Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah ok, except if that was true, all of us itt would pass every interview we ever take with flying colors, because we're decent at our jobs right? yet i bet you have all bombed an interview, and that day you were, or at least appeared to be, one of the "idiots who have no idea what they're doing with resumes that you would plausibly want to hire". on the other hand, many common interview questions can be studied for and faked. so exactly what signal do we suppose we're getting here, and how do we separate it from the noise?

it's cheaper in the long run to be selective and pass on qualified candidates than it is to take a chance and hire someone that's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

the talent deficit posted:

:wrong:

a bad hire should be easy to gently manage out or isolate where they can't do any real damage until you can turn them into a somewhat okay hire. they cost you a little bit of money and a little bit of productivity (for wasted time onboarding or ongoing training) but that's about it

the cost you pay for passing on qualified candidates is unfilled roles and increased time spent hunting unicorns. the productivity cost is massive even if the money-out-the-door cost seems minimal

agree to disagree then

my old team hired on 2 objectively bad candidates because they were having trouble with recruiting and felt like they just needed butts in seats. it took around 6 months to finally manage them both out. in those 6 months the team lost 2 other members to unrelated issues and the net effect of replacing 2 good employees with 2 bad ones was a massive drop in morale for the rest of the team to the point that i genuinely believed that the other 3 would leave and the team would fold.

being selective about your candidates isn't unicorn hunting it's about making sure that the people you do hire can actually do the work with the team. if that means that you reject candidates you're on the fence about, so be it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

the talent deficit posted:

you had two open spots and you lost two additional employees in six months and you think your hiring practices were to blame?

a) former team
b) :rolleyes: i'm the talent deficit and i've never heard of regular attrition. case in point, i was one of the two to leave for a better opportunity on another team. the other was the manager who realized he wanted to go back to being an ic and wanted to go elsewhere to do it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

ugh a former colleague is pitching a job to me that sounds great on paper but it's a defense contractor for the air force and that sounds like it would be even worse than contracting with the civilian government

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

if memes are to be trusted the air force is the richest branch of the american armed forces, i mean if that's whats worrying you

not so worried about getting paid vs going back to serving the public sector (used to work for a govt contractor that did civilian work) and all the garbage found there in

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shaman Linavi posted:

oh hey this looks familiar

im fukken lolling that the questions are literally the same

it's a standard personality test dumbass

Peeny Cheez posted:

To be perfectly clear, I still do all the little dances, holding in my resentments like a first-date fart until I can express them in an appropriate environment.

you must be a delight to work with jfc

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

qhat posted:

Didn't realise it was standard interview practice for candidates to rate their loneliness levels and how popular they are with the opposite sex.

lol if you even consider giving a real answer to those questionnaires

if you're willing to tank a six figgy income over 10 minutes of this stuff then just loving lol

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

qhat posted:

If a company willingly outs itself as a hellhole for senior execs to demand anything and everything no matter how ridiculous from its employees, including prospective ones, it would behove oneself to pay attention.

aren't you unemployed right now?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

boston is cool but i've lived here for a long time and so i don't notice the lovely people or roads anymore

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

obviously the mta is the best transit system in the country

living on the east coast but not in nyc is p lol

psot u r rent

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i'm ok with that

:wrongcity:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

sure we’re coming from Hoboken and the idea would be to try to keep the lifestyle of a walkable, stroller friendly town with ample restaurants and day-drinking to minimize any regret and culture shock. pickings are slim yo. or pickings less than 4k for a 2B anyways.

Boston proper on the north or west end seem like options.

we're in belmont with a 2 year old and it's pretty good

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

I am on the opposite side of the interview process for the first time in my life. knowing what it’s like now, it is extremely hard to take seriously. what a joke.

i hope you begin to appreciate how hard it is to actually screen talent and make sure you hire good people

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

yeah don't hire for domain expertise unless it's a niche area or you're hiring for deep knowledge in a well known area

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Bloody posted:

being dogmatic is dumb

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

lol at the sorry state of this thread where posters can't fathom the idea of being social with their coworkers and having a drink or two during or after work while also being respectful of people who don't drink

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

who's in boston that's worth working for? i don't want to commute to the companies out by 128 and i don't even want to bother with ms, facebook, or the goog.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jit bull transpile posted:

i think he's being sarcastic

idk posting history says otherwise

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

belfast and dublin have hot markets too

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

for europe

you mentioned a few european cities that had decent programming market i was adding to that list

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The_Franz posted:

isn't that because most us tech companies have their european offices there for reasons of tax shenanigans?

probably :shrug:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Bloody posted:

do i wanna pursue an internal opportunity to be a manager of people? right now i am a technical project manager so this would be like the other half of the managerial stuff - hiring, performance, goals, firing instead of schedule, scope, budget

i generally like people and already work closely with everyone who would be my direct report and while some of them are certainly strong personalities i generally like them all so??

managing can be super rewarding just make sure you're not just adding on to your current responsibilities unless that's exactly what you want

my experience with managing is that i did a really lovely job of defining the bounds of my responsibilities and so i ended up doing everything that i couldn't delegate (which was a lot) and burned myself out like crazy

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Symbolic Butt posted:

also I'm not sure how someone can work with programming for a while and not grow completely insensitive to the "*gasp* you don't know about X???" reactions from fellow programmers

career cops absolutely drive me insane

idgaf whether you care what i do or don't know let me do my job and if i can't then i'll either get termed or move on

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

pullover hoodies 👎

zipup hoodies 😻

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

at my current job i have never tracked a sick day or vacation day and i'll have taken 4 weeks of actual time that i'm on vacation and a whole bunch of random days by the end of the year probably around 6 weeks worth of vacation and sick time total

unlimited vacation can be a dangerous game but it can definitely work in your favor

