Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

TheFluff posted:

this part of American corporate culture has always been particularly alien to me. I just can't understand the kind of workplace that puts that little trust in its employees. here, you give your three month notice and not only do you keep working for those three months, at the end there's usually a farewell party with cake and your boss gives a speech where they say something nice about your time there and how much they'll miss you and best wishes in your further career etc. sometimes it's even sincere and not just canned phrases.

even when I worked bottom tier phone support in a call center they gave me that level of courtesy when I quit. only one month notice in that place though.

This has been a pleasant change of pace since moving to Stockholm. At the startup I was at in OKC the CEO told me to go gently caress myself when I resigned and told me to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Progressive JPEG posted:

oklahoma city? how big was his novelty cowboy hat?

he had a ten gallon hat and a belt buckle. he was a nice guy up until the moment you ‘left the fold’

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Should engineering managers write code? What do you do when a fellow engineering manager at a company of 60 says they want to focus on ‘process development’ and engineering directorship when they are only 2 months at the company?

I know we largely make fun of tech, but gently caress real life sucks too when people want to put in process boards.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 4, 2019

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Oneiros posted:

imo if the engineering manager is trying to have an active hand in the day-to-day of software development then something has gone horribly, horribly wrong. keeping on top of your reports and their career development and acting as an effective poo poo umbrella is practically a full time job and there's not much time left for computer fun times.

hmm might be our current structure. but at 35 devs, engineering managers still have a lot of fingers in the day to day code on their respective platforms. if I ever get more than 5 people on my plate maybe it becomes a problem. but we also work in teams and I spend my job coaching my people to tell the product manager to suck poo poo (at times) if they have the data to back up their ideas.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

A complete cloud-native framework to protect endpoints with ease: Stop breaches with the power of big data, artificial intelligence (AI) and real-time visibility

https://www.crowdstrike.com/endpoint-security-products/falcon-platform/

working on software that doesn't actually do anything has its upsides

lol our computer janitor desperately wants us to install this on our macs “for security” to give him remote admin.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Stringent posted:

you definitely chose the right thread to post that in

yah. I’m jaded and contemplating a job hunt after the push for our 50 person company to install remote admin tools. problem is I was here when we were 10 people and now at 50 and politics and egos are getting in the way as we struggle for a next round and no one but the 5 of us who remain from the days of yore seem to give a poo poo.

case in point: endpoint protection policies on a cloud based infrastructure company.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 13, 2019

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Question: are you supposed to send a thank you letter after interviews, including phone screens?

I send thank you’s after in person interviews. not expected though.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

i didnt read this garbage post from you but the only good jobs ive had were at startups hth

:same:

I had a bad startup experience but I chalk that up to a shithead CEO who worshipped military culture in Oklahoma City and had a guy literally titled Lieutenant to bark orders at me. I was employee 10 at my current startup in Stockholm and it owns. I’m never going to work for a company with more than 100-150 people again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
has anyone worked in cross functional teams where the engineering manager is managaging the whole team? kinda like ‘squads’ or ‘tribes’ at Spotify I think....

my scale up is thinking about this as an organizational structure and I’m not sure if I’d like being the boss of everyone in a team that is supposed to INNOVATE.