Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Started a job last year with a 2h commute each way so I've been getting up at 5:45 every morning, pretty envious of all you who've managed to retain night owl status

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

partially a two-body problem constricted by bay area geography (partner does not commute south like I do and, there's nowhere we can move that would improve my commute without drastically worsening it for her) and also south bay rents are astronomical vis a vis what I pay for a 300sqft studio in Oakland

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Chalks posted:

You've got to be pretty careful you don't burn out if you're putting yourself through that every day

Yep this is what I've discovered. I'm renting a spare bedroom for a few nights a week down there, which has helped, but it's still, like, holy christ what am I doing with myself

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

lifehack: move to the spare bedroom and ditch your other place
I'd get a dedicated parking spot since it's in the deepest darkest suburbs too so don't think this hasn't crossed my mind

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

interviewing status: blocking on my application flowing through teams at BayAreaBigCo; meanwhile NYC startup is gonna fly me out after MLK weekend

so I guess this means I have to remember how to reverse a linked list again :negative:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

a yosposter literally dosed me post-lunch with this stuff

lmao oops sorry jawn, I multiplex two espresso shots into one virtual single-shot americano

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

<edit: probably not the right thread>

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Flat Daddy posted:

would apple actually care / look at it if I made a side project macOS app in swift?
YMMV but in my experience at Apple nobody really paid any attention to my side projects or other out-of-preordained-interview-band stuff, nor did that stuff ever come up when I interviewed candidates.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

I used to work at a Scala shop that was unconventional in the sense that nobody thought very highly of the actor model, which I guess is what the rest of the Scala community is all about these days

and then would get super salty at candidates who submitted take-home tests using Akka instead of threads and locks and atomics as god intended and would not listen to me begging them to either be more open-minded or change the take-home wording :mad:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

I have to say, it feels pretty nice to not have a job to go to

interviewing, recruiting, and also jobs are for suckers

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

MononcQc posted:

also renting if you want pets is an exercise in continuous frustration.
This is the big one for me. I don't particularly care about ~owning land~[1] but drat do I miss not having a dog at home :(

[1]: if the government can take your land away from you for not paying your taxes, is it really your land :grovertoot:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

what's the most decent place on the west coast to live
seattle circa 1999 hth

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

just applied to a job at mozilla and felt bad about submitting without a cover letter, so ty for validating my choice

when they reject me I'll be sure to secretly blame you all

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

this is a super-common occurrence, OP, at least among big places/FAANGs, so don't worry about it

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

be careful of the one pitfall of that scenario, where both companies livelock themselves waiting for the other to give you an offer for them to counter

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

just seems like wishful thinking, like you can just buy this security product instead of investing in security engineers. i guess that's enterprise for you
by any measure of reality that's true

but if you rub a WAF over your network then you get to tick off boxes for your ISO 27001 certification, which some big prospective customer is making you pass before they consder giving you $$$

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

iospace posted:

Question: if a company requires you to submit an expected salary, what should you submit then?
The last time someone tried this and wouldn't take my polite dodging as a hint, I told them $500k total comp to get 'em off my back and they countered with $150k total comp, so, this suggests aiming high isn't necessarily the best plan

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah this is what i’ve heard as well. if you’re looking for a long term and steady gig to support a family you could do a hell of a lot worse than IBM. if you’re single and looking to go places with your career than ehhhh you could do a lot better than IBM

it’s basically :geno: in job form
One of my closest friends is at IBM and I've met a bunch of their colleagues, this is the impression I get.

Like, as of 2013-2014 their team was building cgi-bin scripts in Perl 4, and if I'm reading between the lines correctly my friend didn't get any stock grants, so it isn't clear that you'll have anything to add to your resume or be able to stack those figgies, but eh it's a job I guess?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

I agree with all the others, if the interviewer didn't offer help or a reformulation to help you get unstuck, that says more about them imo.

Got an onsite scheduled for tomorrow (and two more for next week), hopefully these will go better than the previous one I did, where I had to implement LZW compression, got it done by the end of the interview, and then got bounced anyway :confused::coffee:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

i got there at least part of the way on my own recognizance, just took a couple of prompts to get the solultion out in 40 of the 45 minutes we were scheduled for. we were talking the whole time, I was just stumbling from what I guess is panic

so really, yeah, i don't know what they expected or even if that was good or bad or what, interviewing fuckin sucks, etc
I legitimately don't know why "had to think about it and tried some things that didn't work, but got it in the end" is less desirable an interview outcome than "whipped out a solution cause they studied it on the bus ride to the interview"

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

What the gently caress

lmao yeah and they started the interview by saying "so I'm sure you remember this encoding strategy from college, ..."

like my dude I went to a b-tier state school equivalent in canada, somehow I think we had different university experiences

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

so on the topic of "what would make a programming interview worthwhile", I had an onsite yesterday that was pretty interesting and different. I had to bring my own laptop in with a certain set of dependencies preinstalled, and there were questions where they'd give me a repo with a bug in it and had me track it down.

