Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I have a continuously growing list of questions in a Google doc. Whenever I run into something that's either "That's awesome, how do I make sure I find this again in the future" or "this is absolute garbage I never want to encounter this in a job again", it goes in the list. An obvious one that has saved me some grief is "Can I get a short product demo at some point during the interview process, to have a better understanding of what I'd be working on?" If they show you a janky pos app, makes it very easy to turn down and move on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
go for it!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

kalel posted:

Jira and confluence work fine. are there better alternatives

I was surprised at how well gitlab stories worked the one time I dealt with that several jobs ago. There were a couple of pain points, but it was infinitely better than their garbage jira that took 30 seconds to load any given page

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

kalel posted:

question: what are actual good responses to the question, "what are some of your weaknesses"

because I feel like that question is a trap. you're not supposed to answer truthfully unless it's 1) utterly inconsequential, or 2) easily spun into a strength like "I care too much"

My usual answer is something along the lines of "I have a natural inclination to be stubborn in some situations. However, as I've matured and grown over the years I've gained the ability to notice this tendency in myself, so anytime I run into a situation where I think I already have an answer, I stop, try to listen closely to those around me and take into account all other opinions and form a conclusion as objectively as possible and reach a consensus with my teammates." I go into a bit more detail and maybe come up with an example, but it's a genuine answer. No one is perfect, and I think the best answer focuses on self-awareness of our own inherent flaws/weaknesses (we all have them!), and how we try to work around them. Agreed though that it's an annoying question and I kinda hate it when an interviewer brings it up (which isn't too often), but doesn't hurt to have an answer prepared. Don't give answers like "I'm a perfectionist" or some other BS, just be honest about who you are!