Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
i poo poo up the resume and terrible programming threads and hire on avg 2 SW interns and 1 FT SW toucher per year AMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

what’s it like to work in a job where it doesn’t feel like the business is slowly dying

We have a "runway" that isn't ∞ some months so technically I couldn't tell you

...but it generally doesn't feel like its dying and generally outperforms its industry in growth metrics by a lot so overall it...has its own worries.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Not a Children posted:

I had an amazon interview a few years ago where the interviewer either intentionally or unintentionally said something incorrect about a technical matter and I wasn't sure if it was a slip of the tongue or a gotcha kinda thing, I kinda just smiled and nodded and moved on to the next thing

I didn't address it and I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't get the offer

Interviewing is garbage

Amazon stole my intern and is paying that kid $33/hr.

This person routinely submits broken code and must have all of their PRs tested before accepting.

Code touching is garbage.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If I was a pill person in this day 'n age id go work for TruePill™. TruePill™, we mail you dick pills. Find out more at TruePill™.com

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

🤔 can I make a living simply by being nzs foremost free deliver boner pill supplier

the president aint hard to get ahold of he does press for YC n poo poo to try to recruit people

like this from 3 days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6yT9ez5to

just email him (https://www.linkedin.com/in/sidviswanathan) and be like....

I want to distribute dick pills in Australia (or NZ or whatever)

...he's literally making ads RIGHT NOW for this purpose

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 22, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

you saying there’s a ground floor opportunity here

well... as an american consumer of Rx drugs, the "a good distributor that any doctor can use simply with an API integration" really appeals to the `puter toucher in me. And this dude seems like he really wants to press the issue. IDK poo poo about NZ to know if drug distribution is a problem there.

Also Ground floor is like...1+% equity.

They've raised $75M USD so...good luck there.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

I’ll have a look when I have a minute at lunch time.

At the very least I think there’s bound to be some opportunities in the overlap of the venn diagram between pharmacist and someone who knows a thing about a computer

the biggest problem being proving that i know a thing about a computer or maybe the thing I know about computer is utterly worthless and in which case how i can I learnt the one thing that makes the difference

it’s a shame coz i’m not stupid and in fact multi skilled in many ways including human to human interaction. sometimes I wish there was some way for someone who knows poo poo to see my potential and work out what the hell I can do with it

I mean if NZ is part of their strat...$75M buys a NZ `puter toucher to team up with you and a few $100k in NZ boner pills. So, you dont really need to know about `puter touching...you just need to be excited to tech someone who does about distributing boner pills, hair loss meds, heartworm medication (I guess IDK your laws) via mail in NZ and need to be able to tell Sid, hey this is a problem here pay me some monies and I'll do it here. My guess is Sid has the connect with the US clientele who would gladly do the same thing in NZ but lack a echinopsis familiar with the regs and interested in doing so

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

pharmacy is a wage heavy job coz a lot of people work part time. i’m on 37.50/hr and do 45 hour weeks. some pharmacists get 40-42 for being manager of a bigger pharmacy. i’m manager of a smaller pharmacy. it’s not often talked about because we work directly with a bunch of people on about 22/hr

what does me in about my job is that it feels like a sinking ship and my job isn’t just to be a pharmacist but also a business saving magician. and also a sales man. and i can never leave because the place can’t be open without a pharmacist and i’m the only one. and so i spend all my week in a small building with the same staff who are nice but also just middle aged women. and the customers are ok but some are super poor and i’m always taking on the load of poor depressed and unwell people and have to smile thru it.

i get between $1150-1300 in the hand each week. i’m certainly not poor. but I have a bunch of debt to take care of and am general terrible with money. self-hatred ain’t cheap

id be a fool not to explore this

at least it sound different

Here's the US status on Pharm wages: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacists.htm

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

I regret going into pharmacy so much

what if you could give kiwis erections by api tho

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Corla Plankun posted:

australia does but :lol: at moving to a country that has had citywide outbreaks of racial violence in the 21st century; australia is a chud dreamland

is this a joke or are you not in the US cause like...that’s many major American cities in the past 4 years

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

if they valued you as much as you are worried about letting them down they’d be paying you as much as (and offering the same perks as) those better positions

seriously, they’ll be fine without you.

this

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

the talent deficit posted:

we use a platform where i work that does this. the timeout is not configurable (or if it is, our recruiters don't know how to change it). you can probably just email them and ask for a new link

