Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

idk about the US but in AU full-time employees earn a mandated 4 weeks of annual leave per-year and employers are required by law to pay out accrued leave balances (personal, sick and long-service) when your employment ends. as such employers consider leave accrual to be a debt obligation that they have to work into budgets and earnings and whatnot.

as such most leave accrual regimens are uniform company-wide and set in stone, usually at the mandated minimum rate. any flexibility towards leave is geared towards encouraging you to reduce your accrued leave. e.g. my employer lets you cash-out up to two weeks (76 hours) of accrued annual leave each financial year. in addition my employer applies ~13% leave-loading which means you get paid more when you consume annual leave.

on the other hand i guess if you lived somewhere with no legally mandated leave accrual or pay-outs then employers might be more "flexible" (read: actually screw you over)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I've had at least one email address with an underscore. It's not as common as it used to be but underscore is a valid character in an email address.

my first ever e-mail account that i opened with hotmail in maybe '98 had an underscore in it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

got a linkedin message from a recruiter for a FTE position and they actually included the potential pay-scale in the message ($110k - $130k AU plus super)! it wasn't much more than i'm getting right now, at least not enough to do citrix networking!

i guess maybe they're desperate?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

animist posted:

i was interviewing today with a GIS company and they were like "yeah turns out a bunch of states used our software for gerrymandering. whoops"

like. what

is it pronounced jizz?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Welp, interview on Monday. I'm pretty sure this is just a practice interview because "From $X per hour" usually means "Up to $X.01 per hour" but we'll see.

It would be nice not to be NOC anymore and get back into proper IT work again, at least?

good luck buddy!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FamDav posted:

so after not interviewing for near on ~5 years due to a whole barrel of self esteem issues, i decided to go interview and snagged a staff engineer position on my first go around. i can wait around to see if my principal promo goes through but honestly i'd probably just leave afterwards anyways.

nice congrats dude

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

for anyone in AU looking to get a position at AWS: a colleague of mine got one today, SRE (sys devops i think is that even a thing?) role paying $140k AUD pre-tax plus stock options and a signing bonus. may involve moving to Sydney which would be a big lol, weird that they're giving little clarity as to what is and isn't remote work.

the interview process was entirely via zoom, 5 hours in one day with a 3 hour break in the middle. standard stuff really and no take-homes. the role was for building out some BGP peering stuff that AWS are doing with Python as the main language. dude has little Python experience and only knows C# but he still passed the interview.

soooo yeah, this dude is pretty competent imo but also an anti-vaxxer and semi-chud so the fact that he landed an SRE role at that base makes me think they're desperate in AU. if you're in AU and looking to switch then it might be worth hitting up some AWS listings or asking recruiters about them.

edit: oh yeah re the anti-vaxx thing it's already an issue with him at our current employer and he's being moved off a customer contract because said customer has vaccine mandates. i asked him what he'd do if AWS have vaccine mandates and he just said "lol for $140k i'll just get the vaccine" lmao these ppl

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 22, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

raminasi posted:

i canít think of a reason aws would care about either of these

at our current employer the guy is actually being forced off a contract at the end of the year because said contract enforces vaccine mandates so our employer had to find somewhere else to put him. if AWS had a similar kind of arrangement with some outfit or something then the same thing could happen but otherwise yeah i agree it's unlikely.

e: oh and yeah the semi-chud thing :rip: fuckin tech etc.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 22, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah easy poo poo aye

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'll clarify but honestly it sounds far easier than what i've seen people mention in this thread for faang interviews

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

10x yikes dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

apropos of nothing:

https://twitter.com/summer__heidi/status/1481408002209226752