This seems way more in line with day-to-day software work, and I'd have been on board with this except that what language I'd like to use and, because it's easy to whiteboard, I say "oh I usually interview in python", so I had to figure out how to use a python debugger right on the spot in front of the interviewer :(

Still, though, seems less artificial and would be cool if that became the default.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

raminasi posted:

the big downside there is that you're requiring each candidate to have a laptop and time to janitor it to prepare for the interview

which, like, tradeoffs. everything has tradeoffs. so many of them seem to suck.
true but setup was literally "create a virtualenv, check this repo out, and pip install the repo's dependencies", so it wasn't that onerous in practice

(the bigger problem was that my "ancient" mac doesn't have modern video-out so I couldn't connect it to the conference room's monitor, so I needed an extra 30 seconds to dial into a zoom meeting, but even if I couldn't have done that they would have provided me a laptop anyway :shrug: )

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

I've always wanted to believe that binexp interviews would be super rad, glad to hear that's actually the case :shobon:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

mekkanare posted:

I wasn't sure if there was a thread to put it in mainly, but here's what I have: https://i.imgur.com/mgMFCJn.png

I'm not really sure what kind of computer touching I want to do so I just kind of apply to whatever sounds interesting. Also
A suggestion I'd make is that you have enough room on your resume to describe a bit more about what you did at $STATEJOB in terms of tech. As a hiring manager, I want to know both how you made things better at the company but also how you did it. Usually people have the opposite problem, where they give me word salad of hip tech buzzwords that makes me wonder if they were just navel-gazing in Haskell or whatever, but here I think you have the opportunity to say something like "eliminated the need to send documents by mail by building X and Y and extending Z to support Q" or whatever.

But yeah in general I agree, no red flags

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

qhat posted:

Until your RSUs are fully vested you basically have nothing.
As someone who once held a lot of $TWTR stock and watched in horror as the value tanked:

count no figgies stacked until you've actually sold your stock

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Does anyone have good questions or advice for intuition-building around comparing offers from startups vs more established companies?

In past interview cycles I've only interviewed either exclusively at small places or exclusively at big places. Obviously if you're going to a public company then you have a rough idea of how high your figgies will stack just by checking the stock price and praying for not too much variability. And, I guess given my past experience I'm content with going to small places, taking whatever offer they throw at me, and hope for mega stock splits down the road or something. This time, though, I kind of have to do an apples-to-apples comparison against:

- X (~1500 employees, series E, 785M raised, ~20B valuation)
- Y (~80 employees, series C, 70M raised, ??? valuation)
- Z (~80 employees, series C, 170M raised ~1.1B valuation)

The problem here is that this set's spread is pretty wide here so I don't know how to tackle comparing these just from a "how much cheddar is going to come out the other end" perspective.

What sorts of things would you ask here? Is it simple enough to ask about "valuation multiplied by percentage of ownership", or is that an easily-massagable metric?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Value company at 1 p/e. Sucks if you dont have earnings data

Is earnings data something that one can reasonably ask to see?

p/e makes sense (though I guess this biases towards the more established company that is less dependent on VC funding...which is maybe the sensible point after all); at that point I presumably can equate two companies by this over the number of shares (e.g. twice as many shares at a places with half the p/e balances out)?

edit: also ty for the response :shobon:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

idk the last 5 on crunchbase seem legit, redis & databricks?

ive worked for startups but nothing close to those options

right, like SOMA startup darling slack dot com is up to a series h, so for better or worse an E isn't super out of the question these days

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Chill Callahan posted:

ask them what their liquidation preferences look like

ty, I had thought this only mattered with preferred stock (which as nbsd points out I'm not getting), so I'll explore this

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

My first-choice company just bounced me...after checking my references :confused: :(

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Three, per their request (one former manager and two peers)

I asked the manager reference if they had any idea of what went awry, since backchannel from the peers seemed to be that the company were positive on me, and I was told "I wasn't super prepared for that reference check" which is :confused: :confused:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Tetramin posted:

lol how does that happen? what kind of person agrees to be a reference then trash talks you

maybe they were on the fence and deliberating while checking references, so it wasn't actually related?

IDK IT IS EXTREMELY WEIRD and I'm grouchy because I liked this company :(

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

qhat posted:

Unless of course the referencer threw a bunch of curve balls that the reference found difficult to answer, so I guess it might not even be their fault.
Yeah this is the thing that I'm thinking maybe happened :(

OH WELL

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

This is worth a call to your reference

yeah so when I did they were all "yeah so I wasn't really prepared for the call, they asked about your projects and I didn't have much to say" which is messed up but they had two other people to talk to (they called at least one of the other two, who said the talk went well), so I don't know

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

thanks pals :shobon:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Pulcinella posted:

Uhg I’m being ghosted.
I feel you, OP, I've been waiting for almost a month for a company to get back to me after my onsite, and even after pinging the recruiters (who never responded) I haven't heard anything :sigh:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

yotj update: turns out finding a remote gig after leaving two jobs in as many years is tougher than just walking into the open-office and saying "hire me, binch" :smith:

Talking to a place founded by some German microkernel folks who are working on theorem-proved hypervisors tho, so fingers crossed I get to dereference a pointer again soon

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

thread title: Can-We-Buy-Figgies.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

granted 2019 feels like 20 years ago but not sure the 737 max debacle counts as a deep cut, OP

I will not make the "unless the 'deep cut' means the hole it scraped into the ground on impact" joke