Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I'm expecting an interview at a cyber security company soon, focusing on their Windows EDR offering.

I've got over a decade of experience in a related space so I'm not too worried but I'd still like to make sure I prepare as thoroughly as possible.

I went through all of the books I have on relevant topics for review (eg windows internals, driver development books, algorithms, data structures), did a hundred hacker rank challenges, and brushed up on a bunch of soft skills questions.

Is there other poo poo I should be preparing for or just get a good night's sleep and let 'er rip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

well, you haven't even said if it's a swe, sre, security engineer, etc role so it's hard to give advice without knowing what to give advice about. if you're doing hackerrank it's probably swe, so:

Yeah sorry, I should've said SWE.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

How often are recruiters up front about salary?

I got referred by a friend who works at the company, instead of applying normally. In my first discussion with the recruiter they told me the salary range would be X to Y. I thought this was a great approach but after talking to some other people it seems uncommon. Is it only because I was an internal referral?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

The Fool posted:

the recruiter I am currently working with gave me a salary range for the position up front and they have also been very pleasant to work with throughout the process

they did try to get a number out of me first, but when I refused they were basically “no problem, here’s the range for the position, is that ok?”

This was how it went for me as well. I declined to give an exact number so she shared the range "plus RSUs". I'm not sure what exactly to expect for negotiation on stock if I get to that point.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, no, the important thing is that you are likely looking for work to get paid, so their current and future ability to pay you should top the important things list.

Additionally, keep in mind any equity you're being given is not liquid today, and may never be. Unless the startup is acquired or IPOs, it's monopoly money.

I had an offer to work at a startup this summer. It sounded like a great project, and I was interested, but the total compensation was nowhere near where I would've wanted it to be.

After doing a lot of thinking, the conclusion I came to was that a startup would be an excellent place to quickly skill up and learn lots of different things quickly. If you're fairly junior, even if the pay isn't great, it might be worth it for the accelerated experience. This wasn't my situation so I passed.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

The entire process being spread out over many, many weeks as you slowly drip through the interviews is really the worst part. My anxiety is off the charts.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

For companies that have Senior vs Senior 2 what's the difference generally? Is there any consistency?

I'm coming from a government department where there are no such titles (lol not even Senior) and I'm aiming for at least a Senior position but have no idea if I should be gunning for Senior 2.

This is for a Windows software research and development position, both user and kernel, focusing on cyber security.

I've been in a cyber security development role for over a decade and for the past 7 years I've been a Windows developer & vulnerability researcher, and have led several projects and workshops and shipped a dozen products and lead teams as large as six people. Is this Senior 1, or 2?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

This fills me with dread

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

oldjob had senior 2 and it was a shitshow. it wasn't remotely consistent internally and it was basically impossible to get promoted to it without taking a round trip through the management ladder.

I've no idea what senior 2 looks like at a place that has a sane promo path. tbh I'd expect it to just be a higher payband based more on being there a while than actual work duties. the idea of "this is senior work" vs "this is senior 2 work" seems silly to me

Makes total sense. It's good to confirm that it's going to be completely arbitrary.

I think I'll be happy with either considering I've been in my current position forever and there is no performance or incentive pay, so I've had 1.5% cost of living raises and no other advancement for 8 years, because I'm an idiot!!!!!!!!!!

The lowest starting salary on the Senior tier is a 55% pay increase over my current job. If I include the lowest tier of equity (since it's a publicly traded company) then my total compensation increase is more like 100%. Not much to be disappointed about there.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

the contract is sealed, new employment secured. time to inform my boss that I’m getting the gently caress out of here, but he’s out for Canadian thanksgiving so I will have to wait an extra day to do it. my boss is in canada. my new boss is in Texas, lol.

Congrats!

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I'm on the final round of interviews now; I had one this morning, and have one Tuesday and one on Wednesday, so the gauntlet is nearing the end. This morning's interview went great so hopefully the next two are similar!

