Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

i guess i could keep my consulting business active during that time and do a bit of freelance work, so i actually wouldn't have a gap...

do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

yeah, sorry y'all

it's genuinely astonishing even to me how often i'll just let myself shoot my toe off and not even notice (or even fully rationalize it)

i'll try to take a more shotgun-like approach going forward

(edit) that said thanks for the interesting info Progressive JPEG, glad that ended up working out for you. that part of my original post was partly true, at least, i'd love to visit NZ

We're trying to help you not shoot your foot off op 😙

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

feedmegin posted:

Yeah let me tell you about the time a decade ago I was unemployed from my junior level job going under thanks to corporate bankruptcy and my diabetic wife was living off free samples of insulin from her doctor because we had no insurance.

The entire software industry is not your fancy rear end job in NYC fintech and you should probably acknowledge that.

that would run counter to his gimmick though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

get the caesar, it comes with a free colon cleansing treatment

we can already read his posts tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to consulting

you'll float too!

you'll float too!

y̦o̠̣̙͓̓͋̒̉͐ứ̤̈̽̽ͥ̒̚'̏̇̚ḽ̠͔̭l̫͖̘̪͋̑̔ ̣̲̰̰̩͉̣͊̋f̮̰ͩ͐ͩͤ͑ͥͯl͏o͙͖͖̫͓ͨ͊̃̽̀a̝͓̬̦͖͇̮t̠͎̘̙̠̤̩̑͘ ̸͔̦̰͔͂̓̽̋͑̓t̰̲͇̉͋̔ͧo̵̻ͮô̼̩͖̹̮̣̩͂̊͞!͇̋ͦ

We're all floats down here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

recruiting is garbage status: goon has been trying to apply to my company for the past two weeks right as we’ve been transitioning to a new internal tool. it seems like they’ve completely lost his resume and anyone who’s trying to access the internal tool is now getting a 404

cool!!

laff

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Corla Plankun posted:

god drat i am so hyped for the sequel to Ciaphas where he gets that Good Job and those good Good Bennies

rooting for you so drat hard rn

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Create a second email address and apply to every job with both resume formats

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Got good reactions from The Questions

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

abigserve posted:

Just on that mb/s question I actually think that's a remarkably good one because anyone with any sort of networking experience will immediately notice the distinction between bits/bytes and answer good enough at least while people bluffing their way through will get caught up straight away

yes, it speaks to the point of it that nobody in yospos understood why it was actually a decent question; a decent answer is "assuming line rate, which you wouldn't actually ever get, 8 seconds" and then move on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

so is the critical bit the question between bits and bytes? wouldn’t you get a higher resolution answer by just asking that straight ahead, or you’re instead gunning for the ability of someone to read the question well?

that's how i saw it, vOv

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

all of your questions should be geared towards answering the question:

Does this help inform me that this person will be successful in this role?

Is knowing that 8 bits are in a byte critical to that job? Good question. Otherwise: bad question and a waste time for the both of you.

ok yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CPColin posted:

I feel like a question, trick or not, that can be flat-out gotten wrong can still be a good question if the interviewer uses it as a starting point, as opposed to just checking the "WRONG" box and moving on.

Like, if the candidate says a 100MB file takes only only second to download over a 100Mb connection, the interviewer could say, "Sorry, the question is a little tricky. I said 100 mega[i]byte[/b] and 100 mega[i]bit[/b]," that accounts for the candidate just mishearing or having a brain fart. If the candidate got it "right" and answered, "Eight seconds!" then the interviewer could ask what sort of factors could cause the download to take longer, to see if the person knows that the Internet is not a Big Truck. (All this is assuming that this stuff is relevant to the role.)

Basically, any time an interviewer just lets the candidate be wrong is bullshit, because development is collaborative and it's good to figure out if you can collaborate well with the person you're interviewing.

This is also a good take

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

here's my graph theory

he's good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

my gimmick is that i seriouspost. next

[hands out a probe] thank u, next

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

agreed that there is something likeable about graph in theory

in practice however...

aaag probations

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

haven't worked out how I'm gonna go ab out bailing on mine either

well specifically I've got no beef with telling the company or boss, just the team--feels bad to cut and run and play hob with their schedule potentially three times in a calendar year, lol

oh well

It's a letter that says " I am resigning effective the Xth of Jantober. Sincerely ciaphas." And nothing else

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

There's always the Bloody maneuver but that isn't really recommended most of the time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

ok now i'm curious

The Bloody Maneuver?

