Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
yay I get to do this for the first time in 15 years because Rob Ford enjoyed cutting the Ontario Health Budget 50% and first round of mass layoffs included me... I guess thats what I get for being on the sunshine list =/

Not sure if serverence is something thats negotiable, it seems like fair offer, but it's nowhere near a yearly salary (and I don't expect it to be, just saying I would rather have a guarented salary than this 25% package... I can't believe how many they cut from my company today (if you know ontario healthcare you know the company)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Any help would be thankful [cross-posted to sec gently caress thread as they know their poo poo as well]

e: answered in sec-gently caress.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 7, 2020

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

qirex posted:

we're trying to hire someone and I'm reviewing resumes and woof, I forget how many truly terrible candidates there are out there

Yea, I remember when I used to pick resumes/interview for Tier2 tech's at [Mega Telecom]and the amount of absolute trash resumes we got were astounding, I could see why my manager handed it off to me to weed out all the trash, and then even the good ones - I'd say 50% would be complete failures at answering on the fly questions about stuff they're experts at supposedly.

sidenote: I did a mass apply only twice on indeed and got absolutely nothing a few months back so that sucked considering I didn't even get call backs and I know my resume is perfectly fine, then my trudeau bucks ran out and did another mass apply last week and got a solid hit and just got offered the job today which I'll take since it's pay is good and sometimes I'll get to pet doggies at Vet Clinics :dance:

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

so, I got a job that I'm way overqualified for (ie. they already gave me a laptop/phone and WFH before my second week, and i was doing onsite visits on my 6th day - straight up telling me they've never had people go onsite/get their gear until after the 3 month probation is up). I've also been doing all their "hard" tickets that have been sitting in queue cause people can't figure out how vlan's and firewalls work and poo poo like that :shrug: (usually assigned to my manager and he shadows me while I do them to make sure I don't fuckup/see my skill level i guess).

The question I have is I took their initial offer, but I feel way undervalued now compared to my coworkers (who are probably making more, one guy who I befriended is making about 12k more, but he's been there 3 years), and with it being a Small Business (30 employees, CEO --> Tech Director/Manager --> IT Krew (Me) levels) I know its a pain in the rear end to get a raise - The job is fine, but should I wait for 3months before asking for a raise or should I do it sooner? I mean it kinda gives away my position that I'd be willing to leave at any notice if I don't get the raise - and I'm not really bluffing as the commute sucks (until WFH starts, which is usually after "6 months" but could be like next month for me)... and I do kind of have an open-ended offer at my old company when they have positions open from my old manager; they just don't have anything right now that I can bluff with (though that job sucked compared to this one but paid like 15k more)

We're also hiring 2 other people for this position, starting like next week or the week after; so maybe wait to see how I compare to them after 2 weeks then ask? I've just never asked for a raise before, because I'd always be getting like the standard 6-10%/year at previous Big Telecoms/Government; and the offer I took was in the middle of the range I asked in the initial HR interview, but seeing it now I should have added 10k on top of that :v:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 9, 2020

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking...

Jabor posted:

Do you have regular 1-on-1 chats with the tech director? Are they aware that you're ramping up way faster than everyone else, are doing more work and taking on harder tickets than your colleagues?

yea, the director is my manager, so I'm basically doing tickets that my colleagues escalate to him for whatever reason (can't figure it out / team lead is off somewhere onsite, etc). Hell I revamped their whole email support setup in 3 hours... They were doing a support@company.com account that forwards to literally everybody, and everybody is always replying all and the chains are loving insane; including shipping/accounting/development stuff; then theres those who only reply to the client so no one has any idea it's been completed or in progress or anything and then people spend time doing already done work :negative:

I just made a support mailbox, had everyone add it to their outlook (and they were amazed you could do that) - now we just use that shared box and it auto cc's all replies, and also created a get this, a Completed/Done folder, where you move your poo poo when its done... now poo poo is actually traceable when people are off shift or whatever the gently caress... Then they were amazed at the labels/colours you can flag emails with.... ugh... going from Big loving Telecom & Big loving Government (eHealth) to small business is wild...

I just remember my first job at a similar sized small business before I went into Big Co/Govt, it was like pulling teeth for anything, including oncall pay (lol $100/week to be oncall 24/7/365 gently caress you); though that company was a complete shithole, from owner all the way down... so I\ve always had that feeling that asking for a raise at a small company would seem it's basically taking it directly out of the owners pocket whereas at mega-co's, my manager is just given money to distribute.

(I'd be asking for about 20% more than my offer but would be okay with 10% for reference)

Hirez fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 9, 2020