Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

me: "I want jobs <here>"
recruiters, of the cold calling type: "WE HAVE JOBS ANYWHERE BUT THAT LOCATION"

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bob dobbs is dead posted:

xpost the doomsday economics thread in cspam

This got brought up in the schad thread over in PYF, but this sort of stuff is par for course for universities. What happens is they're required, if they take any sort of public (tax) money, to post the opening publicly, even if they already have someone who will be filling it. If someone applies to it who meets all the qualifications, chances are they'll repeat the same process, make an "application", and fill it "internally".

So tl;dr: they're internal postings that are required to be posted publicly in this case.

e: a few years ago when the University of Wisconsin-Madison football coach left for another school, they posted the open coaching position publicly, even though, for all intents and purposes, it was going to be an internal search. Universities have weird requirements for this so don't read too much into that specific incident with Notre Dame.

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 16, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Most of the cold calling, headhunting emails I get don't even bother with the name.

And then I tell them "no, I'm not interested in that area" and get 9001 more from that person for every single area that's not the area I stated I was interested in.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ciaphas posted:

i wish i got headhunters or even basic loving interest from anyone whatsoever besides the USAF contractors presently employing me

i'd be loving stoked to ever see an email like that even if the only correct action is to file it away and never respond

I carpet bombed all the major job boards and set the "I'm open to recruiters" flag. If you even look like you'll be even the tiniest bit qualified they'll throw poo poo at you. I think a lot of it is people trying to meet numbers (I ran into one of these the other day), but who knows.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KidDynamite posted:

I don’t code outside of work. I have a few other time consuming hobbies that I enjoy way more.

I'm a weirdo that likes doing side projects like this. I apologize for ruining it for everyone else :eng99:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

All my side projects are on my own (relatively large) free time. I just want someone to see I'm capable of coding without having to do a test.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What the hell? That's dumb

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

manero posted:

:words: on vettery

So I threw my stuff into here, and I have one major complaint:

The lack of locations they allow you to select is absolutely bullshit, and they don't allow you to put in a city that is not listed. My loose definition of a "major city" is a city that has a major 4 sports team in the US, exempting Green Bay. By this standard, they're missing: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Milwaukee*, Kansas City, Portland... I could go on. There's a lot of locations missing and it really hamstrings the site.

*Milwaukee is a weird duck because of how close it is compared to Chicago. It's 90 miles, so if you select Chicago, you might get some Milwaukee jobs. However, not having any of the major Ohio cities, ESPECIALLY Columbus, is dumb if you ask me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ohio also has one of the most well known universities in the country in Ohio State. You'd think they'd include Columbus.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

protip, don't work at amazon.

I had a recruiter call me, I told him, "no Amazon" and then goes into why I should reconsider.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ADINSX posted:

So I've heard all kinds of opinions about amazon ranging from "lol don't work there" to "its not bad depending on what team you're on". I'm in Seattle and I've decided I want a big name on my resume. I've been specializing in BIG DATA processing and technologies for the last couple of years and would like to continue with that, so working for AWS specifically is something I'm seriously considering.... (I've heard too many horror stories about Google, and I'd probably never make it past their interview process anyway... and Microsoft is... Microsoft... which leaves AWS, it doesn't hurt that they're headquartered here and are the biggest of the big three cloud companies)

Does anyone have experience working at AWS, or knows someone that does?

That what was the recruiter was saying. I'm also not interested in Seattle either :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I found a posting for a programmer position once that said

quote:

typical work week is 8-5, M-F
The next line

quote:

employee will be expected to occasionally work evenings and weekends, as well as on call work

That tab got closed fast

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also gently caress coding tests

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I saw it in the wild, that an employee would have to sign an "assignment of inventions" agreement or some bullshit on the posting page. Yes, you are going to patent my *checks notes* Project Euler work in functional Python.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is it worth paying for linked in or no?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Diva Cupcake posted:

the volume of unsolicited recruiters contacting you definitely goes up with premium. I would never pay for it unless I was actively looking.

I get several a day, so hard pass

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can count on one finger the amount of times I had to write a sorting function in the workplace.

Which is usually what they ask you to write. Though if you want to be an rear end you can always write the functional version!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Z notation

:barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sleng Teng posted:

I'd love to but you couldn't squint at my relevant experience and get 5 years, I'm too green still!

As stated, send it in. On of my teachers one said "companies want superman. They'll take Clark Kent."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

god gently caress companies that make me register with them them to apply.

