Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

sent resume for a senior position that's out of my league, to an actual engineering company that does actual manufacturing of actual high-tech things - metal cutting tools, mining and construction equipment, special steels, that kind of thing - and expected it to be a very long shot

they actually responded though and want to talk to me. I don't even have a degree in computer touching, much less engineering. impostering the hell out of myself rn

Actual engineering company doing actual engineering things means that they don't know how to do boring line of business crud computer stuff, almost without exception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Interviewer doesn't talk with screener, part MMLXVI

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

VileLL posted:

quick sanity check:

my company's currently trying to recruit someone with a masters/ preferably phd in computer science + prior experience developing software to create/ incorporate machine learning features in a project/ write and publish research around this.

£25,000 annually is an absurdly lowball figure for this, right?

i knew a guy who got paid about that amount for 1 month of work doing this

also geoffrey hinton was one of my advisor's buddies, so apparently i sort-of-know a guy who got paid about that amount for 1.... hour of doing that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Valeyard posted:

25k is lower than my intern salary 4 years ago

it was lower than what i got paid toto for a 4.5 month internship 5 years ago. not annualized, just the sum of it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
step 0 is to fuckin fix that then
are you near other puter touchers

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

The Leck posted:

so i got an offer from a company/team that seemed pretty good, and it's somewhat significantly more than what i expected. obviously, this is a good problem to have, but i'm not really sure how to go about negotiating here, since the number i had in mind to negotiate UP to was a good deal smaller. anyone else gotten positively surprised by an offer? how did you handle it?

if you didn't tell them your expectations, then it is time to take their offer, crank it up 15-20%, and ask for that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

:yossame:

is hiring scientists turned programmers a good idea? maybe

the number of dipshits from physics labs we end up hiring who we have to teach what git is tells me it's more of a maybe no

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a recruiter asked me out on a date once

i rejected because i'm not an idiot but lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ciaphas, what do you get paid, total comp

we're all strangers here, we can tell you if you're not getting paid enough figgies

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

well this is the part i'm scared ritually to death of because i'm gonna sound like a bougie gently caress, but about $94k/y now plus 3 weeks/year PTO, no sick leave, technically salaried but i don't get paid for less than 40 so worst of exempt and non, really

(e) or maybe not, my measure of success since HS was "can i make it to 100k/yr before I have my midlife crisis" (not phrased that way necessarily, but) but I guess that's changed in the decades since

i got paid more my first job out of college but i went to plutocrat school

find an opportunity to move out to a tech city and i bet youll be able to catch a cool 40, 50, 60k increase and maybe options or rsu's

your budget is hosed tho. i saved 2/3 my takehome in menlo park getting paid proper figgies

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 10, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

how are you taking home less than $52k a year on a $94k salary?

yeah, i wanted to ask that. maybe hes maxing out 401k and ira like a good boy

(maybe he's sniffing it)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

what the gently caress? is this just the effect of the low CoL in the vegas area? i'm not poor by even the faintest stretch but i've never felt so underpaid while so clearly being overpaid as a profession :psyduck:

(e) i don't pay state income tax as a nevadan btw

this is what a cartel that's completely broken in like a 50 mile radius of palo alto and completely intact almost everywhere else looks like

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

well no hang on, i thought cost of living was through the roof in that selfsame radius, was the point, right?

dude i know gets paid 400k total comp and saves 90% his take home. on track to retire in 4 years. age 28. hates his life a lot but its a fuckton of money

cost of living is about 1.5x to 2x. durable goods are same price nationally, home prices are turbofucked. you can still make money if you don't buy bottle service at the bar every weekend or something like that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

ok is this an injoke because it sounds like good readin if so

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?lang=en

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384411458794057728

e: it got a fuckton of currency in blue story's legendary bfc/gws/en thread cuz she was spending about her rent * 1.5 on star wars toys and fast food

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

the thing is that it really doesn't apply, you don't have one thing ur spending $texas on but a bunch of stuff that's a little higher than it probably could be if you shopped around for a better deal

he bought his car new

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

... 1.5x my base pay plus mega benefits right out of college?

i also got paid more than you my first job out of college, altho not as much, but more equity

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

so basically by living about 350 miles away from a tech hub (400?) in the loving burning desert and working at a hateful job for people who murder nonwhites with r/c planes for oil, i've been getting hosed in every available orifice in terms of figgies

yeah, that about adds up

yes

it's why the nsa can't hack worth poo poo anymore, they have to start peeps at 75k and government pay in the payscale only goes up to 140k or so, lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

prisoner of waffles posted:

you can find nsa job postings on stackoverflow careers and the pay ranges are sh-sh-sh-shameful for the skills being requested

i saw a job posting from them at 67k

annualized, i got paid more than that at my internship

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

oh, there it is from triplebyte. yep, turned down because i froze up on the practical of 'implement tic tac toe in 30 minutes', they don't plan to continue

turned down by a recruiter. what a loving low.

and my therapist has emphatically encouraged me to quit job because, well, it was one hell of a heart to heart session today, let me put it that way, so

gently caress.

now what.

gettin yourself hired is a sales process. this is the root of why computer touchers hate it.

to get 1 offer, you need on the order of 2-5 onsites, if you're going through a normal interview process. to get those 2-5 onsites, you need 4-20 phone screens. to get 4-20 phone screens, you need on the order of 69-420 resumes handed out. there is no system of success that you can jiggle out. there are ways that you can be turbofucked and fail forever, so you can satisfice by avoiding the avenues of failure.