As a person who has reviewed >600 resumes in the past 2 years and hired ~11 people (4 computer touchers). One who gives a simple, practical, similar to our real work coding test after a phone interview. gently caress any place that makes you do a coding test before speaking to you. gently caress them so hard. Don't work for them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Valeyard posted:

this company im dealing with just now, i done the IKM online horrible multiple choice python test for them without ever speaking to anyone from the company (only external recruiters)

and then they flaked out so far TWICE on the interview thqt we had scheduled, and cancelled short notice, one of the times was cancelled 5 minutes into when it was supposed to start, not impressed at all

I am sure working at this company will be great and they consider their employees valuable and deserving of respect.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gazpacho posted:

in the US they don't necessarily want to but employment law require employers to have a somewhat consistent hiring process

No it does not.

I think what you're getting at is that there is a fear common amongst US employers that interviewees may sue on some allegation they've been discriminated against and that employers believe a consistent hiring process is a decent affirmative defense to this allegation. AFAIK there is certainly no federal law requiring this and while that fear may or may not be pervasive, tbh I have it a little bit whenever someone mentions some ADA protected thing for no reason in an interview, these lawsuits are actually extremely rare and this isn't a thing worth putting in to practice because usually the lawsuits settle ahead of discovery anyway.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres the law as written down and theres the law as written down in lawsuits, because the common law is such a great idea (sometimes unironically so)

I'm pretty familiar with how its done in lawsuits, my company's PACER bill last quarter was >$2K and most of it was spent on employment law related case research.

EDIT: To be clear I am saying the number of lawsuits per year based on interview discrimination is in the "a couple dozen" order of magnitude, while the number of interviews done in a year is in the dozens of millions order of magnitude. And also that if you DO get one of these lawsuits, it will likely settle before you have a chance to present your awesome consistent hiring process.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 19, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

QuarkJets posted:

hey how do i interview for a director position at a startup

i have no doubts about my own skills but i need to ask them stuff like how much funding they have available right? if I take this job am I probably going to be destitute in 6 months

mostly agree with above poster. what stage/round is the startup? assuming they’re >200 employees if they’re hiring directors.

i only have ~11FTE employees but here’s what I’d ask if I was joining one:
-How much runway
-what’s the exit strategy? being post series A means you’re trying to go public. imo a company hoping to get bought is a big red flag for risk unless the offer is already in the works
-is there a timeline to going public?
-what’s the turnover rate at the company? (might try to phrase this nicer)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Private Speech posted:

What about interviews that prohibit googling, I hate those and don't really see the point, especially if using some crappy online IDE without syntax highlighting or suggestions.

I think my current job did that though.

Very dumb.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hughlander posted:

closest thing to an adversial interview I think is appropriate is we have two principals get as deep into tech as the candidate knows. the goal is to understand the depth but more importantly see how they react when they don’t know something. do they become argumentative? cooperative? refuse to acknowledge that they don’t know? this is super useful for everyone from an associate (are they willing to learn) to a manager (must maintain face for the position) and for the later have sunk some prospects.

This was how a FAANG company interviewed me about a new grad mechanical engineering role in 2013. Not sure if they still do but tbh it was a pretty fun, though exhausting, interview. Especially because I was doing research in the area they asked me about at the time and had read ~3 textbooks and 50+ papers about the subject within the last year so we got to chat for several hours about a thing I enjoyed studying.

That said I dont adopt that style because if I got that same interview now about what I do I would fail miserably even though I am a pretty productive dilettante of a computer toucher.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

shoeberto posted:

Not really an interviewing question per se but I'm spending a lot of time reflecting on my career and have sort of a general question. How bad is it to actually work for a startup? What are the pros and cons?

My perception is that everything is always on fire because you have to make good on the VC and position yourself to be acquired, so the company is always burning you out, in the hopes of a big payola. Is that accurate? Has anyone had experience to the contrary?

My current job is for a small company with a stable revenue stream, and I feel like we're building legitimately cool stuff, but from a strategic level it feels like we're kinda rudderless. Like there isn't really a coherent vision or direction at a leadership level, especially not to expand our customer base. Which would be fine but we keep getting these insane projects where I crunch for like 2-3 months at a time because of whatever constraints the management has dreamed up. And like, I could handle that if I felt like I was working towards some big payday, new customer, whatever. But it's been almost 7 years, and though I've gotten healthy raises, I just don't feel like there's been... much of anything happening on the business side. Just the same customers from a decade ago renewing. And I love love love my team but most of the time I find the company owners to be a huge pain in the rear end, for a variety of reasons, and there's not really any ways to insulate myself from their crazy whims. It honestly kinda feels like the employees are doing more to implement a stable direction than the leadership.

