Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ThePeavstenator posted:

Turned down the offer. They didn't want to budge on pay and also the employment contract included things like waiving my right to sue and only settling disputes through arbitration. I haven't seen that in an employment contract before and it set off some internal alarm bells. I've seen non-competes and "we own your intellectual property unless you put every idea you've ever had before working here in this box" clauses, but is waiving your right to sue a common thing?

It is now thanks to https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/business/supreme-court-upholds-workplace-arbitration-contracts.html

companies waited all of a day before shoving that poo poo directly into the boilerplate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

CPColin posted:

Yep. I think my boss also assumed I was asking for special treatment when I asked for more vacation time and the option to work from home, when really I think giving employees only two weeks a year is a loving travesty and nobody should be given so little time off. Boss also started talking about how if everybody were working from home, certain things wouldn't get done, because every manager around here is a loving coward, incapable of providing discipline, I guess.

Anyway, I'm going to press the issue after they get back from vacation.
I get that you work outside of a main city and can't move and are also comfortable with seniority in your job, after reading this saga in this and the techbubble thread my friend you are getting taken advantage of. There are sites and companies that like to pick up remote workers and you should try and seek them out. You should have an especially easy time since your standards are so low.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if Ciphas can do it, you can tooo~

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I am so sick of interviews. 3* more this week

*on the other side of the table

please, where are you, tech unicorns

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 6, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If it's just a 30m phone screen and people are watching your hours, lunch can be a good time to squeeze it in. If you can't get away for an hour during business hours, how are you going to do the in-person?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fiedler posted:

unsurprisingly, nbsd is mistaken.

6.5 figgies is ~316k.
a p deece 6.5 figgies is 150k.

this is all well-established.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's really amazing how consistently nbsd gives bad and ill-informed advice, every single page has nbsd posting an opinion and then someone's immediate dunk on it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm a middling programmer but more than passable sysadmin because my mind immediately goes to "sort file | uniq -d"

their solution looks like something an intern would write and while i'd probably let it through code review and i guess it's much easier to immediately read than your solution but it's also really, really coarse.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 5, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
a modest proposal

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
when are you in manager meetings discussing how your subordinates are going to be laid off and then you don't tell them because it'd cause "disruption"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

maybe I should put "yospos thought leader" on my resume
im the yospos thot leader