Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
So it will turn into Australia then? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've only really ever been to chicago once and it didn't seem terrible

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

is this allowed

hobby lobby is getting ballsy

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the way we do postdocs at my workplace always feels weird; like they get paid nothing and are in a pretty exploitable position but at the same time they could just apply to a real job here and get paid more and do the same thing...

like i dont understand why we have a postdoc program outside of legacy reasons

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the fun thing is is I can't tell if Im super bad at my current job :thumbsup:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
whenever i have to go to the east coast for meetings or whatever, i kind of make a dumb point out of making sure i don't dress in my everyday working style but i don't go all out because screw those standards

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i had to dress like i worked at a bank for a long time so im not really doing that again without a real occasion

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't know, fortune 500s may not have the immature scandalous insane toxic culture that the worst parts of tech have, but they have their own mess; its like a racism in the north vs racism in the south situation -- and you can settle into kind of a comfortable misery

also if you're not the organization thats doing the primary business then you'll always be stuck in an everything/nothing hell, people breathing down your neck to get something done or fixed but when its compensation time you'll be dismissed to the end of the line

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
he wanted to let you know he was too cool for school, just like zuck and gates

i mean peter thiel said college is dumb so

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also this is now my favorite photo of thiel because its a horrible libertarian monster posed in the most government management headshot

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

first, i'm talking about internship interviews, so if you aren't let's just drop this talking past each other fest

second, help me get this straight: i'm supposed to blow off my core classes and barely pass, so that i can spend all my time working on spare projects that are basically jobs, in order to get to an interview where you grill me on concepts covered in those classes i'm blowing off to get into the interview. if instead i decide to take those same classes seriously and have less time for my own projects, my resume will be thrown in the trash. how am i, as someone seeking an internship, supposed to be able to get past this?

why aren’t you just doing everything at all possible times? come on

but yeah it’s just memes about qualifications leaking

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
when we hire interns, some people are bigger sticklers on GPA than others and we do have a minimum standard at which point if somebody is below it then we need a good argument on why we should give them a pass on it

I put kind of a medium weight on grades for student interns, because school is kind of your primary job at that point and its an ok proxy for what kind of effort you're putting in, but at the same time I know very well there can be extenuating circumstances for a less than stellar gpa; other than that all I really check is what their course background is to see if they have stuff that lines up somewhat with any project I might want them to work on and if they can speak to them like they at least paid attention in class

students are students so evaluating them by the same rubric as you would a more experienced professional is dumb as hell; of course they don't know the same things -- the reason for them pursuing an internship is to get experience they would otherwise not get in school

and for first job candidates its basically the same -- they're entry level people getting their first job

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

Lol at good grades taking the same amount of work as a full time job

i think this is really sensitive to universities and and what peoples goals are in school; I know its a common meme that elite schools are just for wealthy kids to have proper signaling and keep the poor away, but plenty of them have programs are much more challenging than you might encounter at another institution because they're feeding hyper competitive
research areas and/or prestige concerns, and they likewise are filled with hyper competitive students that will put graduate-level effort into things

like there was a kid from the podunk town my cousins live in that was a high achiever in high school and ended up going to Columbia; got there and discovered the place was full of students just as if not way more competitive than he was, had attended way better schools than his little rural high school; between just how competitive the environment was and how different he was from other students, he just couldn't cope and ended up dropping out and committing suicide

I sometimes think that I should have attended a top tier institution; I probably could have gotten in somewhere and given that I lived in a rural poverty shithole even worse than my cousins town really and my parents weren't exactly rolling in money, I probably could have received very good financial aid to a private school at least

I also think its a good idea sometimes that I didn't; I still notice a lot of the effects of the mediocre to poor secondary education I managed to pull out of my piss poor rural high school, between that and unmanaged mental health issues I freaked out enough just attending the average, not even really ranked state university I did attend, so attending some more elite institution might have just resulted in me turning out just like that kid did

I mean I freaked out pretty bad a few times when I was making some graduate studies attempts at Stanford, so I don't know how well undergraduate would have gone for me in a place like that

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol I think I would send an invoice for that interview

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's probably a perfectly fine salary for the candidates they'll take

tons of company will put on an internal/external face of wanting the best and the brightest but then offer no comp and no work that would be even interesting to anyone and then filling up the place with people that are cool with it for one reason or another

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember some guy stopping by my old workplace to do some presentation on open source

basically he had a scanner you could use for projects to determine license strength to make sure you could commercialize your product, and he was pushing companies to open source products so they could externalize maintenance costs

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the use of a lot of wide-scale contracting in enterprises always feels illegal to me but what do I know :shrug:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
because they're not actually independent contractors in pretty much all cases?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like the last company I worked for had a huge contractor presence, and contractor vs employee was pretty much indistinguishable

my thoughts were either

a) this is somehow ok and I just dont know why

or

b) they were counting on nobody realizing this + being a large fortune 100 company with a big legal department, political power, and legal war chest

