Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bob dobbs is dead posted:

should note you claimed the broken quad

i always feel like a quad that crosses page boundaries isnt worth claiming, thats just my personal biases though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah, right? my go to nutso interviewee story

told it in this thread twice

i have two interview stories which i will reproduce here for your amusement:

1) so this guy comes in and we do the usual interview things. He's pretty senior, but not some super bigshot. We start on the whiteboardy stuff and he's ok but doesnt really like to talk about stuff, even after we prompt him that what we're really looking for is someone who can communicate well about what they're doing because it was an XP shop and it was pair programming all the time - a fact he knew about when he accepted the interview btw. Anyway, so he's pretty much just a "accept problem, think, produce answer" guy and me and the other dude interviewing him are just kinda sitting there watching him doodle on the whiteboard and he stops, sighs, kinda loosens his shoulders and says "I dont have to do this" and grabs his bags and walks out without another word.

2) not really an interview question per se but a dude came in that had "educational software for african grey parrots" on his resume - he was apparently part of some research project - but everyone wanted to ask questions about writing bird software. People out in the cubes were like "the birdware guy is here!! the birdware guy is here!!"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

need birdware deets

it was in Qt on one of those touchscreens that rely on a grid of IR beams. It was a lot of kinda vocabulary building stuff with pictures, like someone reading a primer to a preverbal kid. There were quizzes with like "pick the apple from this grid of four images" type of questions.

apparently the hard part is that the bird would lose engagement really easy, especially after kind of halfassedly answering a question and having it not register, and there was some attempt at voice recognition as well but this was back in like 2005 or so and voice recognition wasn't very good.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah all power to that guy but it was just surprising

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

this is the only acceptable way to handle things when you find yourself interviewing at an xp shop. the only thing he could have done better was not showing up to begin with.

gently caress that pivotal nonsense

eh

i have some complex feelings about it but i would probably not want to do it full time, its very exhausting.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Not a Children posted:

As a side note I've been using one of the previously mentioned interview questions to try to teach myself python by building Minesweeper in console, thank you for the project inspiration

its a quality learning project imo, you got yer data structures, you got yer input sanitizing, ya got yer algorithms, you got a buncha good stuff

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lol i forgot about my recent round of interviews

1) the person who both spelled and pronounced it as 'interger'
2) the person who was in fact struggling with fizzbuzz who dropped off the call, then 5 minutes later logged back in saying their internet died and then proceeded to do the fizzbuzz flawlessly without any further input.
3) the person who was clearly being coached by someone behind the camera

rotor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 10, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Quackles posted:

:stonk: That sounds horrible.

idk it had its upsides. It was really intensely social which is good for some kinds of people, lots of the engineers ended up as very good friends. But of course that has downsides as well. Mostly it was just really exhausting.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

minor snags: i was the only remote member of the team, and while iaac and devopsy poo poo was on my plate and lends okay to pair work, a huge chunk of it was doing manual account creation/onboarding/offboarding of user accounts on services we were too cheap to pay for sso integration on. this work really was kinda pointless to pair on, but i spent *months* with a pivot watching over my shoulder on google hangouts as i did this.

lmao this sounds loving awful but i feel like this is more of a "pivotal wants to get paid" problem and less of a "xp sucks" problem

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

[homer voice] can you, uh, work faster?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

rotor does your place actually ask fizzbuzz in their screens :toughguy:

my place? no

me personally? yes, and more than half the candidates cant do it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

holy moly, drat

the contractors are the worst

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mentioned it before but everyone should interview once a year even (especially) if you dont need a new job

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dioxazine posted:

five technicals and then a panel at the end

gross. Like back to back?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s normal FAANG interviewing, it’s 5 different people talking to you

i remember goog being 3 but its been a while

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

went into the office today for a larf, it wasnt fun, wfh 4 ever

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

Shoulda went to the cabin instead

boy howdy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like what if we are the fizzbuzz though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

think about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

Question for interviewers:

If you gave a fizz buzz and the candidate made it say “ligma” and “balls”, would that be a power move?

Asking for a friend

instahire imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

insanely sangerous

this mf said sangerous

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dioxazine posted:

i'm quite upset! i've never been ghosted like this before so i wasn't sure what i should be doing. i just sent the mail asking if there was any further interest in me and if it was just a scheduling error

for future reference I would not ever give voice to the idea that they might no longer be interested in you as a candidate.

