Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also the small chance of an equity payout bonanza if the startup is a big hit goes to zero if your "startup" is embedded in a large corporation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ADINSX posted:

I don't know much about the android team
there is only one thing you need to know about the android team

it is this:

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
those who can, do

those who cant, recruit

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so why are the candidates always terrible?

the worst, un-hireable candidates are on the market the longest, and they apply to the most jobs. a good candidate might take ten interviews ever, in his or her entire career. a bad candidate might take over a hundred interviews in a single job search.

it's not that 99% of people are awful -- it's that the people who happen to be applying to your open position are more likely to be awful than the general population
joel spolsky talks a lot of nonsense but he was right on this - the people you most want to hire, the real 10x jedi ninja rockstar coders, never appear on the job market. they are busy fielding offers from friends and contacts and headhunters to go work for them, they dont have to put their resume out on the street and pound the pavement.

the fact that someone uploaded their resume to your companys jobs.careers page and clicked through all the nonsense already means theyre not tier-one material

also, bad candidates are on the market more often than good candidates (because theyre not very good workers and they get fired/laid off/encourage to find another gig more often) which means that the pool of active job seekers that a hiring company is drawing from is heavily tilted towards clunkers and mediocrities

of course, all this applies in the reverse too. really good companies dont have lots of open reqs and turnover. the counterpoint to "if youre such a good worker, why are you unemployed/unhappy with your current job" is "if your company is such a great place to work, why is this position even open for applications"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dongslayer. posted:

do you tell them why at this point
agree to the interview, spend four months rescheduling it, then block the phone number and email address

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HoboMan posted:

what questions should i ask on a phone screen vs a full interview?
1. are you a cop?
2. seriously, you have to tell me if youre a cop. its the law

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jony neuemonic posted:

barf. tell me more about how wanting to get paid is shameful, employers.
see also: that infamous rogue brewing job listing

ive come around to appreciating when employers tell me up front theyre going to shaft me on compensation and smile while they do it. makes it easy to cut the conversation short and move on to the next prospect

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

happens to the best of us
and also tori

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Leck posted:

getting flown out for an interview in a few weeks. good sign for them wanting me, hopefully i don’t see any red flags and they offer enough figgies.
once your on site, be sure to follow toris patented three-step plan thats guaranteed to land you that job

1. SUCK
2. THEM
3. OFF

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

good heavens, an entire terabyte you say?
thats a lot of anime

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the fact that youre being called for interviews means you are qualified for these jobs. they threw away a hundred junk resumes to bring you and a couple of other people in. it doesnt seem like it but youre close. if you werent you wouldnt hear back from anyone at all, just sending out resumes and hearing nothing back, shouting into the void (been there, done that)

you just havent clicked with an interviewer yet (which, as this thread has amply demonstrated, is largely a matter of pure chance and utter bullshit). keep plugging away, maybe work on your interviewing skills. but dont give up or even slacken your search

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dragon enthusiast posted:

even though the onsite seemed to go really well its still really nerve wracking waiting for the phone call
burn off that nervous energy by hitting some job boards and sending out more resumes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

I mean this is a fine activity even when you are not waiting for an interview result
my theory of jobhunting is that you should keep sending out resumes and going on interviews right up until the moment your new job hands you your access badge

ive known multiple people whove have a job offer implode at the last moment and theyre back at square one of the job hunt because they shut down all their mid-process leads because they thought theyd landed their job and were done with it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FamDav posted:

but people who use kafka are frequently p bad
this is also true of people who dont use kafka

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fiedler posted:

Just how bad is this bullshit? Like, so intolerably bad that it's literally making you suicidal?
he said "current job" not "youre posting"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Space Whale posted:

So, how do I appropriately rescind from for profit and say don't call me back ever?
call them up, say you have a few more questions about benefits, ask if the medical plan covers bofa

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Space Whale posted:

WTF is BOFA?
bofa DEEEEZ NUTTTTZ

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cheque_some posted:

are these in dollars or "dollars"
amazon gift cards

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

glassdoor is full of complainers thinking about leaving their job, so it skews low
ive thought about creating a glassdoor review bingo card with squares like: "management is clueless", "some good people here", "hard work goes unrewarded", "management should listen more", "need to offer better benefits", "feel unappreciated", and "they should promote more from within"

theyre really amazingly consistent across all companies and job types

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shaman Linavi posted:

also what is there to do in palo alto besides sit in my hotel room and look at cat photos
stanford has a rodin collection and a frank lloyd wright house to tour

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

IMO a lot of times I thought I nailed an interview I actually got rejected, probably because the interviewers just started taking it easy when they realise I wasn't a good fit.
yeah when your interview suddenly switches into easy mode, that means you blew it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Space Whale posted:

I just went from imposter syndrome to c level is excited about me

Wtf
step 1: fake it til you make it
step 2: make it

youve arrived at step 2. congrats

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Valeyard posted:

a 45% raise :toot:
:woop:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
most companys hr departments and processes are a complete shitshow. theres no figuring them, no reading the tea leaves. i see at least three possibilities for what happened.