I'm looking at other opportunities and trying to figure out what I really want. Either stability and consistency, even if it's not exciting, or the potential for a big fuckin payday if I'm gonna be doing this crazy hair-on-fire crunch poo poo. But like how bad can it actually get if you really go after those VC exit strategy bux?

I started a startup that is no in CA, 10 employees, went through YC, and is pre Series A so take those factors into account. I'm gonna present from an employees point of view.

Pros:
- If its small what you do actually matters
- Extremely small chance but maybe it has a favorable exit. A friend of mine worked for a startup for 2 years and made them write his number of shares in an email after they terminated him a couple years ago. They recently IPO'd. He sold his stock and working is basically optional if he manages his money well.
- Working at a big company is soul sucking

Cons:
- There's literally every kind of risk. My cofounder and I never had direct reports before starting this company. It seems like youre in the "high managem,ent risk" company.
- Working at a small company can be soul sucking.
- Often the pay is below average but if they just raised a round and you can negotiate worth a poo poo maybe not.

EDIT: I am v tired and this post wasnt that helpful. If I can answer any "managing or interviewing at a seed stage startup" questions though, please ask.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 6, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

yea honestly I reread me writing that and realized my post was trash

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm getting very tired of working at my current job, and just signed my lease renewal so i'm going to start looking for a new job sometime next year. I'm an absolute dullard and am bad at the whiteboarding/coding interview questions so I think a year gives me a good amount of time to prepare.

I was thinking about going through my old copies of cracking the code, and chris sedgewick's algorithms book for starters. Is that a good way to prep? If not what would be a better way? Is there anything else you all would recommend?

generally it would be better to apply more places and spend less time studying for an interview that you haven’t been offered yet (and thus don’t know whether it’s a waste of time)

you also might learn your resume is poo poo when your phone interview rate is <2%

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I forgot about leetcode, thanks!

Last time I was job searching I heard back pretty immediately from several companies. I generally make it past the phone interview and fumble around during the whiteboarding portions of the interview. I feel like I know most of the stuff being asked, it's just that my nerves get the best of me and I think that having a good foundation for algorithm based questions will help me out there.

Ahh thats useful data then. Best of luck!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you might feel special but usual yields from resume->phone is like 40% for peeps who dont have a dog poo poo resume and phone->job is more like 5-20%

I think you might overestimate what qualifies as "not poo poo" statistically by comparison to raw # of applicants. If "not poo poo" means easy to read + an eng/CS degree from an ABET accredited school + experience + a GitHub w/commented code yea 40% might be right.

I did the math on an entry level python req for the BFC Resume thread as there was some discussion about entry level programming jobs and what degree they held.

CarForumPoster posted:

I was very curious what the breakdown was since the advice I am leaning toward with strawberrymoose with coding is that he'd better have some good projects to show off because he's gonna have a tough go at coding jobs.

~40% were Indian developers with hilariously bullshit resumes that didnt provide a GitHub despite me saying it was the one hard qualification requirement in bold and including it as a required question to apply.

Of the remaining ~60% I went through and wrote their degrees. I may have missed a couple. I separated degrees into the tier I view them in for entry-level developers. Bold are the ones I interviewed or I at least wrote some favorable notes on. Ugrad means they're currently in undergrad, otherwise they'd graduated. The places in parenthesis are where their undergrad was from.

TLDR: I had 91 applicants. 43 got more than 15 seconds of me looking at their application. I phone interviewed or strongly considered 18 applicants. Hired 1 applicant.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I hope I didn't sound like I was discounting or ignoring your advice as that was not my intention. I do really appreciate the advice.

I wasnt being sarcastic. If you have a good conversion rate on applications you shouldn't optimize your resume. I actually wish you the best.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 7, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

raminasi posted:

out of curiosity, was there a non-obvious reason for this or were you just that set on only hiring people who give away their labor in their free time

This reply only applies to SW Engineer w/less than 5 yrs full-time experience.

