Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Emacs Headroom posted:

I, personally, have never read a cover letter. It takes me about 45 seconds to scan a resume, and the top things I'm looking for are experience (or projects), relevant pubs, and familiarity with frameworks / languages / tools the job uses

but I'm the type of interviewer that thinks whiteboarding some dynamic programming puzzles is a total waste of time.

How does an interview with you typically go? What questions do you ask? Do u spend most of the time going indepth on the points in their resume? What would indicate to you that the interviewee is someone to hire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

qhat posted:

This. Cheating on tests because you just "know" you'll be able to do the "real" job is dumb. I see lots of applications that have poo poo like "I don't have the main thing you require, but I'm confident I can pick it up", more like "uh yeah I'll spend several months figuring poo poo out instead of just performing off the bat before getting fired because they expected me to already be an expert :rolleyes:".

If someone hasnt used the main framework u use, but theyve used similar ones that do pretty much the same thing, would that be good enough to avoid the “No” pile?

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Valeyard posted:

im happy at current job, but still think im underpaid for all the stuff i do and how well i do it (compared to others around me)

i already know from experience than i am better than a lot of people ive worked with that have 3/4/5 times the experience i do

main problem is convincing other people of this in an interview scenario

Thats the good poo poo right there. I’d recommend lowering your “working on work” time so youre only 10% better than everyone else, and then spending the rest of your time gaining knowledge on other technologies to improve your own personal value

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

under capitalism we are all owned

Then move to china or north korea, commie