I sort of like it when they do that, because usually it means if you get interrupted mid application, it's saved. Now job boards requiring you to register to view their postings can gently caress off entirely.

Though a lot of them don't like my "32 characters of gently caress YOU" setting on KeePass, which makes me sad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mine's pretty much a template that I fill in fields. It's basically my resume in prose form with extraneous info stripped out. It's one of those things where I feel submitting one doesn't hurt, but not submitting one will hurt if you, as mentioned, get the wrong dude on the other side.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I would but almost all my experience is in embedded/firmware devel :shobon:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I actually had someone say "thanks but no thanks" for my inability to remember CS 101 terms but would certainly recognize them if given examples.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cold on a Cob posted:

what sort of questions did they ask?

Sadly it's been so long since that interview. I remember bombing it pretty hard because of the questions, but I don't remember much else. I think it would be using visual basic so a bullet dodged in the end? :shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I got an email from a company about... 3 weeks ago? Saying they were considering for the next steps. Silence since then.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jit bull transpile posted:

that's normal. my hiring process at Apple was nearly 10 months beginning to end, with multiple month+ gaps in communication. it was a big mental adjustment from back when I could wear a tie to an interview for line cook and walk out with a new job, but that's just the way this industry is.

if you're looking to stay in Milwaukee it'll probably take even longer because there's more candidates than openings tbh. our fair city just doesn't have that many programmer jobs or I never would have left.

I'm moving to Portland, or wanting to. At least that gives me some hope!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jit bull transpile posted:

hope u r whiiiiiite

I am. Portland sucks I know.

the problem is I have a lot of low level exp

iospace fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 9, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have one tomorrow which should be fun.

Hasn't sunk in yet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the worst part about interviewing is that the payoff is having to go to work

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh gods I have a phone interview today and it's actually sinking in

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question: are you supposed to send a thank you letter after interviews, including phone screens?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"Hey, we found your resume on Dice, the position is in <LOCATION>"

<LOCATION> is not one of the places on Dice I said I'm open to relocating to, naturally.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I love being told end of the week and getting nothing on Friday

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MononcQc posted:

remote work owns but is hard to do right is my position but I’ve already expanded a lot in this thread anyway

I'm in the same boat with my preferred type of work. Embedded/Firmware devel requires a lot of hands on work, so remote is generally out of the question. It can be done, but it's a pain in the rear end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Funny enough the cold callers haven't even hit me for Nike yet, despite the fact I have firmware on my resume and profiles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

florida lan posted:

documenting evidence that an employee is not meeting some work standard provides a defense against claims that they were terminated for some other (illegal) reason in the event the employee decides to sue.

realistically it's going to take a few months to find a replacement for highly skilled positions anyway so unless the employee is actively sabotaging the company you may as well keep them around and squeeze whatever you can out of them

And the courts tend to side with the employer in these cases.

If there were only some way to stand together against employers pulling out bullshit like "Work weekends and overtime without the extra pay" :thunk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Private Speech posted:

There's gently caress-all the union can do in these cases, anyway.

At best they'll pay for a lawyer for the already-lost case and maybe -maybe- will help prevent a negative reference.

I'm not talking about the PIP. The unions would likely be cool with them because it's a documented failing and offers chances to improve. Unions require a procedure to fire someone that is more than "you're fired". A PIP that's implemented but failed to "succeed" would almost certainly slot into this. You can argue how much the cards would be stacked in the employer's favor though.

I'm talking about overtime without pay, which is what started this whole tangent of PIP, namely a goon refusing to work more than 40 a week without extra compensation.

e: A union, in this specific case, would work. If said goon was part of a union, refused to work the extra hours without compensation, the PIP in this case would never fly. Now mind you that this is this specific case, and won't apply to all PIP cases.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 20, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today, I got an email, unsolicited, for a job down in Atlanta... from a recruiting company soliciting for a consulting company.

Gods I hate this poo poo. I had that happen to me before.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm easily the lowest in the thread but I'm also not in the industry at the moment so grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JawnV6 posted:

the one thing i haven't seen mentioned about PIPs is: dont sign

you'll be pressured to, but the only thing you really *need* to do is sign to acknowledge receiving the document, make it clear that's what you're doing

im sure you can dredge up a michealochurch about why this is the best course of action

graduated 2005, 178+10, rsu/espp mean my W2 comes in at ~280

I'm curious as to your reasoning to why not sign?