Something like

"Hi, I was given $URL to meet you on zoom and I was there at 10am my time but no one showed up to the interview. Perhaps there was a scheduling error? Please let me know ASAP, as I would like to avoid a drawn-out interview process, and I'm sure you would as well."

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

Don't promote / introduce an idea unless you're OK with the idea becoming true.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Maybe they never shipped anything.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

if you want some skin crawling advice take a useless PM bait cert class (i.e. SAFe) and use it to network

if you want to network i think you want the CCNA

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

thats a long commute but honestly not as long as I thought it was. Not much worse than communting between LA & SF.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

could easily tack on an extra two hours from just getting out of NYC/nj traffic or snowstorms on i80

i'm just lookin at distance, i assume traffic is equivalent

330 vs 430 I think? i'm just surprised, i thought itd be farther.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

Man i did a hour commute for three or six months before deciding never again, what a waste of your life. I won't take a job i cant reasonably get a 15 minute commute or less or be fully remote. Lifes to short to sit in traffic

I had a long commute for a while where it was 90 minutes if i did it at normal hours or 45 minutes if i did it at 4am & 2pm and my kids were reliably waking me up at 3am anyway so I just did that and honestly it was kind of nice when the roads are open and empty and you can just cruise down.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

1) never be honest in exit interviews. Just smile and say you're leaving because you want to spend more time with your family, or that you felt the need for new challenges, some incredibly vanilla thing like that. Exit interviews can never help you, the best case is that they dont do anything. The worst case is you hurt someones feelings and 6 years later you have to work with them again, and they remember you. If possible, avoid the interview entirely.

2) When someone approaches you about a job in a company you have ethical issues with, let the recruiter know in a way that is possible for them to pass up the chain. It is the smallest, tiniest thing you can do to effect change. If facebook knows they're facing recruiting challenges because no one wants to work for Democracy Subversion Inc then that is a small piece of pressure to change for the better. An angry rant wont get passed up the chain. I have a form letter, feel free to file it away somewhere:

quote:

Hi $NAME,

I appreciate you reaching out. Unfortunately given the past several years I dont feel like I'd be ethically comfortable working for $COMPANY, which is a shame given my interest and experience in $SKILL. I sincerely hope you guys can get that worked out in the near future.

Thanks again for reaching out,

$YOURNAME

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

obviously raytheon is not gonna be like "well, i guess we should just make farm implements from now on" but its at least some pressure. Like I said, it may be no more effective than venting spleen at some recruiter, but like that dude is not Mr. Raytheon, he's just some guy tryin to make it to the weekend just like you. Being a recruiter isnt really a great job.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

exactly

as a departing employee, what exactly are my incentives to say anything other than bland pleasantries in an exit interview? i dont work here any more, its not my job to fix your company's broken culture, and anything sharp or negative I say might come back to bite me some day (unlikely, but possible)

just give me my final paycheck and let me hand over my security badge and laptop

I have actually been bitten by being honest in an exit interview. Most of my advice comes from making really lovely choices in my life.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i've come to the conclusion that number 2 is basically worthless. i've tried politely saying the above almost verbatim, i've tried saying more directly "i will never work for your organization, please stop contacting me". i've seriously set up auto-forward rules from company domains to forward to senior leadership along with a message that i'd like to no longer be contacted by the company again.

yet somehow for the last decade i continue to receive quarterly emails from meta and palantir recruiters.

yeah the intent is not to stop the recruiter spam - that will never happen - it's to give those recruiters something to wave at their management chain when they miss their quotas. One day that management chain might actually do something to make the company less awful.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

The one good recruiter i had made it explicitly clear they didnt get commission or w/e for placing me, idk how common or not that is

my understanding is that in-house recruiters are normally like that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

telling companies you won't work for them because they're evil in the hopes that this will actually change anything is somewhat naive i think.

I did say it was the tiniest thing you could do. I think if it became a more common practice it might have an effect. Landslides are often made up of small rocks and so on.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

for the love of all that is good, be upfront and honest about your loving visa status during the interview process

we just had to pull an offer from a candidate because they waited until the end of the interview process to ask us to sponsor their now expired visa

If i was desperate, I would do the same thing - try to make the hiring manager want me badly enough to break a process and sponsor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

matti posted:

younger matti had a dreams of becoming a traditional painter

younger rotor as well