Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
cause I like sharing salaries:

I make 130k with a 12.5% max bonus(although it’s gonna be like 8% this year because larger Corp didn’t do well, and I’ve only been here 6 months so it’ll be prorated.)

I live in Baltimore so my CoL is _very_ low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee Jones posted:

no yeah that is an issue.

Large retailer in town (think of them as Sears or JC Penney) has a combination of stores and an online presence that drives 40% of income not to mention in-store purchases.

Previously the site was run by a combination of old timer FTEs and a horde of people from bodyshop firms that are there to be a bunch of clocksuckers who will turn a minute long process into days (environment variables managed via sql, need a sql script to modify that environment variable, need sign off on that script, need scripts for several lower and upper environments, need sign off on those scripts, no pushing to prod outside of a monthly release window ).
All hosted on prem. Everything from search to rendering is mashed into a single monolithic probably process.
Only after buy-in from the CTOs could they hire on people to melt this crazy iceberg, move rendering off to a collection of independent micro services, move off to Azure and pick a decent JS front end rendering technology and not have frontend devs require a copy of Visual Studio on their systems.

Organizationally it’s still the IT department. The cousin teams to the site who work on the POS systems for the stores deploy a ten year old version of the old rendering tech. They’re not pushed to do any better. The contractors only get their marching orders from their managers who are looking at retirement and haven’t cracked a book in years.

Anyway, some of these places could be adopters of React and Node in 2014 and be on AWS Lambda pre-announcement, or they could be held hostage by a greybeard and his big black tower of COBOL

comedy option: they could have decent technical staff that does cool things, with some rough edges, that is being outsourced to a SaaS firm for bullshit internal politics because they aren’t a tech company at the core.

and the SaaS offering is hot garbage with downtime’s for every deploy and loving up a move between data centers with a day worth of downtime. god what a loving mess this place is turning into. now I get to Pollyanna and job hop quickly.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 17, 2018

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
updated my linked in with a few choice keywords, now all the lovely recruiters are rolling in.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

im considering learning SRE work which is apparently a bunch of linux work and containers n poo poo, but i always learn on the job so you need a job to get good enough for a job and aaaaaaaaaaaa

SRE stuff isn’t a mystery. it’s what I do, reach out if you want some things to read or tech to play with.

basically read the Phoenix project and play with kubernetes.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
ugh. starting a new job search because of changes coming down the pike that present a less then compelling future if I stick around. turns out a team at my corporation is hiring and would be a perfect fit, but I can’t move because of internal issues that would arise.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

Jesus Christ what am I doing over here.

So, question about culture out there. Is it super competitive? I guess it's hard to gauge since I haven't done interviews out there but I have this perspective that west coast is more competitive as a job seeker than here in the Midwest. However, there are probably less tech jobs per capita here, so maybe it's not?

How many hours are you actually working a week, because right now I float between 40-50

I had the same thought re out west but I am not single with a dog so housing was looking north of $4k a month in the Bay Area.

I couldn’t justify the CoL increase, unless my salary doubled.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

all that said i still might not take that position cause im not sure its a good culture fit + theres other opportunities coming up that im interested in (but arent in the bag yet)

is it dumb to decline an opportunity just because there might be better, more interesting ones down the line?

if unemployed? Yes.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

I hosed up lol

Maybe you should go into devops? I didn’t know dev pay was that low. I make 10k more in a lower CoL east coast city and have anecdotally heard that the common Boston salary for SREs/Devops was 140k+.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
we’ve also gone over this several times, not all startups have lovely work life balance. I took 4 weeks off and wfh whenever I wanted at my last one. One of my coworkers spent 5-6 weeks working remote in Europe. Another did yearly visits to Singapore for a month to visit family. and as far as day to day I’d cut out at 3 on fridays. It really depends on the place.

Now did I do some stupid midnight work on Saturdays, yeah, but I sure as hell took comp time the week after.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sapozhnik posted:

I mean, again, Java itself isn't so much as inherently good as populated by grownups who have some actual sense of responsibility. Google Guava notwithstanding (it's good but it does make the odd breaking change here and there so you do have to keep up with it). Otherwise, Maven doesn't support more than one version of any given transitive dependency in any given project and in practice this is virtually never a problem which speaks to the maturity of the people in the Java ecosystem.

