Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what's wrong with a 60 year old who wants to be underpaid in exchange for valuable job experience?

at that age overworking them might kill them instead of merely drive them out of the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Sapozhnik posted:

there is no death slow and painful enough for property hoarders

it's been a long time since such a small group of people have been so utterly parasitic and had such a deleterious effect on a civilization scale

what do you mean by property hoarder

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Sapozhnik posted:

well, you know how there's a bunch of people driving all these new build condo developments in the middle of every major city, where the units are all bought sight unseen, and there's some system for turning the lights on and off in each unit periodically even though nobody actually lives there?

yeah, those people

who the gently caress did you think i meant

i honestly had no idea

as far as i knew property hoarding could just mean owning more than one home, like you live in washington during the summer and florida during the winter

buying property you literally never use didn't occur to me because it's weird and stupid

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

the only other example i could think of was rental properties that sit empty because the owner priced them too high

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Poniard posted:

Got a call today from a company that says they are gonna get me ~secret clearance~ but I have to do prescreen paperwork on a pdf that isn't even signed properly. The person over the phone emailed it to me and all their info seems to be in order but I know that poo poo can be faked. There's a page on the company's website that says there are some fun identity theft scams going around where someone calls you and asks for all your personal info as if to fill out security clearance paperwork but you just get owned. I know government contractors are behind the times with technology but I don't know if this is legit or if I'm just being paranoid.

most def handle your due diligence. don't be shy about refusing to submit private info through a sketchy communication line. but yeah, it's crazy how many companies gently caress up basic poo poo like that

a company that wanted to contract my employer as a vendor sent a form that asked all kinds of questions about security clearance and regulation compliance. it was in a word document containing macros. in tyoomfl 2015

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Poniard posted:

I'm gonna make the call that it was legit. They told me I could print the forms out and hand deliver it to the office or the government classic... send it by fax.

good

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

gonadic io posted:

This is exactly why you shouldn't give a number. If you ask for 50 and they can only do 40 they'll tell you and you'll get 40.

If you ask for 40 and they were going to give you 50 they'll just say "yeah sure 40".

If you let them offer first then you don't have the opportunity to underbid yourself

yeah let them make an offer first if you can

last two places i interviewed:
#1 i bid first at about 30% above my current salary, and they didn't even haggle
#2 they bid first at 48% above the same salary

the interviews were less than a year apart so seniority wasn't a huge factor

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

typescript has made a few of my node modules way easier to maintain and generally more pleasant to work with

react has become my preferred framework for front end web stuff. I've been curious how well it plays with typescript, but so far i haven't felt a pressing need to combine them

angular still sucks

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Fiedler posted:

You failed a phone screen on a problem that you had already solved?

or they picked someone else based on a resume bullet point and the phone screen was moot

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

i spent 2+ years on a gargantuan eclipse rcp that encompassed three plugins and i forget how many different projects for releng, the update site, etc. ad nauseam

then we rewrote it as a vscode extension in like a week and abandoned the rcp almost immediately

since then the only time i've had to touch java is for android, and even then most of my newer projects use c#/xamarin

i don't miss java

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

specialization is where the money is

i have no idea what a "generalist" is. someone who is always earning entry level wages?

in theory it's someone with enough experience to understand programming fundamentals and be familiar with a few different languages

in practice it's someone who's aware of the existence of "beginning python" and "javascript for dummies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i've noticed an unexpected bonus of hunting for a job when you're not trying to get out asap and also because you're remote you're overpaid for your region: not only can i play hardball with recruiters, but when they inevitably tell me the salary band and i tell them it's way too low i'm gently nudging the salary higher for everyone else in the region :patriot:

this is pretty loving brilliant