Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what about in the case that you want to pivot to swift? i imagine side projects in it are going to be essential if your day job is 100% java

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Fiedler posted:

if you land a gig at a big tech company they'll double (or more) your comp and pay to relocate you. some of them are even located in places that aren't terrible. all you have to do is prove you can write code on a whiteboard. they all have at least hundreds of job openings.

write code on a whiteboard and stanford in the alma mater box on the application, maybe

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

you're professionally obligated to tell everyone about it at all times

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

jit bull transpile posted:

yeah my last gig was 70k also and I got no bonus or stock of any kind. apple was a real upgrade but seeing the millionaire crew bragging up in here hosed with my head.

perspective successfully reattained.

i'm 4 hours' drive from madison and i started at 75, got a rank up promotion after 2 years to 95. no bonus (except a couple hundred/yr "growth-driven profit sharing" during years of contracting revenue) no stock

probably wouldn't even get in the door at a FAANG

e: at a legacy tech major, one of their smaller development sites, in a town of about 100,000

carry on then fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 21, 2019

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

for context it's a graduate degree from a #1 CS school. the kids are basically all heavily recruited and juggling multiple offers from top firms

guess my parents should have been richer

whoops

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Scionix posted:

CS at UT, which was like top 15 when I was there, was a lot of very hard things about advanced statistics, dynamic programming, operating systems, memory management, esoteric data structures, and specialized programming techniques that not a single person I've interviewed with has given one iota of a poo poo about

School was so much harder than having a job lol

almost like the value of an expensive program is access to connections and getting recruited by top firms

every job fair at my college had GM trying to fill an "onshoring" IT center and two defense contractors who were more interested in electrical engineers. that's it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

jesus WEP posted:

working for IBM: bad idea or terrible idea?

it's going to depend pretty heavily on what division and what site

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maximum Leader posted:

you know they're going to make you use lotus notes right

they sold the notes development to hcl so hopefully not for long

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Dijkstracula posted:

One of my closest friends is at IBM and I've met a bunch of their colleagues, this is the impression I get.

Like, as of 2013-2014 their team was building cgi-bin scripts in Perl 4, and if I'm reading between the lines correctly my friend didn't get any stock grants, so it isn't clear that you'll have anything to add to your resume or be able to stack those figgies, but eh it's a job I guess?

advancement is super slow, like there are people with 30 years with the company who are only 2 or 3 promotions above a new hire

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

nbsd is racist against indians

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sapozhnik posted:

ibm employee, sobbing: please sir, you can't just call everything we do watson
ceo: *points to break room coffee machine* watson(r).

this is not an exaggeration in the slightest

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

have you tried being a better candidate? if you get outskilled that isn't time to shrug your shoulders and say "nothing i could do about it" it's to take a hard look in the mirror and loving improve yourself

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ADINSX posted:

Cool this is good advice, have you tried closing your laptop and jamming it up your rear end?

have you tried being selected for a job ?

just for the record i'm not talking about some small adjustment to what you said in an interview, i mean if you weren't selected that's a sign that your skills and expertise aren't cutting it. you need to improve yourself, majorly, if you're passed over.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i've been helping out interview interns for this summer and we have a coding test that does the same drat thing

question one is consume a simple api

question two is (identical to) unbounded knapsack

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cheese eats mouse posted:

holy gently caress rescinding the chase offer was like breaking it off with a needy guy you went on one date with

I’m moving to nyc :toot:

men are such loving garbage

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Flat Daddy posted:

pro: having unlimited jobs to pick from and therefore near guaranteed financial security in a time when almost no one in this country or world has this
cons: surrounded by people that share my interests, personality, and career choice aka NERDS!!!!

this, but unironically

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

KidDynamite posted:

so my recruiter's boss reached out to me because the recruiter is on pto. she's calling me today at 2pm with "good news" now to make it till then without telling my director(who put me on pip for refusing to work weekends and is onsite from head office) smdftb during the team meeting today.

pip pip cheerio

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

minnesota is only uninhabitable in the summer to minnesotans, it is seriously not that bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

i've given up on understanding figgies past six, someone dragged logarithms into this

it's just dollars = 10^(figgies-1), plug that sucker into wolfram alpha if you wanna

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=10%5E5.4

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it's $316228, the math is quite clear on this

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

they left a comment on one of the answers

quote:

