Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Bloody posted:

how do i interview people

devise an open-ended microproject that lets the candidate demonstrate their creativity and problem-solving skills, then flunk everyone who didn't solve it using exactly the same methods you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

who's in boston that's worth working for? i don't want to commute to the companies out by 128 and i don't even want to bother with ms, facebook, or the goog.

i have a bud who works for IBM in cambridge

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's ok to get a terminal master's. imo it's better to do it thesis-based instead of coursework/"capstone"-based but this is prob kinda field-dependent.

if you're applying to PhD programs it's important to have a very clear idea of exactly which professors in which labs you would want to work with, and not everyone coming out of undergrad has that sort of certainty of direction re: their professional trajectory.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they knocked me an entire title because i didnt prepare a powerpoint presentation for the demo.

i'm reeling at this

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

a grading rubric but the columns are labeled junior, standard, senior, manager

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Countered again, had a conversation with the hiring manager and got them to move more on the RSUs and signing bonus. I'm going to accept tomorrow! :yotj:

taking notes on this powerful "double counter" technique

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

probation period kinda goes both ways

go into a meeting with your manager all "hey so we're coming up on the end of your first 6 months with me and while you're all great to work with..."

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i got a new job in my same weird specific field :toot:

gonna take a crack at full-time remote (which i've been basically doing anyway for the past 8 months). new company has a bunch of remote folks and good support for them so i think it'll be just fine.

job hunting sucks insanely though lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

5 figgies
dece 6 figgies
p dece " "
v dece " "
e dece " "
nice " "
7 figgies

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Shaggar posted:

that company sounds lovely and you dont owe them any sort of apology for them not disclosing requirements. Thats their gently caress up. If the company is not lovely and you're just dealing with lovely HR, you may want to CC the hiring manager as well to make sure they realize HR hosed them, not you.

Also if they offer non-SC positions you could add something like "I would still be interested in working at [company] for any current or future open positions that do not require a security clearance."

On the other hand you know way more about the situation than I do so feel free to ignore any of these suggestions.

good shaggar take right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

does anyone have recommended reading about interpreting offers from startups which include equity?

i found some good discussion upthread about this starting here.