Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
I work for an ~50 employee company that's basically a leader in it's niche field. said company incubated a startup that had some cool tech. I worked with said startup for two years doing all kinds of nifty poo poo and loving it.

recently my time working with the startup came to an end. I decided to gamble:

me: how would you like it if I joined your company?
startup CEO: gently caress yeah let's talk!
my company: ACTIVATE NO POACHING CONTRACT CLAUSE
startup CEO: sorry man :(

on the plus side my company is basically begging me to stay and go into management. on the other hand I feel like I'm missing out.

how pissed should I be, or is this a grass is greener thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
good points. my company had all managers go through coaching last year and I saw the impact it had on my manager (I went from looking for a new job because of him to sticking around). they basically said that coaching would be available in future years along with mentoring in the meantime.

management vs contributor is something I'm working on, leaning towards management. just was thinking about how I would give it up to go with the other company but I should probably let that go as it does me no good to think about a job that doesn't exist.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Jimmy Carter posted:

non-competes should be illegal because gently caress someone owning your brain

agreed. even my manager admitted I probably could force the issue if I wanted (he's liberal but with a libertarian bent) but on the other hand the startup is still heavily dependent on my current company so instigating that kind of bad blood between them isn't good for either one.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Pollyanna posted:

i dont like startups and im not sure if thats me being immature and having no idea what it means to be an engineer, or if its me just not jiving with the work-50-hours-a-week-for-peanuts-and-no-stability culture

this was the other aspect. the startup may not be around in three to five years as it's still in the somewhat early stages (it has customers but it's burning money to expand). my current company will almost definitely be around for that long and more.

considering I've always looked down on startups in the past it's strange how I approach this one. guess I feel a sense of responsibility towards them and really want to see them succeed after the work I put in.

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 18, 2018

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
I thought that was the american dream I'm so confused now

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Progressive JPEG posted:

if you asked them first it isnt poaching

if the problem is a noncompete then lol get out of your lovely state and move to CA

i am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice

bad wording on my part then. basically it's a clause saying that the startup can't hire any of my company's employees.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
stories like this make me glad that my company has a decent project management structure where my boss basically says, "we have X hours for dev during this sprint" and the PMs can fight over who gets what. PM has a pet project they want to advance? okay, we can do that, what projects do you want to deprioritize to make that happen? takes the pressure off of devs to work overtime.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
I'm using react and redux without typescript.

on one hand react and redux are amazing and make some previously hard problems much easier.

on the other hand I'm having to use the debugger a fuckton more because my group makes all kinds of objects containing all kinds of data and the only way I know what's inside them is by actually looking at an object.

we generally don't have many issues with developers doing stupid things like assigning two different types to the same variable but I definitely feel like it's harder to reason about some complex objects since they're not defined anywhere.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
I wrote earlier about using JavaScript without typescript and how it was doable with some minor difficulties.

after spending the past week trying to understand a bad contractor's code I'm now convinced that doing a large scale JavaScript project without any typing is doable only if you're the only programmer and you are as strict as gently caress with your variables and properties. any sense of fun and creativity is lost as I'm just struggling to figure out what this guy was doing and it's made all the more difficult by the fact that I have no clue what's in any given variable without a debugger, and even that fails because sometimes one object can have two sets of properties depending on the application state. it's drained any desire I had to work with this codebase.

even worse my boss has said many times that he doesn't miss types and loves the new codebase.

time to start hunting in earnest I guess.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
shaggar I may take you up on that as there's a decent number of C# shops around here that I wouldn't mind getting into. finding time to try out C# when I have two younglings may be difficult though.

that said a former coworker of mine who jumped ship recently said that her new job uses angular >2 and typescript and finds it to be much nicer than react/redux and... uhhh... let and const. anyone else confirm/deny the angular part?

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
serious post thanks everyone for discussion on the generalist stuff. I've worked only in small companies and know a decent amount about a crapton of stuff as a result and thought about marketing myself as a jack of all trades. probably will hold off on that for now and just customize the crap out of my resume for every application.

on the other hand I like being a generalist and doing everything but it's impossible to find jobs that require that skillset and choosing what "specialty" to apply for is hard.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
just finished 3 hours of phone interviews for junior candidates. I'm done talking for today. on the plus side all seemed pretty smart and I'll probably bring all three in for an on-site.

on the subject of callbacks, I asked my boss what he says to candidates that don't make it.

"I tell them we'll get back to them and then usually don't get back to them"

not about to let that slide after reading this thread.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
at my old job I did interviews and gave a coding challenge that was "make a SQL query and create a CSV list of the results." mostly because I was winging it and had little help. it did catch one guy who appended an extra comma. of course we hired him anyway because he was the only guy who responded to our Craiglist ad that didn't need visa sponsorship (didn't have money to spend on a real posting) and sure enough his code was horrible and he spent a lot of time converting four space indentation files to three space indentation manually. I guess that's one time a coding interview could have helped

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

TerminalRaptor posted:

what's the yospos position on product owner roles? I may have an opportunity to move out of my current dev management role into one, but it seems like a major career shift to me, especially since my other option, if I stay, is to go into a senior dev role. it honestly seems very appealing to me, but also weird that I'd move further away from dev.

definitely very different. our PMs do a lot more contact with customers, usually in the form of sales, training, support, and testing possible features. definitely more traveling than devs too. it's less hands on development and more planning and support. if that's your thing then by all means go for it.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Bloody posted:

how do i interview people

take some time to come up with a list of skills/characteristics you're looking for, everything from hard skills like languages and frameworks to soft skills like customer interaction. after writing the list, come up with questions that can determine how well a candidate knows that skill. also include time to talk about your company, the position, and to let the candidate talk about him/herself (themself?) and their history.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
so my group finished interviewing and selected a candidate. I asked my boss if I could write back the interviewees we didn't pick and give feedback.