Our niche is trying to be people's 2nd dev job, so our pitch is mostly to people inclined to quit. We don't hire juniors as then the more experienced people quit if they are forced to deal with them. So everyone we hire is poached from somewhere or applied to the posting. And then we basically take what we can get.

get a load of this brain genious over here

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

a few links from that so post i found an article that's 100% concentrated Rich White Boomer:

https://digiday.com/marketing/wtf-millennials-dealing-with-agencies-newest-generation/

quote:

The other side of this thirst for young talent is a familiar one to anyone in business: the newest generation of workers often seems, well, different from other generations. Much has been made of the millennials. They’re confident. They’re optimistic. They’re an ADD generation. They’re suffering from separation anxiety after having spent their early years receiving the constant attention of helicopter parenting and winning trophies for finishing in 16th place. They have been told they’re the best, and their opinion is equal to anyone else’s, even those far older and more experienced than them.

It’s enough to leave managers in their 30s, 40s and beyond scratching their heads and feeling very much like grumpy old cranks who want those drat kids to turn down their music and get off their lawns. Digiday asked agency executives, with the promise of anonymity to not offend the delicate sensibilities of their young charges, to share their frustrations in managing the ad world’s next generation of leaders.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

nerds love to hoard trivia and lord it over everyone else

saying "i don't know" is a weakness to them

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

street doc posted:

This thread got quiet.

I have a solid lead for new role, passed first two rounds remotely, including 1 full day round with entire team. Next step is on-site, but it’s been delayed and is now TBD. Can’t tell if they’re fishing around for other candidates, or if it’s still on.

a full day remote interview with an entire team sounds... not fun

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

if you're resume isn't just a list of npm packages you've created sorted by downloads it's going in the trash

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

DELETE CASCADE posted:

who the hell knows aws/react/angular/python AND ALSO cobol/jcl/plsql

like seriously the overlap of that venn diagram must be the empty set

the only people i can even think of work for ibm lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bored Online posted:

i completed it and was immediately met with a 3hr hackerrank assessment

im not particularly stoked about this interview pipeline or the company in general but its
a company that isnt disappearing, i know someone there, and itd give me practical experience which im not getting as a sysadmin rn soooo

sounds like ibm lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

qirex posted:

my first two interviews with google [main goog and youtube] were like this, love getting belittled for not going to grad school by someone who's been doing my job for one sixth the time

still don't understand why you'd ever ask someone with a full decade of relevant experience about college courses

it's because they needed something in order to feel superior to you, op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the die is cast

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PIZZA.BAT posted:

ha yeah the guy i was reviewing it with mentioned, 'so wait she built her resume in latex but didn't list that as a skill?'

i responded by asking if he'd want people to know he knew how to use it.

'ah.... good point'

i mean, even when i was in college and used latex for math homework the sum of my skill was how to google "<what i want to do> latex"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Quackles posted:

This happened to someone I know:

Founder: "We didn't consider your Masters in Computer Science to be relevant experience. I don't really put much stock in education because I'm not educated myself."

This was for a developer job.

:shrug:

culture fit lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PokeJoe posted:

Got a new kind of recruiter email today, she attached her headshot to the message

accuse her of aimbotting

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

qirex posted:

we're interviewing for a director of our team [I noped out of applying] and this guy we talked to yesterday, when asked the insanely normal question of what types of things would you do you do if senior management says they don't want to give our team the resources it needs? answered "I'd threaten to quit"

verbatim

ask him would he follow through

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

barkbell posted:

oh ya ci/cd was a nice to have stretch goal along with pagination and some other stuff lmao

i'm sure if any of this was not the pinnacle of performance/efficiency it'd've been points off

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

RokosCockatrice posted:

*me, mid drawing a "1" in front of some numbers on a recent paystub*: they're wrong, this feels legit

big

energy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

give 3 extra dollars to charity and write only those off. bing bong so simple.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

huhu posted:

I'm now 3 for 3 with being told pay bands in the first interview. I'm loving this.

ba da ba ba ba?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the trick is to work on packaged middleware that clients deploy their own apps on top of. no production to take down

instead you get to issue recommended hotfixes when you ship a freakin typo that hard breaks your component in a jcl job lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

15, in a nearly 400,000 person enterprise, all individual contributors

management here is a separate progression track from development, so people don't normally get promoted into management, just into reporting to management further up the chain

carry on then fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 16, 2021