Two years ago I started out assuming I wasn't a good judge of resumes, so I'd phone interview a TON of people and if they were even kinda okay, I'd let them tell me a time where they have 48 hours to complete a practical coding test. We mostly build and deploy web apps in Python. I've given a decent number of people the same coding test. The test doesn't prescribe how to do it but gives clear shalls that essentially require a web app to hit a no-authentication-required REST API and returns the data in a sortable table. If you've deployed 2 or 3 Flask/Django apps to Heroku or AWS before, this project can be done in 2 hours.

Sadly, I do not find a strong correlation between good practical test outcome and resume quality, so I continue to phone interview people with meh resumes. Hence the large interview list I posted above.

I want to believe I am a good phone interviewer but of the people who do decent on the resume AND decent on the phone interview, the project quality still isn't great.

When I look at their GitHub and I look at the code they submitted to me, that is a better predictor than phone interviews of the quality of practical project I will get. Thus, to save both of us time, I require and review GitHubs before a phone interview.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
100% I will cop to missing good early-career candidates with the GitHub requirement. It's my own fault I can't filter them from resume alone, but I can't. I only hire maybe 1-2 computer touchers per year and have no other help hiring so how I optimize my time might not apply to other companies. Hopefully others are better about knowing you're awesome purely from your resume and phone interview.

Forums Medic posted:

the interviewing thread should be one way, interviewers need not post

yea we should only listen to people who've done 10 interviews and exclude the people who make the decisions we care about and have done 100s of interviews. makes sense

The Fool posted:

requiring a portfolio selects against candidates that are in life situations that don’t lend themselves to a lot of work-outside-of-work free time but could otherwise be excellent employees

See previous post where I didnt have this requirement and decided this was okay.

I know I'm digging a hole but: Our little 10 person company is and always has been diverse as gently caress on gender and ethnicity. I'm okay excluding those who are privileged enough to not need to make a portfolio. I'm happy that the people I've hired since doing this contribute to the outcomes for the company and contribute different backgrounds and ideas than we might get if I hired along my own biased perception of "good candidates" which, according to data, isn't that good. My biases are bad at hiring, so I use a portfolio.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xarn posted:

What makes you think that the people who don't have a portfolio are the privileged ones?

because when you’re making $12/hr and have $2k in savings decreasing weekly, or working a job you loving hate

but could be making figgies

and spending 10 hours polishing up something that is free increases the chance of figgies you find 10 hours because you have to

if you’ve already got that job offer from Lockheed for a fresh $75k cause you have a BSCS, internship and a 3.2GPA yea you can skip a GitHub and a LinkedIn.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
it’s weird af this thread would advocate for polishing a resume, studying for an interview, learning to negotiate as things that improve your job prospects and outcomes

but not make a GitHub, something roughly 30% of candidates do, that’s giving your time away for free

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Truman Peyote posted:

I don't think anyone is saying a candidate should not make a github. they're saying an interview should not require it.

This is a fair thing to say.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ardemia posted:

Just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my post. I have done some checking around, and I have found no fewer than 12 positions near me that pay more and are purely web development. I do live outside of major tech areas, but close enough to a few secondary ones that I could manage something 80% remote easily. Going to get whatever raise I can and start applying to other jobs this week. thanks goons :)

There's a LOT of companies going 100% remote. Competition can be stiffer but thats what resume threads and autofill plugins are for.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Poopernickel posted:

Don't wait for your review cycle for this kind of thing. If your review comes in and your boss says "congrats I got you a 5% raise this year", then it's already a done deal.

Poopernickel posted:

For others reading - if your boss says "it's too early to talk about this", then follow up on it in a month, and in the month after, and in the month after.

Good advice ime.

raminasi posted:

it happened over the course of a month lol

What a good boss.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

asur posted:

If a company is pushing you to accept while you're waiting for other interviews then do so and bail if a later place has a better offer. Unless you're in a very niche area the bridges you potentially burn by doing this are inconsequential and you should do what's best for you.

