Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Agreeing with the I hate working post.

Am I an idiot for reading indiehackers.com day dreaming about bootstrapping my own retarded B2B SaaS app? Has anyone in this forum done this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
finally in six figgy club after getting a raise from exactly 99,999.99. which was one penny less then we agreed to but I decided not to fight it

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I failed a nodejs take home for not using OOP. I just used modules cuz I didn’t need state variables but I guess they wanted prototype inheritance or something. The problem was process a text file that’s a list of transactions and print the end state so I just parsed and then used reduce()

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaman Linavi posted:

the most recent email i got from an amazon recruiter had the subject "Alexa, What is on my Calendar?" and i spammed it before seeing what the hell it was because i figured it was marketing bullshit

I got one from amazon that quoted the red/blue pill Morpheus line

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol the fake-positive HR ones are so easy to spot. mention how things are changing, mention some fringe benefit that actual employees don't care about, and a con that you then say isn't really a problem. my company posted a whole string of them in a row (even loving up and posting an almost-identical review twice with just a few sentences changed) after they noticed we had almost nothing but negative reviews lately.

it also coincided exactly with HR responding to all the negative reviews with stuff like "Oh no! please bring this up with your manager." and they responded to their own review with "Finally! Someone writing a review with how most employees really feel!"

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 31, 2018

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a recruiter asked me out on a date once

i rejected because i'm not an idiot but lol

drat. I knew we’re at full employment but I didn’t realize recruiters would be THAT desperate to get leads

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
would apple actually care / look at it if I made a side project macOS app in swift? there's a project I want to do already and macOS is a good as any platform for it

I'm not trying to put all my eggs in one basket but apple will be bigly expanding in my city and if im gonna bias my interview prep a bit towards anyones stack it should probably be theirs. my current work is all c#, webapi, react, and typescript (mostly frontend) so I doubt any of that helps.

or is my time better spent just practicing puzzles since I suck big rear end at those?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

thanks this is helpful. reading this and knowing how rusty I am at whiteboarding that’s def where I need to spend most of my time

JawnV6 posted:

austin tho?

yeah. actually apparently there’s already a bunch of apple dev jobs here, at least from looking at a cursory search, I just never checked until that recent announcement on the expansion

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat according to levels.fyi it looks like even in austin a big4/faang would add like 80% to my total comp as a level-just-above-entry.

i hosed up when practicing a variation of the literal first question in CTCI though so I’ve got a ways to go

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

soulless property management company ftw, imo

soullessness in housing very underrated in every way

Absolutely it rocks. I’ve never have to interact with my property mgmt except for picking up mail and putting in maintenance requests & they never enter the apt and rile up my pets. It’s worth w/e premium I’m probably paying

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
today I got an email from hr that due to a screwup in our benefits signup process this year our benefits provider will be calling us each up to ask if we want abortion coverage

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
gonna answer my interview questions in JS so i can just write 'npm install' a bunch on the whiteboard. easy money

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
say something problematic and gauge her reaction. that’ll tell you

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gazpacho posted:

I bet ibm is a great place to work for anyone who wants to be regularly pulled onto a vp’s project to build something, anything that uses the latest buzzwords he read about in Fortune

im catching up with the thread but just wanted to say this exact thing happened to a fellow fresh-from-college hire that came on the same time as me.
it was a buzzwordy publicly-facing ui (angular) to a product that was so ratchet it didn't even use a DB for storage, it was java objects serialized to text files.
even though it was a public facing site made for PR, no one ever visited or talked about it outside of IBM yet it was talked up endlessly. years later they updated the UI some more and added Watson (tm) branding.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn’t practice my salary range avoidance lines and ended up hemming and hawing so bad over the phone in a initial recruiter call when asked (“they won’t take applicants without a number”). at least it ended with me just not giving an answer rather than me farting out a low number and feeling like a dick hole afterward, like I’ve done before

now I can ask for too much money over email instead I guess.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
last night I said gently caress it and just applied to all the big ones and got my first response. I’m hoping the process takes 1 billion years because while I’m really killing it with the strings and linked lists portion of CTCI, if there’s anything harder than those questions I think I’m hosed.

w/ the recruiter that forced a number I emailed a nice even number 40% higher than my already inflated comp and immediately got back a “...call me” email lol. my batna is keeping an easy relatively high paying (IMO) but unfulfilling job so w/e

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks good to know. I already responded to setting up the recruiter screen in the next couple of days (before I saw the responses itt, whoops) but I’ll try and delay the rest. and go back and read the posts on minimum spanning trees I skipped in the meantime

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flat Daddy posted:

last night I said gently caress it and just applied to all the big ones and got my first response. I’m hoping the process takes 1 billion years because while I’m really killing it with the strings and linked lists portion of CTCI, if there’s anything harder than those questions I think I’m hosed.

Flat Daddy posted:

thanks good to know. I already responded to setting up the recruiter screen in the next couple of days (before I saw the responses itt, whoops) but I’ll try and delay the rest. and go back and read the posts on minimum spanning trees I skipped in the meantime

this has turned into an onsite... now im feeling a lot of maybe false confidence because the phone screen was waaaay easy for what I would expect a faang interview to be. pls let the onsite just be fizz buzz somehow

unfortunately this is for 1 specific slot that opened up so I also have to hope not even 1 person is better than me lol

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 26, 2019

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

qhat posted:

They will ask if you have any issues with signing your estate to Jeff Bezos personally incase you pass away during the course of your employment.

ooh I've studied this, this is principle #2, Ownership.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Had an on-site with a startup the other day and tripped over my big ol’ dick pretty hard on a relatively simple problem, finding all substrings of a string

I described the algo at a high level just fine but spent nearly the whole hour with them hand holding me over finding my bugs and off by one gently caress ups, finding more and more as I debugged. I’ve been whiteboarding for weeks doing this same kinda problems and I do just fine on my own, the solution matches the ctci solutions, etc.

the more practical coding exercises I did at the onsite were EZ .