Compare it to the JavaScript ecosystem: it's not just that JS is an awful language (even though a lot of the worst stuff has been brought under control with new language revisions and type checkers and suchlike) it's the fact that it attracts the worst kinds of thoroughly punchable dickheads.

except when it comes to running Java. Give me all the ram and then allocate all the ram is the laziest goddamn pattern that all java devs inherently do. They never go back to tune their poo poo.

individually Java and the jvm are decent but goddamn are devs so lazy when it comes to running things.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

docker is fine for prototyping

dont use it past that point

I mean you can maybe get away with that attitude at places, but for example if a place is using kubernetes they are using docker in production.

And if your response is don’t use something like kubernetes then I’m sure those windows shops are hiring. Just like devs, Ops folks are using new tech and deploying stuff all the time in new formats. if you don’t like that the people who aren’t messing with new stuff are the happy windows admins who will make your life pain.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

qhat posted:

I had to explain to a coworker why basing his container on a rolling release of alpine is a terrible loving idea. He ignores the advice and 3 months later I'm having to rebuild all his loving containers because guess what, all the packages changed and none of the derived containers build anymore.

I mean that’s stupid as poo poo. What base image is he even using? If you aren’t using the base docker image library for openjdk or whatever you are probably doing it wrong.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

whoops, minor point release upgrade just wiped out the cluster, oh well

Ah so you are a c# developer.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blinkz0rz posted:

that's why i hate the kubernetes quick start and kops because it turns something really complicated and hard into "easy mode if you only do things the way we do them disregarding your network topography/existing deployments/infrastructure." like you said it's rails for container orchestration

it's telling that the actual requirements for running kubernetes is buried under at least 3 links from the home page

Don’t disagree that this is major issue with k8s, the devs basically code to a pretty far departure of what traditional sysadmins are comfortable with. But to me fighting it to fit your legacy network design is a fools errand. I’ve also gotten in some pretty nasty fights with this in the grey forums, but I tend to agree with the vision that k8s has set forth for designs and think that maybe legacy design patterns need a shake up.

FWIW I brought it up to refute the FUD that docker isn’t used in production(it has warts but there not that bad) and to shed light on the fact that operations folks are trying new things all the time as well, to try and make their lives easier. Docker is one of them.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

hipaa is a good example of this

never do a job with HIPAA, it pays poo poo(cause only doctors executives and sales make any money in healthcare) and it’s painful how stupid it all is.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sapozhnik posted:

this is at least the second time, in this very thread, that i've seen, that you do not actually read a post but rush to engage with it

and you're wondering why you're having difficulty finding a good job

i'm not saying this to be an rear end in a top hat to you, i'm saying this because you need a bit of tough love in this regard

Lol she also went with the “stable” company and now is complaining about meetings and having to work on tech debit.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Do not take your mom on an interview trip. no bueno. bad. it’s supposed to be for your partner and if you take your mom it’ll seem super weird.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

qhat posted:

They won't know she is his mother as opposed to his spouse just by booking plane tickets.

they’ll notice his lack of wedding ring, or they’ll ask how
his
spouse
likes va.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
shoe chat: I wear some variation on whatever my companies flagship sneaker is, because the shoe game at work is real, and you have to keep up with upper management.

salary chat: I made 141k according to IRS last year, should go up to slightly over 150k this year if my bonus is any good.

I also have a 20k retention bonus that hits 1/1/20. So while I think I am way underpaid, the next 13 months are semi lucrative(bonuses get paid in March).

I’m 30 and considered an SRE.

brexit chat: lololol

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

uncurable mlady posted:

... do you work for a sneaker company?

my company makes sneakers.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

technically there are some that run C

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Recruiter asked me to throw out a number so I asked for a $120k raise. Seemed taken aback, but I got told the max base for that payband, which is 90k raise.

Edit: although that includes a move to a higher CoL(not SF though)

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 29, 2019

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

Fighting the urge to quit with no job lined up just to get some time off

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
company I interviewed at is asking for references, but I haven’t seen a job offer or even if their comp is something I’d consider. should I push back?

also who asks for references in this day and age?