how many at the top of the funnel? how many resumes going in the top go to phone screens? phone screen to onsite? onsite to offers?

the way that salespeeps earn their pay is in facing rejection. therefore, paradoxically, the least successful salespeeps have to have the toughest chops with the core emotional skill that they have. but there's no way to be a salespeep without at least facing some withering rejection

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 12, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jit bull transpile posted:

don't be ridiculous. very few people are getting bonuses that big and you shouldn't people's expectations to be that absurd.

you're right, you should be earning that much via rsu's or equivalent equity (but lol equity), not bonus

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jit bull transpile posted:

yeah
and it would be ridiculous to call rsus "annual bonus" because it will take you years at the job to realize their full value.

1 year cliff 4 year vest, be very suspicious of anything that isn't, but prolly also need to fight for refreshers at 3rd year or so

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

meatpotato posted:

and let's knock off the compensation talk for a while

having a life-loving job is bad enough

hearing that other people get paid more salary, get a bonus that isn't a gift card, and get company stock just rubs salt in the wound

means of production, seize em

but sure, ok

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

to be perfectly honest i'd appreciate an explanation of why it's polite to keep mum about salary because, other than its side effect of making workers afraid to talk to each other, i don't get it

workers afraid to talk to each other is not the side effect, it's the whole intent

many things about korean culture are poo poo. this one is not. i usually asked a date while i lived in korea what she made after she told me what she did and vice versa, or like 15 minutes after

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dan luu is extremely not lying, get on his twitter

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

meatpotato posted:

exposing my ignorance: who is dan luu?
he's a programmer with a blog, according to google?

this was a dumb reply

e: nvm, i see the article above

he has one of the more popular programmer blogs because he does actually technically cool poo poo. worked on bing, worked on the goog tensor chip

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

Img]aubreyplazawow.gif[/img]

"worked on the tpu" is significantly more impressive, yah

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

unfortunately (fortunately) here's family drama riding to the rescue: brother quit his job and may be as miserably depressed as i am :|

with my making more than my mum and aunt combined (and both of them owning quite nice homes despite that now that i think on it, but i guess they've been at it longer) and no one else for him to lean on, me quitting would just be irresponsible and gross, accessible retirement be damned

dont stop sending resumes

try snacker news

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Arcsech posted:

When I was looking, I turned that on and got basically nothing, since I got New Job at Prestigious Company, I turned it off and the recruiters won’t shut the gently caress up

Yeah, my sister got a job at the goog for a few years touching computers and she gets 3-4 recruiter spams a day

I get roughly the same amount having gone to plutocrat school and worked at two famous startups

Recruiters can't tell you how old swift is but they can deffo tell you how famous the goog or plutocrat school is

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

that reminds me is LinkedIn itself useful as a job search engine or will I just keep wandering into outdated posts/information like so far

its ostensibly for talkin to recruiters only it's not any fuckin good for talkin to recruiters

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

oh well, i'll apply out the normal way

i consider it a good day if i get at least one app out a day at this point, i know that's nowhere near enough but i keep judging myself before i even apply once i find a match ("no, i'm not even close on the listed requirements on this even if i think i could adapt")

trying to stop doing that :v:

here's a lil flowchart for whether you should apply:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

I reached the point there are no more places left to apply so I just sent my resume to the same places where I was rejected already to get rejected again lol

... find another site thing? apply for remote jobs? where the hell do you live that you actually run out of places to apply to?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

isn’t Brazil about to elect a hitler, maybe you should be looking internationally

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Glorgnole posted:

i have a bud who works for IBM in cambridge

didnt answer their question

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that post was targeted at some fuckstick who thought he was gonna leave a first world country for greener pastures. that’s rare for exactly the reason I elucidated

you are in a different situation. you are presumably educated and well qualified, and competent in the global business language of choice, but finding nothing in your home market

so, why is it worth it for a foreign firm to hire you? unlike their domestic candidates or American expats you are desperate, and you are likely willing to accept pay grades the locals and high dollar expats will not

money that i and lots of us citizen peeps would laugh at and reject, like 100k usd + 50k in rsu's or whatever

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

... which would be better than average outside of the top four markets in the US?

if they're angling for a remote job, congrats, anything outside the top 4 markets in the us or maybe some other global finance hubs if they're willing to do that poo poo, they don't exist

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
soma and financial district neighborhoods in sf has more billion dollar (usd) tech companies than the entire western hemisphere south of the us, if i counted correctly

e: just soma

e2: just the middle part of soma

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 14, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

which ireland is the good one? i always forget

the one that doesn't have unionists
(tiocfaidh ar la is pronounced "chucky ar la")

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
apparently i get to skip the goog phone screen :yotj:

i'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to do that but lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Janitor Prime posted:

Seattle is getting a light rail up to Northgate and Shoreline soon :toot:

i mean, still doesnt change the fact that nyc metro is the only non-poo poo metro in the western hemisphere by soulless vast asian city standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

EnergizerFellow posted:

so what's the 4th/5th/6th biggest markets these days after the usual bay/nyc/seattle? boston? dfw? chicago?

LA austin boston

(you may not want to count the bay as one, unless you like commuting oakland to san jose)