Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Valeyard posted:

I'm chasing up opportunities in London

goonspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Going to apply for my first terrible programming job. Whats the cv speak way to say I found a memory error bug on our unis hpc, detailed what was happening, wrote a little report on it and sent it off to the server-wizards who were then able to identify it and fix said bug? Seems like its something worth mentioning to show that I'm not a total idiot can do things but not really sure how to phrase it in a way that sounds cv like but also doesn't sound totally trivial.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

The Management posted:

“oh, base salary is just one component of my compensation package. my take home varies depending on how the stock is doing. let’s talk about what your total comp is”

as ever the post/username combo

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

oooookay, as promised i just finished spending a few hours on resume and i think it's a lot better but i could use feedback on a couple things

- i have no idea how to "jazz" it up further or what, my sense of style has abandoned me. i wonder if a bit of blue on key phrases would be good or something?
- That second page is loving dire, should I just delete it or just trim down to one page (what should i wipe out in this case)
- other feedback?

there were a couple more things i wanted to slip in but couldn't really justify their presence, namely that i've got instincts like whoa for memory problems and debugging in general, but i guess i can bring those up at interviews instead

I'm just a board goon with a copy of indesign but I quickly mocked this up https://i.imgur.com/VNtXtur.png.

qhat hast lots of good advice, the address could be shrunk down etc but I've always found that being bold with white space pays off. there is not point fitting masses of information on one page if it all just blurs into one.

this test page is still a bit wall of text-y to my eyes but that can also be fixed by fiddling around with your sentences as others have suggested. pm me if you want the file etc

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

your a good poster and person Ciaphas, you will make it to the promised land of figgies :unsmith:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

which ireland is the good one? i always forget

the one that kicked out the English

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

thanks for the info, then

both openings the recruiter had are for gambling machine companies which is pretty :\ but really anything beats current, so we'll see i guess

what are you talking about! this is the perfect setup for the big ~*goonproject: Las Vegas heist*~

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Bloody posted:

felt very much like a generic tech interview the entire time. on-site was some whiteboard programming and some behavioral nonsense.

whats killing me is that i think i don't want to take it? like the other two companies (1 i have an offer from, the other i expect today) are more attractive - more interesting-sounding work, way better work/life balance, and better commute, but i have no idea how i could turn down such a ridiculously large pile of cash

take the cash then do this in a few years when you have FAANG on your resume and figgies in the bank

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Also who knows if the bubble will pop in the next few years so take it while you still can etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

whats a good book for revising stupid fizzbuzz problems?