Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you’re writing c or c++ and you don’t know how to do basic singly linked list operations then you are not capable of doing your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

please dont diy lock-free data structures

I cannot stress this enough

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

then stop putting it in interviews

I would never ask anyone to implement a lock free algorithm in an interview because I would never be able to hire anyone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

i assume you ask them that so you have a not illegal reason for only hiring white male stanford grads

I’d never hire a Stanford grad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

asking someone to implement a lock free queue in an interview could be interesting because it can be interesting to see how somebody flails in a high-pressure situation where they know they are going to fail

that’s just being an rear end in a top hat.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

from page 6 but i'm gonna give this a shot at a big company here and see what happens

that’s some serious overthinking. look, managers have headcount to fill. they want someone who will write some code well. recruiters have hiring goals. they want to find a candidate that will pass the interview and agree to accept their offer. they’re all humans just like you are, they’re not gatekeepers to some exclusive club. they want good candidates just as much as you want a good job. just be a normal human and say that you’re looking for a job, you like their company, and you think you could fit in there and have the skills they want.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kudaros posted:

First question right off the bat was "is this job going to bore you?". Nah man, I'm actually curious about stuff.

this question means they think you’re overqualified.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

CS

edit: I guess technically CS and CpE undergrad, CS masters

looking in the storage world or what?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you ever think you are not good enough to do something look at the idiot morons already doing it and remove that stupid idea from your mind

yeah this.

St Evan Echoes posted:

i like the people i work with but i got stuck on a horrible “3 month” project that’s gonna take a year and probably perpetual maintenance duty

long story short, ive been there a year. what is the shortest amount of time to be at a job before it doesnt look bad to be applying other places

if you do this regularly, at least two years. if it’s a one off it doesn’t matter if you can tell a good story. and I don’t mean complaining about how bad it is. come up with a reason that doesn’t make you look like you had problems, just that things didn’t work out. “I joined as a backend engineer and they’re mostly having me do ui work, which is not really my specialty”

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Penisface posted:

I am not really greedy in terms of money, but I do not want to do what probably amounts to charity work so that someone else gets rich, especially if this is in a startup-style environment where everyone needs to work towards eventual profitability.

getting compensated fairly for your work is not greed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pollyanna posted:

the idea is that startups would pay you in equity/stocks so itll pay off once they make it big but 1. they dont make it big 2. they dont offer it anyway

the math behind this almost never makes sense. you have to weigh the equity versus risk of failure. you also have to consider every dollar you’re passing up on from a stable job as an investment in the company.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

a very small horse posted:

hey i mostly lurk but i just doubled my salary at least partially thanks to this thread so thanks

also holy hell i have no idea what i'm doing, gently caress

hobbesmaster posted:

nobody knows what they’re doing

If they do they’re overqualified :v:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
working on this internal transfer because I realized my group is hopeless, and it’s taking forever. don’t know how long I can pretend to still care about what I’m doing.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Lol if your resume isn't in latex

it’s cast in latex. I just drop it like a mic on the table when I come in for an interview.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

meatpotato posted:

this might be a good time to ask this question then

I just made a linkedin to look for a job (currently have none). Are these messages worthwhile to pursue, or am I likely to be wasting my time? I haven't tuned my linkedin spam sense yet.

never reply to recruiters offering contract gigs or recruiters that don’t mention the company name.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

raminasi posted:

good luck! remember that rejections aren’t necessarily your fault, even if you get a bunch in a row!

you’re going to bomb some interviews. it happens to everyone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a Facebook recruiter hit me up yesterday. how do I tell her that everyone hates them and their stock is not going anywhere and I would be ashamed to work there, but also if you give me a fuckton of money and everything I want I’ll consider it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rex-Goliath posted:

after sleeping on it i think i'm just gonna accept the offer when i get home and only continue pushing for the raise if my boss brings it up. i made it clear that i was underpaid and HAVE been underpaid since i started and getting back 'hopefully it'll be fixed in six months' isn't acceptable.

it's a real shame because all other aspects about working here have been great and would be enough to get me to overlook a pay gap but not one this severe

ah well

lol, your boss isn’t going to bring up anything. your silence is your implicit acceptance.

consider reducing your productivity until you are suitably compensated. go see a movie after lunch.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just respond “boy, I’m sure not gonna miss this guy.”

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

Yeah pretty much. I can count on one hand the number of times when a candidate has started out very strong and gradually deteriorated to a No Hire over the course of the interview. And yeah it's not because we make it easier because we like them, it's because we make it harder and they still keep answering the questions adequately.

interviews mostly go very well or very poorly, with little in-between. you can usually tell in the first five minutes which one it will be.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
when I was a young engineer and I was a snide rear end in a top hat / socially awkward idiot, I would have been totally incapable of dealing with customers and luckily was nowhere near them.

now that I’m older I’ve learned how to smile and pretend I’m interested in people and generally get along even with dumb annoying people. so I can do customer interaction but I still hate it.

signed,
snide rear end in a top hat socially awkward idiot

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PokeJoe posted:

giving interviews sucks about as much as doing them. you get a glimpse at the endless shitshow parade that is tech applicants

phone interviews are terrible. except in the rare instance where you definitely know the candidate is cheating, then it’s hilarious.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mekkanare posted:

Speaking of phone interviews, is there a reason places won't do them outside the day? I am finding that companies do not want to schedule interviews for 18:00-19:00 on week nights and I honestly don't understand why if the business is running 24-7 the interviews can't be as well.

let me tell you how this interview is going to go. the interviewer going to be begrudgingly talking to you on the phone instead of having dinner with their family. they will ask you some questions to keep you talking and maintain the appearance of an interview for the scheduled time while not listening one bit to anything you say. it will be pretty obvious to you that they don’t care about this interview. while you’re talking the interviewer will be writing a review, saying you’re a mediocre candidate and not worth bringing in. your questions will be answered curtly and not very encouragingly. you will feel that it’s the end of the road before you hang up the phone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hey I got an offer from a company! They want me to start in 'a week or two'. Additionally, the job is halfway across the country, lololololol.