But I need to get my poo poo together because I have a phone+coderpad with a unicorn style company and then an on-site with a big4 in the next couple weeks... gently caress me

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
theres an opening on apples job site for my city that’s a keyword for keyword perfect match for my resume. i just applied but if anyone wants to gamble their professional reputation on me in exchange (I’m assuming) for a referral bonus pls PM.

btw how bad is the amzn onsite? specifically the barrage of soft skill 14-words questions? I’ve never had to prepare so much for this part of an interview. Recruiter told me to prepare STAR format responses involving at least 8 anecdotes that exemplify at least 10 amazon values among them. and I need metrics on each one since they’re gonna drill me and compare notes for inconsistencies. I have enough I think sans exact metrics on everything... but it seems like all of that is gonna be hard to keep straight during an all-day interview

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ADINSX posted:

What position? The ancetdoes advice is good, just know their values and have stories that showcase those values; doesnt have to be from 14 different projects.

As for metrics? I don't know, I know I didn't focus too much on that other than orders of magnitude; I wouldn't feel comfortable telling exact numbers even if I knew them out of nda concerns from previous jobs. If you're worried about it maybe take some cheat sheets with talking points and stats on them, I think that would be a good look in terms of being prepared.

Also remember to have good questions for them; I always gently caress this up since after a 50 minute talking session the last thing I wanna do is talk more, but it's factored into the evaluation

I didn't think the on-site was too bad but ymmv

frontend engineer, position asks for 5 years exp. nice I’ve already made a cheat sheet for prepping, I didn’t think of actually bringing it with me in fear of seeming inauthentic but I might now. also now that I think about it if orders of magnitude are ok I can say things like bug reports reduced at least 10x after a rewrite etc for some of mine. gently caress I hope I get this lol. Big4 positions are far and few between here

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm heading to seattle for an onsite on monday and my recruiter didn't say anything about metrics... i wonder if one of that recruiter's previous candidates got caught in some sort of crazy lie or if the scale of a particular project he used for every example mysteriously got a few 0s over the course of the day

yea he said that happened, not sure if it was as far as extra 0s. he did emphasize having data points a lot, but who knows, it could just be his idea of what they want??? another thing I’m worried about is all the different ways they can ask about each value. Like how the sample questions for “are right, a lot” I found online are either a time I disagreed or a time where I hosed up. More to add to the cheat sheet I guess...

good luck on yours. let’s gently caress them up and take their figgies

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was gonna say I posted bad examples but they’re all kinda easy like that. I guess it’s helping writing out what my worries are and seeing they’re not actually that bad and it might be ok. neat

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
praying to the figgie gods after my faang onsite. one session was so-so (with the HM...) but the rest were A+. now i guess i'll just sit here and try to think about other stuff besides whether im getting like a 50% raise or not lol...

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its so easy to concentrate on other things

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
getting an offer from one of the big boys. it will be approx a 50% raise. I promised myself I’d negotiate no matter what but jfc am I gonna be bluffing

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
(in 'just fell into way more figgies' voice) people can do whatever the heck they want. marry a horse. just don't increase my dang taxes

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody posted:

make country borders follow in the footsteps of bookstore borders

closed permanently?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
interview update: throwing my head back and cackling @ this post from a while back

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well no, you're not gonna earn $200k in loving texas

that should be kind of obvious

it turns out not everyone adjusts for cost of living like you'd think

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 23, 2019

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ya everyone at my gym wears t-shirts with some combo of at least "Hub" ".ly" and/or a cloud logo somewhere on it

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
pro: having unlimited jobs to pick from and therefore near guaranteed financial security in a time when almost no one in this country or world has this
cons: surrounded by people that share my interests, personality, and career choice aka NERDS!!!!

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
“sorry for the late notice but I can’t come in this week. I have..... diarrhea”

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shaggar is wrong. amazon has a job category now for frontend (FEE) that’s equivalent in pay to SDE

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gazpacho posted:

good luck and don't work in or adjacent to the warehouse systems division

why not?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is this really how!!!? the hn post hits a lot of the same notes he does but didn’t he have a different github with like badly done algo problems?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I applied for every job on the site and don’t know what the gently caress you do. I hope I don’t have too much competition. just tryna get paid over here. oh gently caress am I saying all this in my mind or out loud. uhhh bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

stuffed crust punk posted:

i had an interview today that i think went well, but drat do i hate whiteboarding

the problem was to talk thru an integer stack that had push, pop, and max functions, where max returned the highest integer in the stack, and then optimize it

i tend to create a naive solution for things and then optimize, and i suck at whiteboarding the optimization because im chronically bad at thinking academic-technically when under a microscope, and the result is that i always reach the dumbass cs100 solution for something and then get prodded towards a more elegant one. i hate this sideshow routine where i have to demonstrate specific skills that won't have an impact on my day to day

just practice all the kinds of problems out there and it’ll become almost rote. trade time for space or use a well known data structure and that’s the optimization for like 90% of problems you’ll get. optimize in the pseudo code or even better the writing out examples manually stage of working the problem. ctci has a repeatable set of steps for working problems that’s very good. personally I tend to freeze up worse when making changes to whiteboard code with real syntax