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Shortly after finishing my final interview, I got an email from the hiring manager to tell me that my interviews went well and I had great feedback and that they'd be making me an offer soon and to watch for the official email from the recruiter. I was very appreciative of this, the whole process of looking for a new job has been very anxiety inducing and I thought it was nice of him to let me know the outcome was positive instead of making me wait for the recruiter to get in touch :unsmith:

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

FMguru posted:

you dont really have a job until they hand you your building security badge

firm job offers go poof at the eleventh hour all the time

the worst thing you can do is slacken or wind down all the other job hunting you are doing because you think its over and youve got the job you want

job hunting sucks and the impulse to stop doing once it looks like youve succeeded it is incredibly strong, but you need to put that aside and keep hunting and sending out resumes and going on interviews right up until you get your badge and fill out the direct-deposit paperwork on your first official day

I'm definitely not leaving my job until I have a signed offer; I just appreciated the relief of being told what to expect instead of being left hanging.

Good advice all around.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Faith For Two posted:

I applied to some jobs but haven’t gotten any interviews yet. should I get a webcam? any webcam recommendations for interviewing and/or making money on the side by having lonely people give me money?

At some stage interviewers are going to expect to do video calls so getting a webcam would be a good idea. All you need is any decent name brand cam eg Logitech.

The microphones are generally poo poo so you might consider getting some kind of desk mic or lavalier mic. Or just wear your gaming headset if you want to look like a particular type of weirdo.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Why are recruiters

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

third party recruiters are a legacy from before the internet was useful. they are entirely garbage. don’t talk to them.

first party recruiters are basically secretaries for scheduling interviews. be nice to them

Dealing with a series of first party recruiters; they have all been slow, unreliable, and confused. I get the purpose they serve, I'm just amazed at how ineffective they appear to be at serving it.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I put in my two weeks notice today. At the end I'll have a week to clear my head between jobs, then starting at newjob the following week with a total compensation increase of nearly 100%.

Hell yeah

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

has anyone else gotten a large comp adjustment in the last few months?

i started at a fairly large tech company at the end of 2020 at around 240k total comp; this was almost double my previous salary, so i was happy with the offer. i got nearly 100k more in equity in 2021 during performance review, which seemed good to me as well. my performance reviews so far have all been glowing so i figured i was on track for a decent raise this year.

early this year i was told that apparently i was determined to be behind the target comp for my position and i'd be getting some kind of comp bump, completely unrelated to performance. i didn't know what this would look like and i expected it to be a small salary raise. it turned out to be an additional 400k in equity :eyepop:

i'm both thrilled and baffled by this. is the market just this competitive now?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

what kind of timelines are you talking here? 100k over 4 years for perf is a very different beast from 100k per year. same question wrt the 400k. a better question is, what's your level and what's your TC now? it kinda sounds like you were way underpaid and they're making sure you don't go looking by bumping you to baseline

each equity grant is 4yr vesting. 100k/4yr from perf review, 400k/4yr from being under the baseline. level is Senior Engineer. my tc is going to be approaching 400k/yr once all the grants line up and maximum figgie alignment has occurred

quote:

??? Where do you live

remote position but i'm in :canada:

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

tk posted:

You’re performing well and they want to retain you. Congrats!

it's wild to me that it was unprompted. i didn't think i was underpaid. i will shut the gently caress up and take the money though

carry on then posted:

lmao it's not that competitive everywhere. i got promoted late last year and got a 7% bump to 140k. unless i'm missing something that's also my tc, we don't get bonuses or rsus. i've also been told that since i got that raise with my promotion not to expect anything from the salary plan later this year

inflation last year was 7%

maybe it would be worth it to explore more competitive options

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

kinda related, but those of you who moved cross-country to take a better-paying job, how did you handle uprooting, if it was just you moving? was it overall worth it?

one of the things keeping me here is i have a nice group of friends and zero confidence i'd ever make any more at 30, especially since the places the companies i'd be interested in applying to are all in areas notorious for being unfriendly (i.e. "seattle freeze").

get a remote work position, then you don't have to move for a new job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

qhat posted:

for the record though there’s exactly a zero percent chance I get 500k USD for IC and be able to stay in Canada. the most I can probably expect anywhere is 400k CAD which happens to be exactly what I’m going to ask for.

you can definitely get well over 400k cad total comp working remote in Canada for positions above senior engineer