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like on my team alone, it was my boss, myself, and 3 contractors

the contractors and I did the same kinds of work at the direction of my boss, and as far as I could tell this was standard practice across the company -- management was employees, except on larger projects where there might be some substructure of a contractor acting in a more leadership role of some of the other contractors but with an employee manager on top, and then a mix of employees (keep the project knowledge available in-house) employees and onshore/offshore contractors of various sizes

this also appeared to be standard practice for all the companies in the area, and some people even had little contractor businesses of their own that were working at our company (this changed later when the company decided to exclusively hire from the large firm where most of our contractors came from and didn't renew the smaller contractors, replacing them with staff from this larger company)

the only things I could think of is -- maybe its ok because most of them work in a building across the street (but this also seemed to be motivated by not having enough space for employees so they would push the contractors out of the building, sometimes employees had to work in another building for the same reason -- no space), and their contracting firm managed all their PTO and benefits (but as far as I could tell they would still need to work with their employee manager to take that PTO)?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if there's one thing i've learned from the interviewing thread, its that a lot of people have internalized the abusive practices of the industry as actually good

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coffee Jones posted:

also this interview isn’t for any specific team, this is the end of a final stage interview and they’ll do a cattle call and the managers will just take their picks

well yeah there's no specific job that's being hired for, we just know we need more bodies because we need to scale to anything we start trying to do

since we aren't sure on what job actually needs to be done, that means we need to hire generalists which we will define as people just like us because we think we're generally excellent

so we need to just hire more people we think are just like us, in massive scale

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

I'm reading the 'cracking the coding interview" book just now, very slowly

it still makes me sad there's a whole cottage industry around this stuff

well beyond cottage now, that stuff has venture funding anymore as they're blurring the lines between help guides and practice sites and hiring boards

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

i assume you ask them that so you have a not illegal reason for only hiring white male stanford grads

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there was a story the other day on bbc ws about the future of AI interviewing

also Laszlo Bock had a bit on it and it was a good reminder that afaik everything he ever talks about, google never did, so idgi how he keeps getting to run around using that position as a source of prestige for this knowledge

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh i think buck-passing is a time honored tradition almost everywhere

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think the first time I encountered fizz buzz was on one of those code puzzle websites as like the first or second problem

That was back when those websites were just dinky things for fun instead of the venture funded job listing and interviewing sites they are currently

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

I only found out about fizzbuzz because people were mentioning it online, but I have no problems in using the modulus operator in everyday coding life when I need it, so if it ever comes up in an interview, I think it's no problem.

That said, I think I have so far failed every whiteboard interview I have been to. I am not sure because they usually reply with a bullshit answer like "we felt you are not suitable for the position". I guess I am one of those people who fail whiteboards, even though I usually do try to give a good impression of how I am thinking to solve a problem. The stubborn me is just thinking that if the company dropped my process because of a failed whiteboard, I probably would not have wanted to work for them anyways.

As much talk as there is about how what’s really important is communicating your thoughts and everything and we’re just using this to help us feel out how you solve problems, much like everything in life that uses that talk, 90% of the time all they actually care about is if you do it right and in a period of time with a process they like

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i just want to say that work is bullshit and this thread is testament to that

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
sometimes i think tech has an especially lovely "wrong side of the heuristic" hence all the depression itt

sometimes i feel like i choose the incredibly wrong career path

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
in an industry whose original puzzle interview format got thrown out only recently (and still probably not universally) and whose real intention, interviewer conscious of it or not, was to see if you could confidently bullshit right to their faces and have them buy it, I don’t think openly saying “I don’t know” is a good idea

“Sounds like you’re giving up brah, not curious enough, not driven enough, not Stanford material enough”

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
as another counterpoint to this thread:

my wife can pull more than I do some years, has better rights and representation, and has a much nicer interview process

also a likely more diverse workforce

the only downside she has vs my mode of employment is fewer prospective firms to work for, but she can pretty much walk into a job in any of them and the worst thing she'd have to deal with on any regular basis is pretty vanilla workplace politics for which she often has real recourse

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
basically working in a field with standards and unions owns is what I'm saying

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
plenty of non-profits screw over their employees wrt pay while offering OK benefits; the big money part tends to show up in being a sinecure for someones relative in the c-suite positions

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It’s being gay

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think my first job was like a week of combined sick and vacation that jumped to two after 5 years

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
at the end of the day, as computer touchers, aren't we all just outsourcing our jobs?

makes u think :thunk:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tech in that I was obstensibly a developer yes; other than that no but it was a fortune 500 still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
companies like that kind of prey on university pipelining since a lot of the people I worked with were from the same institution or another nearby one and they recruited there pretty hard

like i had no idea what's good or bad, i was 4 years out of my crappy isolated nowhere rural village and i was getting paid more than my father did :shrug:

i got screwed over a lot in that job

at least that job let me weather 2008+ without things coming out too terribly