This often does burn the bridge, especially at a smaller company, so avoid being a dick when possible. If you wonder why companies dont send rejection emails to potential candidates, or go radio silent for 3+ weeks and then contact you later. Someone agreed to start and then bailed. That's at will employment though, cuts both ways.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

GenJoe posted:

it's worth noting that negotiating at the FAANGS is predicated on you have a competing FAANG (or FAANG-lite) offer -- this is anecdotal to me and the people I know but they won't even entertain negotiations unless you have a competing offer because they know that they're likely already coming in significantly above your existing salary

squeezing another 30k (or more) at that level is absolutely do-able but it's something you need to plan out by interviewing a bunch, it's not something you'll get by being difficult on the phone for 30 minutes

This was not true for me at a FAANG in 2013 where, right of of a mediocre school with a 3.0 GPA, I got $+5K SOB and $5k/yr in RSUs by basically asking for it. This may or may not be true in other situations and was for a mech engineering position. I did not have a competing FAANG or a BATNA that was comparable.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
anyone ever lol at making >$150k without going to med school and maybe without going to extra school at all

literal life saving people make what you make for writing code that is always marching toward obsolescence, often never actually sees the light of prod

not arguing against this system its just really somethin

EDIT: the 25th percentile of pediatricians is $126k

EDIT2: I forgot about drs fellowship prob bringing that number down in a big way, still tho

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 22, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
handle you need to post your actual resume in here or the BFC resume thread and find a couple job reqs you’d want to apply for. I think some of the advice might be kinda optimistic but can’t tell because I don’t know what your stats are or who you’d be competing with application wise

that said you can def count what you described as relevant for the purposes of an entry level programmer job

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kitten smoothie posted:

Meanwhile I used to write software for cancer research and treatment and was paid all of $75K for it

I make over 2x that now to make a cell phone game you play on the toilet

that sounds sweet I am doing too much toilet posting r n

and anyway if the treatment worked I’m American so I couldn’t afford it

might as well crush candy

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how many junior devs have we all hired who have the resume pedigree, but not the drive?

one and it was a hard lesson learned

that said, the number of driven junior devs I’ve hired who don’t have the resume to do the job is 0 which is probably an obstacle for handle today that can be fixed within 6 weeks if driven

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Achmed Jones posted:

hey handle:

1. get yourself a trade name. i used "[my last name] engineering" for mine. i think it was like $35 or something (in california). link to colorado secretary of state. you just want the sole proprietorship - that just means that all money you'd get is normal income, no tax breaks or anything, but also no tax complications
2. do a programming-related task for someone for money
3. put "freelance [whatever you do] - doing business as [handle engineering]" on your resume

it's ok if the gigs pay terribly (as long as they aren't free, this is the part that makes it not a lie). i bet you have friends/family/people in this very thread that would throw you twenty bucks or whatever to automate some mp3 renaming or some kinda text processing in bash via sed etc for them (especially if you took them out to dinner afterwards to celebrate your business getting a new client)

do make sure that's not gonna get you in any kind of non-compete hot water, but it's an easy way to suddenly become a professional computer-toucher. if won't help you with the "three years" part of "three years of experience required," and it won't help you pass an interview, but it might help you softshoe around a dumbass HR filter.

This is very good advice. If you wanna seem like you actually totally did consulting for real though form an LLC. Its also cheap and easy. This is nice to have too because if you get fired you can always truthfully say you worked for DaShitpostBoss, LLC

Putting a github together now and starting to commit and star poo poo and fork poo poo is a good way to build a paper trail of your computer touching experience as well.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 24, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

toiletbrush posted:

drive and aptitude is hard to communicate in a CV

strongly disagree

you show it by accomplishing things that are relatively easy to verify

- increasing responsibilities with the same employer
- publishing web apps and code to GitHub
- having a consultancy that has a real legal entity and people to vouch for it
- ???your idea here???

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 25, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Arcsech posted:

- Peter principle, increasing responsibilities at the same company doesn't mean much. and if they're a dick like handles employers you can have all the drive in the world and get dick all
- if you have spare time to do that, if your drive is all spent on making money so you can eat, welp
- same for this one

When interviewers look at resumes to try to find "aptitude" and "drive" the things I said are things that some hiring managers look for. That promotion history, life circumstances or resumes in general result in unfair distribution of interviews or the best candidate not getting the job is irrelevant to helping goons get computer toucher jobs. Even managers who are aware of those biases still often look for those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Arcsech posted:

sure, that's what people look for when they look for "drive". but it's a lovely way of looking for it. but people still do it because drive is hard to communicate in a resume

"drive is hard to communicate in a resume" was the original statement. you disagreed with it

The audience the resume is communicating to is the interviewer. If interviewers see a list of easily verified accomplishments and perceive the candidate as potentially driven it has been communicated. It may be that interviewers looking for drive this way is unfair, biased, and/or bad for society. Its not hard to communicate to those unfair biases tho.