Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
allowed? im surprised its not required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the only times my grades ever mattered was when applying to internships the big accounting firms wouldnt look at you if you had under like a 3.5 gpa, and then the federal government will start you at a higher grade level if you have a 'superior academic achievement' which is above a 3.0

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

"go to stanford or drop out"

galaxy brain: go to stanford AND drop out

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i worked full time in college. it was garbage, and i hated school.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
in my experience its more that you can study for 15 hours a week and get B's or study for 40 hours a week and get A's. There are diminishing returns after a point when it comes to the time investment required. This has an impact when it comes to students who have other obligations than studying full time. I'm not saying its better or worse from a standpoint of who will have a better career but there is a tradeoff to be made and the financial status of the student and family definitely impacts how those decisions are made.

This isn't to discount motivation and work ethic...I knew kids that had $500 per week spending allowances (on top of all their expenses paid) who were awful students, and people who worked full time or close to it and excelled. But if you were to ask me today whether I'd have quit my job and taken out $20,000 in loans to go from a 3.15 to a 3.65 or whatever I'd say no loving way

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

questions to ask your interviewer
- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role

translation : are you working with a well-defined team that puts out consistent work or is this place a clusterfuck with people coming and going on a weekly basis because management is incompetent

- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions

translation: are the people making decisions that impact your work accountable to you / your team and do you have the ability to influence them or are they dictated from on high or even worse forced upon you by a hostile entity

- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?

translation: if they say 'uhhhhhhhhhh' here it's a red flag. if they throw gibberish at you it's not a red flag but it's not a good look either. this should get a human bean answer

- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?

translation: same as the last one.

- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here

translation: they should also be able to answer this without thinking. if they hesitate or bullshit you it's a red flag

- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently

translation: what qualities are people here impressed with. what caliber of candidates are you also considering.

- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?

translation: every job has some bullshit aspect to it. this is their chance to lay it on softly and your chance to decide if it's a particular brand of bullshit you can put up with

- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met

translation: are you going to work me like a slave when we don't hit the deadline we never agreed to

- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

translation: without fail lovely interviewers for lovely companies will try to deflect this one. if they try to say 'oh no don't worry about that' or respond with their actual pto policy just reiterate that they didn't answer your question. when was the last time YOU took pto

i saved them with some minor revisions bc even though im not a cj they are good overall questions

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
*bursts into thread sweating and shaking from excitement* did someone say trains

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Penisface posted:

I get the feeling that you believe public housing is either lovely and dense apartment buildings where no one would live willingly, or nice apartments that cost way too much to build and the people who would live there probably has the means to buy one on the private market. I think it does not have to be that way as there is a spectrum from spartan apartments to luxury condos and the public housing should deal with the lower end mostly, from "free" up to some cutoff point where it becomes pointless to compete with the private market.

I may be biased because I am typing this sitting in a pretty awesome public housing apartment in the middle of Tokyo.

in america and the uk public housing is meant to punish people who live there for being poor. its supposed to be bad so that people wont want to live there

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Why the gently caress not? He didn’t sign an NDA for the drat interview. Glassdoor is full of people doing the same thing, and good for them

its about ethics in tech company interviewing

you know, the same tech companies who colluded to keep salaries low.

wouldn't want to do anything unethical

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

this would be infinitely better than taking your mom

maybe my mom is a sex worker? didn't think of that did you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Boiled Water posted:

i'm currently in the danish IRS and boy did they take their sweet time in making a decision.

im in the american version and it took about 6 months to go from application to start date. this must have been some kind of record because i know people that had to wait 2+ years