"That takes time. Prioritize."

sorry people we interviewed. I tried. :(

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
Citadel must be throwing around money like candy because I'm seeing recruiters hit me up as well for a different office

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
just talked with a recruiter that's offering a Java development job. mostly work from home with occasional office visits near my train station downtown. not a startup. tempted....

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
company does whiteboarding with generic programming problems:
"bad company, you shouldn't do toy problems"

company does whiteboarding with domain-specific problems:
"bad company, you're doing work for free"

company doesn't do whiteboarding:
"bad company, poor hiring practices"

summary:
all companies bad
the world is a gently caress

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
I realized last night that, despite the fact that I love the people I work with at my current job and I love what I'm working on for now, I don't want to stick around for next year when I'll be back in the javascript code mines and under a micromanaging boss. it sucks because I know me leaving is going to make a lot of people I like really sad but god drat I hate the way we write javascript.

got two phone interviews lined up for next Tuesday though. I'm having to beat LinkedIn recruiters off with a stick.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
I know that being all dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed is hip but I have some good friends at this job whom I will miss talking to after I leave.

that said your point is valid and good friendships only count if they balance out the bullshit, which unfortunately they don't in this case

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

uncurable mlady posted:

interesting strategy, pls report back

pimp out my hand, or program in javascript... tough call.

uncurable mlady posted:

for real good luck tho

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
had my first phone interview in 5 years. bombed it badly. probably should have expected that.

oh well, on with the next.

Family Photo posted:

what excuses have you used to take time off for in-person interviews?

do you have to give a reason for PTO? my current job doesn't require a reason. in past jobs I just said "personal" or "getting stuff done around the house" something similar.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
my company just opened up a position for head of IT infrastructure. it would be the perfect way to get out of the javascript code mines and out from underneath my current "meh" boss and move to working on cool tech under a kick rear end boss. I already reached out to the guy asking if he'd consider me for the position. I haven't heard back though and now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if they don't want me in that job and that's why they opened it up publicly and oh man maybe I don't have the experience they want I'm a terrible failure aaaaaaag :ohdear:

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
and it turns out the awesome job at my current company that I thought I could apply for ended with HR sending me an email that can be summarized as "don't bother."

welp, back to looking at other companies!

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
based on multiple accounts, yes. I don't feel it was malicious, more of "we already got a lot of good candidates and you already have a strike against you being at a different office so v:geno:v".

exact phrase was "set your expectations properly" which is pretty good business-speak.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
waiting on an offer letter from a company I've been contracting with on the side from my full time job. when they asked for salary requirements I was soooooo tempted to just request my current salary because I really wanted the job but I thought back to this thread and added $10k to my current salary because gently caress it why not. person doing the hiring says that I will be happy with what comes back so I'm betting I'll get it.

do always upsell, do always negotiate

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
am I being dumb trying to find companies that look like they're trying to make the world a better place? I joined a medical software company in the hope of helping people and now it looks like the owners look at medical issues as a means to a buyout from a larger company and are misogynists that fire women who tell them they're doing things wrong then tell the (remaining) employees on how the company values include "ruthless honesty". on the other end I was part of a company whose software was basically fintech but the people were awesome and the problems were interesting. I'm looking for a new job but about the only thing that potentially meets my idealistic criteria would be research institutions funded by federal money and lol at job security there.

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 12, 2020

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
need an opinion from the jaded folks in YOSPOS.

my company recently presented its return-to-office policy. they're requiring two days a week attendance. this has gone over like a lead balloon tied to tungsten bricks on a planet with a hydrogen atmosphere. very few are happy. our engineering team is in revolt and half are probably on Linkedin already. I know some people that will have to find another job just due to anxiety and distractions brought on by the open office floor plan. the company's response to all this is to yell at anyone talking about it and to delete any slack convos that are remotely related.

thing is, none of this applies to me. I negotiated 100% remote when I signed on. the only effects it has on me is seeing good people leave, feeling guilty when my coworkers have to commute while by boss says "this doesn't apply to Pendragon," and just being angry at how the company is handling it.

is it worth getting pissed over? the company otherwise is doing well and is in a growing industry, and they're supporting my movement into more security-oriented positions. do I suck it up and swallow my guilt/outrage since it doesn't apply to me, or do I start looking more seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
speaking of covid my company just had a "everyone come to the office for a week so we can talk about stuff" and it became a super spreader event with entire teams coming down with covid :lol:

edit:

4lokos basilisk posted:

i am in a similar situation and i hate the effect it has created - now there is a class society of valuable employees who either got approved for full remote or just get to dgaf about the rules without consequence

and then there are the lower class who are stuck in the office spreading covid and - most importantly - never benefitting from the 1on1 facetime contact with more experienced people that everyone in c level keeps talking about how important it is

thank you for putting into words how I was feeling. going to bring this up today when I have a talk with a higher-up about the policy.

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 28, 2022