Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

id move education to the very bottom or above activities, but otherwise that's a good resume. and that's a very minor thing obv

I'd also either pad skills out more, or move it below experience. "Here are a handful of things I do well" isn't a strong start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i get the feeling this is becoming the norm in the post-covid world. pre-covid, all the "phone" bits of the interview process were really brief. phone screen was short, reference checks were a short call at most with almost all "intensity" contained within a day of interviewing. now it feels like a 30-60 minute zoom call is the norm for all stages of the interview process, from "phone screen" through reference checks.

the bare minimum these days seems like 30 minute screener, a couple 30 minute minute interviews with team and leadership, then 30 minutes ref check zoom mixed with a couple ref check emails

the top end that i've experienced lately was a 30 minute tech screen, 4x1hr 1:1 zoom with part of the team one day, another set of 4x1hr 1:1 zoom with another part of the team another day, 60 minutes with the team lead, then 30 minutes with the team lead's boss and finally 15 minute calls to each of the five references they asked for. this one actually used phone calls for the ref checks, but zoom for everything else.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i am a moron posted:

alright maybe I have no idea what I’m talking about but I’ve gone deep enough to get offers the past year and haven’t even provided references once, is this a startup thing or something?

the short example came from a gig at a university that i made it to offer/acceptance with, the long example was a privately held computational biology firm that i withdrew from post-references and pre-offer because i didn't want to relocate for it.

job prior to that was a federal lab that checked refs with a short call. i did a handful of startups prior to the federal lab, maybe 25% did a reference check, but I'd also previously worked with or for the hiring manager on about 50% of them, so I'd expect a rate closer to 50% in startups if you're going in without already knowing someone.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

supabump posted:

I'm wondering the same as this is my first interview with a startup. This company so far has been making me do some kind of ~30min discussion with someone at regular intervals for weeks. I get anxious about this kind of thing pretty easily, so it just sucks waiting for a response that doesn't end with "to discuss next steps."

yeah, weeks of 30 minute calls are basically the norm now. all the pain gets spread across weeks, instead of bundled up in a single day

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

supabump posted:

My recent obnoxious interview loop produced a great offer including a title bump, and I might owe some of that success to time spent lurking in this thread. thanks :unsmith:

huzzah.

but the real question is: were your references checked?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

It's dumb as hell that the file watcher doesn't respect .gitignore files though. "Why yes, I want to chew through all of my kernel inotifies so that Vscode can tell me about the 500000 files that changed in my 60gb build directory"

more than once i've wanted a general .ignore file to be honored by all the things, from git to spotlight to tracker to whatever.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Share Bear posted:

ask more questions like "what kind of non computer hobbies do you have"

this seems like really dangerous territory, and definitely wouldn't fly anywhere with a rubric

danger example: that question can be used to suss out if a prospective employee has a family without directly asking.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, my understanding is that the danger isn't so much in the question itself, but with information that question is likely to uncover and how you respond to it.

for instance, would you treat these two responses differently:

a) i don't really have time for hobbies outside of work.
b) my kids are my number one priority, so between them and work there isn't much time left for my own hobbies. i guess you could say being the family chauffeur is my hobby!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

personally the question is generally a win for me in interviews -- i talk about working/hacking on pinball machines and use that to tie back into troubleshooting/engineering. that said, i have plenty of friends and family who have completely dropped all hobbies beyond what their kids do, and occasionally poo poo posting on the internet.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

lol that ppl can't imagine _not_ rejecting applicants based on their hobbies

if you aren't using it as a filter, why use it at all? there are plenty of work related questions you can ask that provide an indicator of whether the person is capable of conversation, so why ask a question that puts them in the position of potentially having to disclose information you don't want to know as a means of not sounding like a total loser?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sleng Teng posted:

this is one of those moments where I wonder if I'm just dumb because I just answer the hobby question honestly and I don't think I've ever worried or thought about it all that much

i feel like there are two conversations going on.

as an interviewee, there is basically no downside to answering the question honestly

as an interviewer, there are pitfalls around the question that quickly reveal protected information, so the question should be avoided

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i already wrote the signal received and part of a rubric entry for it above

yes, and I just said there are safer questions that provide the same signal.

why insist on asking a question that's going to have dangerous responses from almost anyone who has a family? the moment they say they don't have hobbies because they spend all their time with their kids, you've opened yourself up to liability. if you stick to work related topics, you can steer the conversation away from that poo poo.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

to see how you have a conversation in a non-work context.

but why is a non-work context relevant for work, like at all?

aside from glaring liabilities ("i use meth on the weekend then rob banks"), why are you the least bit concerned about any non-work aspect of the interviewee?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Not all jobs are human machinery and many of them in fact require social interaction unrelated to the literal job itself

can you provide an example of a situation where a computer toucher like those found round these parts would, as part of their job, be required to socially interact with others in a non-work context?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

have you ever made small talk with a customer before

that is literally a work context

i bet you think the barista thinks youre cute too

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

conferences and onsite sales with toucher tagging along

these are all work contexts? interacting with people does not suddenly make it a non-work situation.

computer touchers tagalongs do not talk about their hobbies at sales meetings
sales people do not talk about their hobbies unless they think doing so is going to make a sale

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

no, just someone who recognizes there are topics appropriate for work and topics appropriate outside of work, and consider hobbies the latter. there are plenty of topics to make small talk about at work without pushing for a culture where people are encouraged to share more about their personal lives than they are comfortable with, and are pushing them to share information that introduces liability in your hiring process (no, the attempt at a rubric above isn't going to save you).

if you wanna bro out at work, by all means bro out. i like getting in, doing my job, and getting the gently caress out.

killing time in a meeting? i'm happy to talk about the weather, industry news, non-controversial national or public news, hell, i'll even listen to you ramble about your hobbies, just don't expect much visibility into mine.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jabor posted:

considering your hobby appears to be "giving confidently wrong legal advice despite having no actual knowledge of the law" i'm not surprised you don't want to talk about it in an interview

busted

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Can y'all imagine being a 1+ year experienced PhD computer toucher making $100K in the USA. Especially in an "expensive" place to live? Sure the USA has gun violence and racism and racist gun violence but fuckin hell thats shite pay.

