Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
12 applications and only two callbacks to show for it. Guess it's time to play the numbers game instead of the "would be cool to work for" game.

Anyone have good resources for the dumb trivia hour stuff hr loves to use for screens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Phone interview with Hulu today. Wish me luck.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Just under a year ago I accepted a job at a place I knew would be chaotic/lovely. It is, and the figgies are high I guess but they don't go as far in my area. That said I *think* I'm doing alright (but its hard to tell thru imposter syndrome) and can stay for a bit longer if I want...

But I started talking to another company. They want me for one of three senior roles. The biggest drawback is on their jobs site there's dozens of open senior roles making me think they churn a lot...

Their first-party recruiter seems aggressively interested after just one call, and wants me to pick one of the three roles and provide salary expectations (I'm going firmly to hold off on salary discussion, hopefully getting them to make me an offer after an in-person)

The three roles are (in order of what the recruiter told me is the "greatest need")
Sr Salesforce engineer
I'm not too familiar with salesforce, but have experience with what I think are other similar/proprietary systems
This role has the "greatest need" according to recruiter = $$$?
Since I openly mentioned I have little salesforce experience, its a little worrying they mentioned this at all

Sr engineer for cloud apps or services or whatever
Been getting a lot of cloud services experience at $currentjob
Will be working on their flagship product (not sure if job security? probably some rough legacy code?)

Sr engineer involving machine learning stuff
Machine learning is hot right now = $$$$$?
I have a ton of data, stats, research etc experience, this is probably closest to my comfort zone
But they mentioned this the least pressing role

What I need is
- Is it a bad idea to leave a job I could probably keep working at (though stressed) after only a year? Will "more figgies" be an acceptable excuse in 5 years or whatever when someone asks me?
- how to encourage this recruiter to move along with the process, and switch the conversation from me providing salary expectations to them making me an offer
- weighing the pros and cons of the three positions

thank you for helping me yospos

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 23, 2019

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks for the thoughts you two.

Still looking for further advice or a magic set of words on how to shift the "we need to talk about compensation now or we aren't moving forward" shtick to me getting them to make an offer first

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Hi yospos will you review my resume?

I've never had to deal with a 3 page resume so I'm looking for formatting/cutting ideas if nessesary. Obv for non healthcare jobs I remove the "health" section, and I have a similar section for education jobs

how do i better genericize this poo poo? I find myself customizing each resume for way too long just to make the same words match the dumb posting

how much time should i spend tailoring resumes and cover letters when I'm applying through a portal? Should I save that for networking jobs?

I could also use some advice if you feel like reading what fed me up with my current job, and want to help me keep it long enough to find a new one. xpost from the newbie programmer thread

quote:

e: Snipped for privacy. Thanks for the help!

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 4, 2019

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks for the help a few pages back!

MononcQc posted:

<tons of specific help>

Not sure if you're still around, but I think part of the problem is I think I don't know the right way to describe most of the stuff I did in a way that appeals to potential employers, or even which things they are interested in. I've been using job descriptions to sort of guess this, but it results in a lot of mess, and I think it loses some of the real things I could offer.

The other part of the problem is that I got lost describing between "writing down what I did" and "write down what I did in a way that projects me go up the ladder" and "getting past dumb HR screens because I don't have enough keywords"

Revision coming soon! Hope you can take a look at that too.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

After bouncing this resume around the forums a bunch (thanks to those who have given feedback already) I feel a lot better about this one, and am about to finally give this bad boi a spin. One last look would be a huge help!

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Was referred to Google and was rejected before even taking to a recruiter. Rip

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Exploiting network for new opportunities; one contact introduced me to a bunch of his. One of them has a high chance of knowing my direct supervisor, likely even very well, who I don't want to know I'm looking. How would you play this?

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Just did two tech screens. Had great personal and technical dynamics with both sets of interviewers. I went down the correct paths algo wise and had great collaboration wrt architecture and system design - we discussed many alternate solutions and arrived at the right one (I think)

A week later I am informed I did not pass either because I "required too much help" - apparently I was collaborating but they weren't.

Not sure if me or thread title.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Amazon screen tomorrow. Wish me luck fellow garbage haulers

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

E: thanks for the guidance

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 15, 2019

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks for being the voice of reason, thread. It helps to know I'm not a crazy imposter sometimes.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Big name media company wants me to fly across country to nyc and on-site + meet the team in less than a week. It's for a remote position. Is it normal to reimburse for flights?

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Anyone have that formula on how to convert to hourly rate from salary? Can't find the page it was on.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Is there an equivalent set of The Questions for the other side of the table? Hiring a td director level. Thought I remembered some popping up at a point.

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

technical director