1 they have another candidate theyre higher on than you and are stringing you along until he either accepts or rejects them
2 some key stakeholder went on vacation or is otherwise incommunicado and they cant move forward without him
3 theyre just that big of a disorganized mess inside

dont try to figure it out. just keep applying and interviewing right up until the moment they hand you your access badge

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cheque_some posted:

I've seen a place make you pick a salary range from a dropdown and not let you proceed without it. What do you do in that case?
strongly reconsider if this is a place you really want to work at, considering that theyre transparently trying to cheap-chisel you before you even fill out your employment application. what do you think their policies are going to be like when it comes time for promotion, or raises, or bonuses, or paying for continuing education?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bloody posted:

lol if you think they're not just astroturfing
my companys breakrooms have posters in them straight-up asking people to go to glassdoor and post about what a fun exciting wonderful place this is to work

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

just skim them and see what they actually say

most reviews should have the tone “eh it’s ok I guess :shrug:
80% of them are "its ok, benefits could be better, management doesnt listen or communicate well but you work with some good people, they should have a better work/life balance and promote more from within"

the ones that are disgruntled axegrinding are funny as hell

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

still better than ordering hr drones to make poo poo up
oh im sure they do that too

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

It's because contract-to-hire is never ever time-limited on the company side (and this is done at no expense to the company), 60 becomes 90 becomes "next quarter" becomes "next FY". You can't expect worker trust when a large segment of the industry's entire business model revolves around denying workers any stability or leverage in the employment relationship.
yeah in my experience "contract to hire" jobs often never quite get around to the "to hire" part. worse, its hard as an employee to know if a CtH position is an actually a gateway to a full time offer, or if they were planning to string you along the whole time, until you actually work at the job for a few months and figure out the lay of the land

my advice is to take the CtH position if it appeals to you (you need a job right now and cant be too choosy, its an opportunity at a company/field you really want to work for/in, youre changing career paths, etc) but to put a strict limit on conversion to full time - if after 60 days (or whatever) theyre still hemming and deflecting about bringing you on full time, restart your job hunt

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"hr" has such toxic associations that companies are forever looking to rename it

my current employer has a chief people officer

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

chmods please posted:

now i need to figure out which headphones are good, lol
one of those special gamer ones with the shifting varicolor leds

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AWWNAW posted:

my latest company was really thorough checking references. they even checked one I didn’t give them
your parole officer?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

raminasi posted:

good luck! remember that rejections aren’t necessarily your fault, even if you get a bunch in a row!
also: dont stop searching until your new job hands you your security badge (firm offers can sometimes evaporate at the last minute)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
boston struck me as a great city to be college-aged in, and less and less desirable the further you move from that age 18-22 demographic

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

oh god yeah london is loving dire

"yeaahhhh so we basically expect you to live in a closet or spend four hours a day commuting, and you're going to take it and you're going to loving like it because there is literally no work anywhere else in the country"
just think of the prosperity everyone will be enjoying when you finally brexit all those job-stealing poles out of your country next year!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yeah. there is literally no figuring what happens in a company after an interview. just keep applying and interviewing and tweaking your resume

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ADINSX posted:

My greatest accomplishment? Probably the smiles I get when I delight users with bespoke algorithms that address their every issue without them even knowing.
interviewer: *leaning forward* tell me more

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

If they didn't give you feedback then it can be literally anything.
:agreed:

ive said this before, but there is literally no figuring interviews. none. organizations make decisions based off of completely opaque criteria that will never reveal themselves to you. dont beat yourself up, just move on to the next job lead, and the next one, and the next one, until you land a suitable gig

jesus WEP posted:

they probably just had a person lined up for the job and have spent less than 0.01% of the time you have thinking about your answer to that question
this absolutely happens. the company knows who it wants to hire but they are required to go through the motions of conducting an open job hunt so its a waste of everyones time and energy, especially the poor candidate's. seems to be most prevalent in government agencies and school districts, where they are required by law to post all job openings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Arcsech posted:

or somebody forgot they were supposed to follow up with you

or they ran into financial problems and aren't hiring anyone

try elsewhere, sure. but honestly probably not your fault

e: you could always send a follow-up email, I have literally had the "forgot to follow up" thing
its really impossible to describe just how shambolic the hiring process is at most companies

another common cause of radio silence is that the hiring decision requires signoff of multiple stakeholders, and at least one of them is traveling/in a death march/on vacation at any time so the decision gets mooted

the req for the position being withdrawn or suspended is another one

yeah, follow up. what have you got to lose?