Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
If you're on the fence about the situation I'd strongly tend towards a new environment as long as you're confident the new workplace doesn't suck.

I'm a software developer, I do full stack web stuff. I quit my last job about 6 months ago as a senior engineer at a small company because I lost all motivation to work. I'm thinking it was maybe partially just a horrible boring project, but maybe also some other life circumstances.

I'm conflicted whether to get back to a senior dev role and make really good money, or to accept being poor and make half as much doing something that might make me feel less suicidal like project management. I've been applying to project and product management roles without much luck. I started applying to dev roles like a week ago and have been getting a ton of interest and immediate responses for interviews.

I wish I could find a specialty within software development that I find interesting and rewarding. Building websites is clearly not it. Maybe machine learning or buttchain type roles would be better? I know virtually nothing about either.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Under paying your employees and having them leave as a result is just part of the beautiful circle of life

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I have three on site interviews next week with three different places. It's nice to have multiple options and it's surprisingly easy to get dev interviews. But god does interviewing suck.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

I have a 1:1 coming up with the CEO of the small start-up I work for. he's scheduled one with everyone since we just got a series B. any suggestions on questions to ask other than 'how much of that cash can I have'?

Ask personal questions and get to know him better as a person. Making a friend of him is probably more advantageous than any work questions you could ask.

I had an interview today that went really well. They're offering at most 100k for a dev position though and it's using a tech stack that sort of sucks and won't advance my career at all though. It's very chill and I can work whenever and wherever though. Idk what to do.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

My interview today for a back end developer position went well and I suspect they're going to give me an offer. There were some yellow flags though. I asked on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being peaceful and calm work environment and 10 being everything on fire, where they would place themselves. They sort of dodged the question and said they're usually running on tight deadlines and there are occasions where they have to really crunch. "Nothing crazy like 80 hours all the time" which means they're consistently doing something more like 60 hour weeks during times of the year. The place also has some dubious reviews on Glassdoor. They also didn't know for sure who my supervisor would be, or which team I'd be working with. All in all it sounds like a clusterfuck, and their office was depressing as poo poo and out in the suburbs of Denver. It makes me more grateful for my interview on Monday that went well and is somewhere I would also suspect to give me an offer.

The one upside to the place today is they're using a modern tech stack that's transferable to somewhere else down the line, which can't really be said for Monday's interview place.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Also their deadlines are set by executives and there's never any conversation with the development team on how long they expect milestones to take. Deadlines are also set before there's any real scope or feature list for a milestone.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I feel like I can't be overly picky, to be honest. I have a lot of experience working with web dev stuff but I doubt I could pass any sort of technical interview that wasn't how to do basic poo poo in Laravel. I'm very capable of figuring stuff out and working efficiently but feel like I have basically nothing memorized. I'm frankly not a very good developer outside of getting poo poo done and knowing all the non-coding aspects of making and managing projects really well

hayden. fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 15, 2019

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Also I agree there's no point in giving feedback there. The lovely parts are a result of people 5 layers above the person who interviewed me and in a different city. Judging by glass door reviews there's a pretty systemic failure in proper management across the board. The people who can change this are the problem themselves.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

That's the definitive "NOPE" flag.

The guy interviewing me dismissed it because it's "impossible" to estimate timelines when you don't know the features it needs, so it makes sense for the executive to just give a date. This guy said he would potentially be my boss

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Right, but it's mostly the complete lack of awareness that it's possible to *wait* to set a deadline until after it's clearer what actually needs to be done. Setting an arbitrary deadline reeks of someone who is clueless trying to be meaningful or exert their authority in a pointless way.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I just (politely) walked out of my first interview. I show up for the first on-site interview and it turns out it's a technical interview, which wasn't communicated at all. I sat with two engineers who said hello and then immediately tasked me with white boarding some algorithm and data structure problems, when I was really just more showing up to see if it was a good fit. They said they didn't have any questions for me, only the whiteboard exercise. I told them I didn't have a CS background and have never had a reason to memorize or frankly even use algorithm knowledge and that it seemed I wasn't what they were looking for. The job ad mentioned that they build scalable software and they recommended a CS degree (like seemingly every job listing) but it wasn't clear it was an absolute necessity. I thanked them for their time and left after a very awkward conversation about how I didn't want to wedge myself into a role when I was clearly not what they were looking for.

It was a senior level role, but the compensation range given me was close to the non-senior title roles I've been given offers to already. I guess good luck finding candidates with faang style interviews and only paying 100k in downtown Denver.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

100k is the average for a non senior software role in Colorado. I don't have an issue with white board interviews, it was more the lack of communication/advertising about the need for that knowledge for the role, the lack of personal interest in me aside from the ability to draw on a white board, and especially because from what I can tell it's not a very integral part of the job. How often do you need to use memorization of algorithms when doing web development stuff? Also considering that I now have two offers in the same range not knowing any computer science stuff just reinforces they probably need to up their budget.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Got an offer today for a place I'm pretty excited about. I get to work remotely all I want, the team is great, they're paying extremely well and more than I asked for, and 5 weeks PTO. Plus leadership opportunities in the near future. Yay for ending the awful interview process

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The place I accepted an offer from sent me a non-compete that basically says I can't quit to go work for a client, or take any clients from them after leaving for a couple years. This is fine.

There's one part that stands out that seems a little too heavy handed, though: It says I'm required to pay 1.5 years worth of revenue of any "affected" client. The ambiguity of what "affected" means and the previous use of "voluntarily of involuntarily" and "solicit business" all seems a little vague to me. I obviously have no intention of taking their clients, but if I quit and go work for Microsoft and Microsoft winds up with the same client, is that "affecting" my current employer?

I don't know if I'm being overly fussy about this. There was no mention of a non-compete during the entire process and to have it just thrown at me with language I don't understand the full implications of is daunting.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

It also says I can't do *any* web related work without permission, including consulting, unless it's for free AND for a family member. So the exact wording says I'm not allowed to work on my own projects without permission, whether they're commercial or not. So at the very least I would ask them to clarify that.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Given that from what I can tell in Colorado, it's not enforceable anyway, should i just sign and move on with my life? I rather want to push back and say that it's rather daunting for me to sign up for a liability that could possibly be hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars, and that "affecting" is a pretty easy criteria to reach, and their wording is really ambiguous. But I also don't want to be "that guy" and create drama before I even loving start working there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I doubt anyone cares but I decided to just sign the dumb non-compete. The odds that I take an action that they have an issue with, that they actually decide to sue me over it, and it gets enforced despite it not typically being enforceable, are all so tremendously unlikely that it's not worth making a stink over.

I will still be working on my own projects and not telling them, because it's not competing with them anyway and gently caress being treated like a child. If they want to fire me because I made a website about some video game and didn't ask permission first, they can go ahead.