If I had a toucher PhD and no friend or family I'd get a $150K US job, move to Talladega, be lord of the hambeasts.

lol.

checking in at $104k as a 20-years-of-experience computer toucher in one of the most expensive cities in the us. in the past i've made multiples of that, but gently caress all that stress

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i worked for what i thought was a really nice company once, then when i called them out for doing something unsavory they shoved me out the door with hush money

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

that sounds extremely nice

it was a mixed bag.

mentally it messed me up a bit I'm a very untrusting person who developed a massive amount of trust in my boss (who made the call to get rid of me), and even more so in her boss (who I previously reported to).

i got a few months salary out of it but haven't been able to bring myself to work for VC since.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

had a recent chat with my current boss and they brought up an interview answer i gave to a dei question along the lines of what you would do to improve dei if you were in a leadership position, and how impressed they were with it.

i can't help but laugh because my response was that i'd step down from the position -- mostly because i didn't have a real answer and i'd just watched the end of the expanse and wanted to see if i could james holden my way through the situation.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

a few years ago i had to rush out an application-time filter for an employer. i can't remember why, but i was annoyed at having to do it, so i made it something like "fetch a token from the web service described in the following srv record: ..."

the "token" was just nginx spitting out something snarky like '{"token": "youfoundthetoken"}'.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

senior engineer level bash there

inadvertent curl option fingerprinter

e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca495991b7852b855

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i was an aws wizard a year and a half ago. now i don't know what half the products available do.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

y'all acting like us and european companies aren't wielding the same hardon

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

I applied with several different departments when joining my current employer, and one department had required fields for *references and reference contact info*. I filled it out with a note saying this was an inappropriate point in the process for me to pass out the contact info for my references, but would be more than happy to do so at a more appropriate point in the interview process. Got rejected with them explicitly calling out that I filled out the application question incorrectly.

When I landed a gig with a different department I casually mentioned it to my department's hr group during onboarding and they were absolutely horrified and apparently raised hell with central hr, who eventually came down on the offending department hr.

The long and short of it is that even a decent organization can end up with hosed up "required" questions, due to a single shithead being involved somewhere in the hiring process. It doesn't necessarily speak poorly of the org, especially if they respond appropriately once they learn of the situation.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

had three 45-60 minute "chats" this week with an old colleague and his co-founders about joining their startup. still unsure if this is actually the interview process or not, because everyone has basically been just selling me the company without asking much

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

he started off with "well, his name was vineet, so you know what his skin color was"

goddamn

how do people with such a lack of self awareness even survive

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

in a well actually posted:

you still have the nhs for another few months until liz sells it off to a large U.S. healthcare company for five gallons of heating oil

Figuring out healthcare as a 1099 in the us is the most important part.

Taxes are a close second.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

raminasi posted:

it almost definitely is. your old colleague told his co-founders that he knew he wanted you based on prior work experiences, they said ok, and now they just have to convince you to take the job. congrats on getting to this stage of your career.

seems this is the case. thanks.

now to figure out what early stage startup comp looks like in 2022 before my offer call in 22 minutes, i guess.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

seems this is the case. thanks.

now to figure out what early stage startup comp looks like in 2022 before my offer call in 22 minutes, i guess.

welp, pretty sure i left a lot on the table

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Not a Children posted:

this is why it’s important (if you’re not a lifer, which nobody really is anymore) to regularly get interviews, secure offers and negotiate even if you have no intention of taking jobs

the people hiring have a hell of a lot more practice than you do otherwise

the most important thing in a negotiation is to know when you’ve won though. if you got a good raise and will be working with a good team, it’s gravy
i do interview regularly, and have a really solid idea of what i can pull in from a few different segments, but generally speaking those are either research institutions or companies at series b or later.

the tricky bit here was specifically the stage of the company. depending on when things are signed, it sounds like i'm one of the first ~3 full time employees (outside founders) at a two month old company. also complicating this is that my current gig is a below market gig where the workload is basically nonexistent, but i get to feel like i'm contributing to society.

i ended up asking for a salary that sat about halfway between my current "altruistic" salary and what i'd expect at series b, and for a bit more stock. actual salary i feel fine with and am confident i'll see a solid raise after the next funding round, but equity is really where i feel like i could have gotten more.

outhole surfer fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 10, 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

4lokos basilisk posted:

which means that i need to gently nudge nudge my superiors towards this realization and also the fact that i should get a cool raise

two nudges max. personal experience.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jabor posted:

did they take away your bonus or something?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i've successfully "shat on" a previous company by using the hiring company's desires more than once. when asked why i left a previous position, i usually give something along the lines of "i need an organization that implements %s in order to sleep well at night. While %s wasn't a priority at %s, I'm excited to see it is at %s."

you're mostly still communicating why you think you're a good fit for the new company, even if you're slightly making GBS threads on the old company

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

lord fifth posted:

got an offer :cool: i credit yospos as a whole and this thread

goondolences

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

running out of money isn't your biggest worry with uber

i hope you're getting paid for the reputation hit you're taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just don't let your follow up job be meta, spacex, tesla, or defense and you're probably fine. there will definitely be people who arbitrarily pass on you over seeing uber, but that's true of absolutely any company with any level of brand recognition