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

lmao I get to work at 8 and am still asleep until 10

Bean life

:coffeepal:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

A complete cloud-native framework to protect endpoints with ease: Stop breaches with the power of big data, artificial intelligence (AI) and real-time visibility

https://www.crowdstrike.com/endpoint-security-products/falcon-platform/

working on software that doesn't actually do anything has its upsides

late 2 the discussion but endpoint protection is kind of crucial in any kind of enterprise and good endpoint detection and containment software is worth its weight in gold

that said i'm unsure of the efficacy of this latest round of platform connected ones because security software is largely snake oil but i'm gonna keep believing it sorta works because our platform basically pays my salary

also a former coworker works for crowdstrike now (although they do ops) and they like it a lot so i'm sure you could do worse

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait isn't "endpoint protection" mostly a euphemism for antivirus software

sort of i guess

antivirus is a type of endpoint protection mostly targeted at consumers

endpoint protection is usually a managed agent which collects lots of data about processes, operations, and user behavior on an endpoint to detect potential compromise

our agent does data collection for our siem, vm, and logging products and tbh it's pretty sweet tech to work on. one of the junior agent engineers is in the process of getting a patent for a new method of file tree searching

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

oh i get what they do now. i thought endpoint protection was like monitoring api requests for sql injections or ddos or whatever. so i thought crowdstrike built software for automatically securing your vpc with ai and big data which, while maybe possible, is probably bullshit.

but no it's a cloud platform for monitoring the security of your it infrastructure.

you're thinking of a rasp or a waf

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

oookay yeah i was just looking at a company that did rasp. got my wires crossed.

anyone in particular? it's a small product space and i know a bunch of folks at a few of them

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i've having a similar career crisis in that i'm not sure what i want to do next

i spent 4.5 years in application development; web (backed and frontend), desktop, and etl as well as the ci systems and infrastructure to support them; 2 years doing devops work; 1 year in security engineering management; and another 1/2 year so far in security engineering as an individual contributor

i'm in a weird position of being on a security engineering team at a security company so a lot of the problems the average sec eng team are solving have already been solved for us. we have a dedicated secops team that handles id&r, operates our siem and vm solution, and works with it to secure physical and on-prem assets. my team is tasked with securing our cloud infrastructure as well as appsec

company organization and institutional inertia have made it tough for me to feel like i'm having any kind of impact and even though i'm stacking paper i kinda don't want to keep doing it

i moved to sec eng because i was bored of solving the same problems over and over again in devops land but it pays way better than i could probably make as a regular software engineer or a security engineer

i also just got promoted to lead security engineer which probably has some cache if i wanted to move to doing sec eng at another company where my work would be more impactful but i'm not sure i want to stay in the position of either being glorified engineering support or an intentional blocker

idk what's next thoughts?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

salary chat: started my career (not in software) at 36k. moved internally to an engineering position at 65k. promoted a few times but left at 90k for my current company at 132k. changed departments/promoted and now i'm making 160k. they also threw ~100k of rsus at me and i have options from when i were first hired that are probably worth something too

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

working for IBM: bad idea or terrible idea?

i know a guy working for them in the boston area

he said it's "ok"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

it’s the belfast office so maybe the worst of american corporate bullshit is toned down

my company has an engineering office in belfast. dm me if you're curious. not sure what openings we have but i can at least get your name in the system.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

as a note of caution, if you make the jump from ic to management make sure that your company has a support structure in place for new managers and that you have a boss who will support and guide you

i made an internal jump at the end of 2017 to manage a new infrastructure security engineering team because i was confident that it was the next step in my career. a month later my director quit.

i spent almost a year reporting directly to the chief product officer which was great in terms of exposure and being on the inside but really lovely in terms of having an advocate in the business for security.

i was isolated and frustrated and i spent a year banging my head against a wall trying to get my team to accomplish anything. in my frustration, i turned back to writing code and delegated some of my other duties which weren't done.

doing a combined manager, team lead, project manager, and program manager role kept me working late hours and amped up my stress until i had enough and stepped down into a lead ic role.

there were obviously other factors that led to my failure in management, some of them mine and some of them organizational, but the important thing you should take away is that you shouldn't do management because you think it's the next step. manage only if that's what you really actually want to do.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

netflix has some insanely cool tech around video processing, pipelining, and sentiment analysis among other things

their cloud tooling as a non-iaas/paas company is second to none

they also pay gobs and gobs of money

if you have the opportunity to work at netflix take it asap

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Bloody posted:

management wants to hear what they want to hear, so why bother telling them anything except what they want to hear

but how do you demonstrate measurable success and get promotions, raises, and accolades if you're rewriting tools????

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

just found out i passed the interview for a lateral transfer so i'll be going back to building product after 3 years in cloud operations and security

minor raise mostly oriented around a shift from bonus to base comp but the quality of life increase is super significant and hell, i'm actually interested in the work i'm going to be doing starting next month

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

It's a good idea unless you're just pulling numbers out of your rear end.

Bad: Implemented new vacation process which improved morale so much that retention and productivity went up leading to est savings of 420 trillion dollars.

Good: built feature to land 69 million dollar deal.

imo estimation is fine if you can benchmark the costs beforehand

for example: "automated billing analysis process to save finance department $XXX/month in operating hours" or some such nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jit bull transpile posted:

I hosted a gender inclusive app design panel at wwdc today and felt so happy and in my element. I am now trying to figure out how to make that my real job.

thought leader material right here