Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
got a big one tomorrow and pretty nervous. been watching neetcode to prep after doing some a handful of Fun Ones to warm my fingers up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

KidDynamite posted:

what are “Fun Ones”?

dynamic or sliding window problems that seem interesting to me, cause it's where i feel like im weakest

ok interview in 45 minutes wish me luck yospos. i hate this process lol

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How'd this go?

hey thanks for following up :) it went pretty well! i absolutely nailed most of the technical questions, and i always feel strong about my performance with behavioral questions too. there was a code design one i was more iffy on. so fingers crossed!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That is good to hear, hope you get the bag!
:unsmith: wholesome interviewing thread is wholesome

bob dobbs is dead posted:

feeling like you did well can be remarkably uncorrelated w doing well, cuz if you fail early on a lotta peeps softball the rest of the interview and if you're a real serious candidate they sorta pull out the nerd hazing

i rigorously try never to do this but ive given hundreds of interviews at this point

really you just say 'alea iacta est' and work on your continual pipeline. its sales, just do sales poo poo

yeah, i wont take it too personally if im wrong about how it went, you're 100% right it's just kinda a dice roll.

i've only given dozens of interviews myself and i find that if im falling into the "decided the interview in the first five min" trap, i pull myself out by identifying the candidates passion and giving them kind-of a soft ball to zone in on it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Lady Radia posted:

got a big one tomorrow and pretty nervous. been watching neetcode to prep after doing some a handful of Fun Ones to warm my fingers up.

:toot:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

got a job offer on friday after (apparently) crushing the last interview the day before, never said a number (just said im happily employed but if you can offer something competitive ill definitely be interested)

number they gave is essentially identical to my existing comp

countered (polietly) with +30%, recruiter hasn't replied/acknowledged my email for 2 days now lol

how do you do this? considering it with my current offer but never actually countered before.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Corla Plankun posted:

a template i really like from the negotiating thread is

they will probably not meet your number but they will bump up the original substantially

after they do that, ask about a signing bonus, and then you've got the best offer they can do!

bonus points if you then use that as an anchor for the next offer and redefine $(loving ton of money) as (value of the offer) * 140%

ive already got a signing bonus on offer that is literally more than my current yearly salary so im not gonna mess with that, but this gives me a great template for asking for the (relatively small) bump i was hoping for :) if they no I'll probably be good. Thank you so much for the advice all!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yeah, my poverty brain is literally screaming "take the money and run", that's what i'm really trying to prevent myself from doing here when i know i could be leaving money on the table.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Lady Radia posted:

yeah, my poverty brain is literally screaming "take the money and run", that's what i'm really trying to prevent myself from doing here when i know i could be leaving money on the table.

:toot: the advice to always negotiate is correct, folks.

thanks everyone here for the well wishes and everything :)

w/r/t hiring freeze chat: i think it depends on how 'tech' the company is. the ones that don't really have products in a tangible sense are still doing gangbusters, but poo poo like fintech and the startups that still havent turned profit are pumping the brakes a lil bit.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

that's definitely fake or a joke but nice try cop

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

No Wave posted:

Reading the blind forums really helped/opened my eyes as to what was actually available in the job market. Seeing people type like channers about 300k+ salaries really motivates you to get back into the job market. I had really bad motivational issues about interview prep until I started reading it.

any highlights? i dunno im super interested to go delving there

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

new upper and middle management that is taking the politics guns and blasting our team in the face

uh oh. how bad on a scale of one to chud

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i like jetbrains Rider and jetbrains CLion and also jetbrains WebStorm thank you for listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Kernel Sanders posted:

rider is the visual studio your mom said you had at home

it's not AS good as visual studio but it's pretty good. i recommend giving it a shot

it's also perfect for when you're writing C# on non-windows PCs, like most people are doing now that windows is deprecated