Instead of sending your resignation to your boss and HR, you accidentally send them a copy of your signed offer letter

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doom Mathematic posted:

"accidentally"

well, when he originally did it, it was accidental, yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pollyanna posted:

hahaha japan sucks

it’d be a cool place to visit but the culture and society are dismal

the only redeemable thing japan ever did was some cool games

cool post

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pollyanna posted:

background checks violate nondiscrimination acts when they have the potential to reveal trans status

Where is trans status protected in the us outside of MA

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people itt talking about what a background check firm “needs” to provide fundamentally don’t get it

the employer is the paying customer, not the applicant. the background check people will provide anything and everything asked for, including your past aliases. your privacy is irrelevant and they don’t care how uncomfortable it is — you ain’t the one paying the bill.

most companies really only care about salary history and any relevant crimes (e.g. wire fraud, hacking charges, embezzlement) but they will dig up everything in that process

in other countries this poo poo is handled by government bureaus, to avoid the privacy nightmare, but this is the USA, so instead every employer rummages through your private life for fun

p.s. my last two (2) jobs, their background check firms demanded my freaking tax returns. that is public info in many countries but sensitive as hell in the u.s.

boy howdy was I pissed about it, but what was I gonna do? walk, after accepting an offer and resigning my prior job?

they have got you by the short and curlies and they know it

lol what the gently caress did they not tell you that they were doing a background check until after you accepted the job

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lancemantis posted:

I know mine got leaked — thanks OPM

I even had done an sf-86 so rip me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

Currently reading the salary negotiation book that nbsd recommended. It's good and I will confidently attempt to own my next job offer.

you're gonna get owned lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if you're going to listen to nbsd, 1) don't
2) go back in the thread for mononcqc's takes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ShadowHawk posted:

serious though what kind of toxic culture has employees in the office at 8am the average adult isn't even awake at that point

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DELETE CASCADE posted:

ok but how is it possible to be at work by 8 if you are still asleep? shadowhawk claimed most adults aren't even awake at that hour, much less at the office

lmao I get to work at 8 and am still asleep until 10

Bean life

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

Disclaimer: no matter how mad my depression might get or how late i sleep in, i still always manage every day to shower and leave the house at least once, even if its just to pick up food or something. gotta have some baseline rules

this is good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

Well, walk in there swinging a big dick. Say “look, I like you guys but place X is offering me (whatever they’re offering plus, I dunno, 10-20%), let’s make this happen.”

:shrug:

Do this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

my biggest problem in my interviews and what leaves my career feeling stuck at $helljob is that $helljob meets almost every negative criteria in the OP, so when screening questions come up about what kind of organization/teams/environment I've worked in I... well, have to answer

so e.g. i have no idea what agile is, why it's better than Ye Olde Waterfall, we're a team of 4 software devs with no organization, QA or plan (our 'lead' discovered VIsio a year ago), our ticketing/tracking is Rational Clearquest therefore useless and unused (so no Jira etc)

and of course $helljob is indirectly for us air force so that's, great,

quote:

so e.g. i have no idea what agile is, why it's better than Ye Olde Waterfall,
at least with this you can give textbook answers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ask all these people if they want to form a union

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jit bull transpile posted:

is all of yospos abusing drugs just to do their jobs?

does caffeine count?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JawnV6 posted:

a yosposter literally dosed me post-lunch with this stuff

I do this myself on occasion!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

raminasi posted:

is there any good reason that

would require

or is it just recruiter bullshit? normally I’d just assume the latter but the job and firm description sounded so good I want to get some outside opinions before I (politely) tell the recruiter to go gently caress herself

fuckin clowshow recruiter doesn't know the difference between discrete and discreet so i doubt it matters as much as they think it does

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GenJoe posted:

please do not do this. send them back a contract with your hourly rate

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

jesus christ

what the gently caress!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anyway I have an interview tomorrow

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

elite_garbage_man posted:

Here's my story about an ai startup.

Imagine my surprise when I checked the company's project page, was redirected to a personal website, and I checked the about me section to discover it was the homepage of the dude that made the infamous my little pony resume that was in the 3rd person.

oh dear lord lomarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i didn't bomb the interview but we'll see, i guess