Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

whotf would willingly work at a startup

you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

and here we arrive at the heart of the problem

right, so don't apply to startups

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

freeasinbeer posted:

Maybe you should go into devops? I didn’t know dev pay was that low. I make 10k more in a lower CoL east coast city and have anecdotally heard that the common Boston salary for SREs/Devops was 140k+.

that's the upper end of the range for base salary at not-big-5 but yeah i can confirm that's pretty reasonable for sre work in boston

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

take the loving job you goddamn idiot

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

is it? if the corporate thread is to be believed management never falls but watch each other’s back

most of the people posting in those threads (or really any thread about tech jobs on these lovely forums) aren't management and, as such, see management as the enemy or at the very least a group of idiots who have no idea what they're doing

they'd quickly change their tune if they ever had to actually manage anything or anyone besides themselves

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

up against the wall

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

im still very close in terms of geography and location, and im planning on driving in when i can (or maybe not, we'll find out) - its just that i have to drive on congested boston main roads during rush hours. i dont think i can play the "gib me relocation" card this time

where's the new place? i assume 'cause you mention driving that it's burlington or woburn or somewhere around 128. iirc you still live in the city, don't you?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

im in east boston, new place is near kendall square

when i lyfted it it was easily like ~40 min

and you have a good point re development...ill wait until im settled in to worry about that i think

lmao take the t wtf

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

The t is cheaper. Boston has a good public transit situation if my visits were anything to judge by.

it's showing its age but literally better than 98% of public transportation in this country

which isn't saying much but you know

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

tokyo is much more amenable to cyclists than boston is, and even the T is still about 39 minutes according to google maps

that's a pretty average commute. if I leave my house at 7 I'm in the office by 7:30-7:40

you gonna learn to compromise somewhere. a 40 minute commute by train is nothing

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Caganer posted:

are we talking 40 total or 15 walking to train, 15-30 waiting on train 40 on train and another 10-15 to your apt

who cares you can stand at the bus stop on your phone doing whatever

a lovely commute is one you have to be actively paying attention during

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

plus you should double check if you get some kind of transportation subsidy. my company has a pre-tax savings account for transit and my last place paid the first $50 of your pass

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

yeah they comp linkpasses

jfc don't complain about your t commute if it's all train and completely free

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

you'd rather drive longer than take faster, literally free transit? are there any actual benefits to driving?

not having to brush shoulders with the hoi polloi

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

even in the winter it's still an easy commute. the worst will be the park street <--> kendall run on the red line but it's short and usually those stops going in the direction pollyanna is going aren't affected by delays as much as others

basically what i'm saying is htfu and :wrongcity:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean as a nor'easter just blew through i fully understand "ugh i don't want to go outside for long periods of time"

i feel the same way after a snowstorm. for like a day

wfh day then shovel out nbd

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

pollyanna is the exact sort of person boomers point at when they're derisive of millennials

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

can I receive equity, if not, flee

unless you're really, really sure they'll go public with a huge ipo or will be acquired for gobs of cash you should eschew equity in favor of a bigger base salary every time

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

if they won’t why bother working with techbros at a startup?

your equity will be worth less than the paper it's printed on

get that cash

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

HoboMan posted:

judging by the follow-up questions i am guessing this is the case

"if you were to make a new single page app what frameworks would you recommend?"

"when debugging a single page app what tools do you usually use?"

react with redux for state management if necessary. debugging using chrome dev tools + react/redux extensions.

this smells like a full stack or front-end position. are you sure you want that?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

i hate webshit in general but react with redux and a type checker is the first time i've done webshit coding and not hated every minute of the experience. so, you know, there's that.

yeah it's surprisingly good because the patterns are well thought out and concerns are separated into something that resembles sanity

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

FamDav posted:

lol if you define your job prospects by a specific language

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

FamDav posted:

kubernetes is javascript is rails. a lot of good stuff and superficially easy to start using, marred by the lie (by omission) that it can be hard to maintain and has quite a few sharp edges. much like anything successful.

cargo culting doesn’t mean you made a bad decision, it just means you’re an idiot who doesn’t know why you do anything (much like windows developers)

that's why i hate the kubernetes quick start and kops because it turns something really complicated and hard into "easy mode if you only do things the way we do them disregarding your network topography/existing deployments/infrastructure." like you said it's rails for container orchestration

it's telling that the actual requirements for running kubernetes is buried under at least 3 links from the home page

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

even worse: kubernetes isn't really that complicated (theres like a grand total of 4 major pieces you need to setup) but when you start with some magic push button poo poo, it absolutely turns into a set of whirling blades that you haven't thought about, and that will eventually in fact cut you in prod

nope it really isn't but lol if they actually tell you what's required anywhere near the front page of their docs

it's this increasing trend of "easy mode" in tech where the reality is that the easiest thing is for pms and execs to be like "let's use this tech no one has ever used before what could possibly go wrong"

running kubernetes in production at scale requires provisioning and operating an etcd cluster, a set of master nodes and a set of worker nodes all with a discrete set of configs.

