Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I got a promotion and raise about a week or so ago.

plus side: more figgies

bad side: now I gotta help interview a lot more.

I don’t mind interviewing that much so it’s not a bad trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
yeah one of the things I will give RTP credit for is having a ton of places to work for. makes recruitment a loving pain though.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

whatever you call your voluble shitposting, don't do it at work

yo what do you call yours?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

HoboMan posted:

well this morning the ceo announced that we are having a merger. what is a good template for cover letters/resumes? i completely suck at writing them

last time I did my resume I just googled “Google Docs resume template”, picked one I thought looked ok, changed some margins and colors around, and put in my info. people responded positively to my resume so I guess it worked.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Aiding with integrations with University IT departments has taught me that no matter how much I suck.

No matter how abrasive I am.

No matter how objectively horrible of both an employee and person I am.

That I can have a senior job title SOMEWHERE.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

raminasi posted:

my girlfriend’s current and previous jobs were both LAMP backend integrations with “i can sort of read it” levels of js so stuff is definitely out there

My work still deploys coldfusion. Although we are pretty close to killing it.

And I wouldn't have an issue hiring a LAMP stack dev, I would very much focus on "can learn to read esoteric bullshit written by somebody else" as an immensely useful job skill.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

buttchugging adderall posted:

...I would very much focus on "can learn to read esoteric bullshit written by somebody else" as an immensely useful job skill.

Just gonna quote this part right here for emphasis.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I have found that most people who ask for a DevOps guy are either:

1. Not aware of what it even is and are just aware that you're supposed to have it. These people CAN be ok to work for if they're willing to listen but it's a crap shoot and I avoid them.

2. Know they need a dev, know they need an operations person (system engineer), but either have budget for one role or are too cheap to pay for the two people they need. They figure hiring a DevOps guy means you get both! These people are awful and I avoid them even harder.

Neither of these people understand that DevOps isn't a job role, it's a work culture thing, and it frustrates the hell out of me.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

jesus WEP posted:

got promoted to team lead, :rip: me i guess

I got that earlier this year.

loving RIP man.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Got annoyed enough at old job to decide to leave.

Absolutely crushed an interview today, feels good.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i have felt like i crushed an interview like 10 times in my life. offers from those times: 0

i have felt like a fuckin worm who doesnt know anything about 15 times. offers from those times: like 10 lol

i like to think of it as being sufficiently penitent in the nerd hazing

I mean I'm going off of what the HR person who called me back said to me, which was that "The CTO cannot stop singing your praises".

So I think I've convinced at least one person that I might know what I'm doing.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
They're just being assholes. I wouldn't worry about it.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Lol my old job figured out that I was looking for work and fired me. Gave me 3 months severance though.

Let’s hope this one joint I just wrapped interviewing with works out so I can get double paid for a few months.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Probably inferred it from looking at my calendar availability or something. I don’t think they’re poo poo enough to use third party recruiters to see who is available for work on LinkedIn but I also wouldn’t put it past them.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
they also were not stupid enough to say that they’re firing me for looking for other work, they just said that it’s obvious I’m not happy there.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

raminasi posted:

tbh this seems like fair play from them, 3 months isn’t nothing and once an employee starts actively looking elsewhere it’s really hard to un-burn them out

you’re right about that and I’m perfectly fine with the deal I got. as much as me telling them I quit would have been satisfying, I am not gonna look at 3 months of salary and benefits as a bad thing.

just found the whole situation mildly funny. not really angry about it, more just amused because if they waited like 3 more weeks they wouldn’t have had to pay me out for 3 months.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I start a new job in May :yotj:

gonna get double-paid for a couple months since the last job let me go with severance.

and the new job is a 20% raise. only real red flag is that it’s BYOD but I negotiated up in salary for that so now it’s money every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I also have literally just joined onto a seed stage startup.