You guys... know I currently work at a company I have to give notice at right? I'm not a vagrant with just a bindle to sling over my shoulder and now I can just hitchhike across the country to get there.

How long is acceptable to allow for a hire to move 1300 miles across the country?

At least now have something concrete to give to the other company that's been in the hiring process with me for 5 weeks now (I am literally the only person they're interviewing and are now scheduling interviews with my references) to say "you have to pull the trigger dude because I cannot say no to this company willing to pay me more but they will move on if I don't answer by Thursday"

if they want you there that soon they better be paying for a moving service that will pack and transport all of your stuff, renting you temporary housing, and providing a service that will help you find a more permanent place to move.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Clowner posted:

No, random cold-calling recruiter from a placement agency, I will not tell you my expected salary before you even start showing my resume to your clients

Lol at the very idea of recruitment agencies in tyool 2019

I love telling these guys what my expected total comp is. oh, you want that in an hourly figure? no problem. somehow I never hear back

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ferr posted:

just finished up this process:

-recruiter phone screen
-engineer phone screen
-in-person coding exercise
-take-home coding exercise
-video chat review of take-home coding exercise
-in-person whiteboard exercise
-interviews with 4 team members

ugh. these assholes think way too much of themselves. this is way too many steps and the proper response to this kind of nonsense is to tell them to get hosed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jesus WEP posted:

do you typically get told how many stages there are up front or is it usually drip-fed such that you only know about the next stage?

“can you tell me what your interview process is like?”

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
code coverage is a meaningless measurement like klocs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ugh, nonstop talkers are the worst. you have to learn how to be rude and interrupt them and say that it’s time to write some code. otherwise they will talk forever and it hurts them because you can’t evaluate them.

take home exams can be instructive to the taker. if they give you something that should take an hour and it would really take 10 hours, you know they are unrealistic and you can :sever: immediately. if it’s a pointless exercise that doesn’t test any real skill other that you being able to grind out some code, they are bad at interviewing. if it’s ridiculously easy then either they don’t understand what your level is or they are morons.

a good take home problem should be easy to code but prove you have enough language and critical thinking skills to solve it in a good way. just like any other interview question.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the proper response to this is to send them a project that very slowly blends in an image overlaid on top of the site, getting more and more opaque until it obscures the content entirely. the image is hello.jpg.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Foo posted:

My desired compensation is competitive within the industry, I trust you know what that range is

this is good. when they don’t know if they want you, the recruiter has all the leverage because they can decide if they want to go ahead with the interview or not. once they interview you and decide to hire, the recruiter has to negotiate. of course this is disastrous for the company because they will only hire those that are dumb enough to negotiate before the interview and willing to accept those terms, which is a big red flag.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used to do my resumé in html. for recruiters that asked for word format, I would just change the extension to .doc and word would happily display it. one recruiter got upset that I “locked the document” because apparently whatever software he was using to strip the contact info didn’t work with it. I also put a tracking bug in there, which showed me how many times my resume was opened at different companies.

these days it’s pdf only.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah this sounds good. You can do it politely, just ask them to confirm this is correct with your manager (cc them if they're cool). Whatever happens then at least your boss knows you got screwed, and hopefully he would care.

the answer here is that you’ve already accepted an offer. your compensation is no longer up to the recruiter, that contract is signed. they have no power to fire you. they can escalate it with HR and your management, but I doubt they will get far with that.

your boss should back you up and tell them to get hosed if they try anything. if he doesn’t then it’s probably time to start looking for a different job anyway.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the only reason I go to work is because I need money. if I didn’t need money, I would not go to work. any other answer is a lie.

now you could argue that the question was intended to ask why he wanted to work with them in particular versus any other employer, but it didn’t.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sapozhnik posted:

"So uhh, if you had to come up with an estimate, how many ping pong balls would fit inside a Boeing 737?"
"That what you do here? Fill aircraft with ping pong balls?"

this is honestly the best response.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MononcQc posted:

(mostly FAANG and their satellites paying 6 figgies)

is that a lot?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

Obviously 6.5 figures is half way between six figures (100,000) and seven figures (1,000,000), which is 500k

halfway is 550k, but everyone knows 6.5 figgies is $150k

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

no 150k is a p deece 6.5 figgies.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a p deece 6.5 figgies is 316k, no more and no less

I’m getting mixed messages here

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

6.5 figgies is ~316k.
a p deece 6.5 figgies is 150k.

this is all well-established.

i concur with my esteemed colleague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the real lesson here is that no matter your definition, you should be striving to maximize those figgies