actually doing it right involves, in our case, a bunch of work to build a golden image for both flavors of kubernetes and etcd, building out some automation to bootstrap an etcd cluster, automating installation and provisioning of something like heptio authenticator, building out cluster rbac, and configuring kube2iam. on top of that there's building out infrastructure and making sure it plays nice with the clusters. then there's monitoring, understanding the performance profile of the clusters, logging, auditing, abstracting and automating kubectl operations, and, i'm sure, plenty of other things i'm not thinking of.

i haven't had to do it yet because i left our platform engineering team because lol gently caress that

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

hmm i dunno man our capex budget is pretty lean this quarter, you'll have to escalate that to the coo

*shovels another $750,000 into the AWS money furnace*

too real

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Valeyard posted:

I had an interview today with startup B that ended at 12, I had a positive decision in my email by 12.45 inviting me for a final on-site interview

I've never seen turnaround that quickly

my current job was a 10-2 interview and when i finished the recruiter i was working with came in and said they wanted to move forward

it was fantastic and a huge weight off my mind

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

the whole devops/sre bullshit minefield is stupid as hell because everyone involved in it is making stupid decisions

1) the business read the phoenix project and figured out a 'convenient' way to turn IT from a cost center into a profit center; fire your it people and hire devops people instead!
2) the developers don't give a poo poo because a good 80% of professional software developers in industry want to pull tickets off of jira for 8 hours, write some code, and go home. most of these people should not be trusted to do anything with their computers other than program them, and that last part's a bit dicey
3) the traditional ops people feel like their jobs are being threatened because they don't know how to program (by and large this is correct, and would be correct no matter what; if they don't get devopsed out of existence, they'll get outsourced or replaced by managed service organizations or platform providers or linux or something), so they start cranking through 'how to devops 101' and poo poo in the pool for everyone else
4) the handful of people that give a poo poo about devops/sre positions for realsies get hosed because there's not a lot of jobs that actually fit their skillset and few open up because if you actually are doing interesting work around developer tooling, infrastructure automation, et. al. you're probably a lynchpin and aren't going to leave

traditional it/ops roles are still critically important and are a completely different skillset, imo. ideally "devops" in a professional software dev org is mostly concerned with improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the sdlc via tooling and automation at varying parts of the process.

:discourse:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

not sure what was incorrect in anything i posted there, care to expand on your thoughts

i was suggesting it was a perfect post

have i misinterpreted that emoticon?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

welp

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

ADINSX posted:

Relational databases definitely still have a place in the world, but work best as a view of the data, not the source of truth.

Sure you can shard things out almost indefinitely; but when you want to run analytics on your entire dataset, or subsets of that dataset; you're stuck stitching together partial results from thousands of databases.

The better approach (depending on your usecase of course) is to try and have a single event stream that can put data in multiple places, the database being one of them. A snappy UI can be driven off a SQL database while larger analytics can come from BigQuery/Redshift/Spark Jobs/Beam Jobs etc etc. Important changes made in the UI can be broadcast to that event stream (as well as the local database its using in some sort of "unofficial" change, to make the change seem immediate).

Using a single (or multiple) relational databases might be ok for awhile, but it doesn't take "Google" levels of data for this to be a problem. I work at a medium sized company trying to transition to this model, away from thousands of postgres instances across about 100 physical servers (with really beefy specs). The Postgres servers are fine (well, ok, not really) at delivering reports over relatively short time periods, but we constantly get requests from customers for reports across DB boundaries, or for long periods of time, and that really interferes with our transactional load.

Googling for Whatapp's architecture diagram reveals they do this: data gets put in a relational database but also in riak and probably in a bunch of other places they don't list on the public documents.

we do the same except cassandra and a lot of beefy mysql (😱) rds instances

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jony neuemonic posted:

hell i prefer using a mac for most things, but that’s such a weirdly pissy attitude to have about something that really doesn’t matter that it screams :redflag:

there's not a lot in the way of it policy enforcement for linux

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

qhat posted:

I think it could work if you have lots of automated tests, I'm getting the feeling they might be on the dark side with that though. Good chance to find out though.

who cares? if their ci/cd pipeline is good enough bugfixes can be rolled out in a matter of minutes.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

qhat posted:

What do you do when you need to roll out something more substantial?

incremental rollouts with feature flags or reconsider the "thing" entirely and determine if it needs to actually be deployed all at once. usually producing services and persistence layers can be rolled out and validated before consumers, etc.

this process requires really good build tooling for a monolith or decent tooling for microservices

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

if your test suite takes 8 hours to run your app is either way too big and should be broken into commensurate parts that can be deployed independently and each have their own test suite or else your tests are poo poo and probably aren't actually testing valuable things

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"break up the app into more manageable parts" is almost never a viable option

for sure but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be said

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

oh calm down, it's not abusive jfc

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

all of the negative reviews for my company are sales people :shrug:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

lol this sounds awful

I’ll take “what is sql, but worse for 800 Alex”

i'll take "what is athena for 1000 alex"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

now that looks neat

i wonder how much more expensive it is than just a sql server

or is it on top of an already existing sql server? :ohdear:

it's very very expensive and not at all a 1-1 match for a rdbms. it's designed to query structured s3 objects and is both as slow and as brittle as you'd expect

the only time i've used it was ad hoc querying cloudtrail logs which already has a schema definition available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

that sounds horrible

it is

not having to learn a new, proprietary query language is nice tho