Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Emacs Headroom posted:

even acknowledging the existence of the careeer website is probably a red flag

if you don't know someone there who can refer you (always the best method), then you're supposed to casually hit up a recruiter there on linked in

i got a few interviews at BigTech companies (and a job) from just applying to jobs on their sites

there was a lag of a couple of weeks though, I guess you gotta wait for someone to poke through the shitpile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

qhat posted:

Working at my current company has been a real eye opener, in the sense that every possible inefficiency a software firm can have exists. For example:

- Sales setting hard deadlines without any consultation because they oversold a product, and then blaming software for not delivering on time.
- QA overwhelmed because developers actively refuse to write unit tests, and then QA being blamed as a bottleneck in the release cycle.
- Infrastructure projects which should be high priority, such as CI and dependency management, never happen because it does not contribute directly to the fastest possible next release. Instead developers do stupid poo poo like checking binaries into git, using recursive submodules (this is just so inherently dumb it's not worth elaborating on), manually copying around binaries on disk just to get their project to build, etc.

All of these things honestly come down to incompetent management. I'll be making sure to ask questions related to these things next time I go for an interview.

recursive submodules? like a git repo somehow having itself as a sub module?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

when we were hiring people at my last company I skimmed through the cover letter before looking through the resume. it was handy because sometimes there was some experience mentioned in the cover letter that didn't really stand out in the resume, and also because there were a couple of crazies that filled their cover letter with red flags.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

trap sprung I guess on a guy that doesn't know the difference between withholding and actually paying tax

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

qhat posted:

This is a real pro tip. If anyone wants you to do something, request that they do another tiny reasonable thing to get the ball rolling and watch how you never hear from them again.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

qhat posted:

That's lowball for Canada

Maybe in Toronto. 105k for a senior position sounds pretty typical for vancouver (although maybe Amazon will start to change that)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

this whole convo is weird

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

meatpotato posted:

to be clear, I'm seeking mentoring, decent pay, and opportunity to learn new technical skills outside of firmware, my current pigeonhole

maybe find a small company that does embedded stuff, but also wants a bunch of bad web interfaces or cloud services for their embedded junk?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

similar to the question in the op regarding pto- hammer this question home. a good consulting shop should have a very generous pto policy- moreso than even normal tech companies due to how stressful the work is. DO NOT be satisfied with any answer unless they tell you exactly how much pto they've taken and what they did. absolutely make it clear that any attempt at dancing around your question is completely unacceptable

I get the idea but I keep picturing “I DEMAND TO KNOW WHETHER YOU HAD FUN IN LONDON”

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i have a whiteboard interview at bigtech coming up in a couple weeks, and I’m already deep into studying data structures I never use* in my day job

*okay I guess I use a lot of hash maps implicitly without thinking about it

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

that’s 16 hours more. that’s also horrible. if you have to lie about being sick for a system to be ok, it’s actually a bad system

there’s also a 1 week shutdown at American thanksgiving and Christmas

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

got turned down for the first google team I had a matching interview with, we’ll see what I get next

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is amazon lab126 a shitshow?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

wait- do we have any h1bs in yospos? i just realized that we're sort of incomplete without a few

i am and I'm sure there are plenty of others

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

do BigTech companies usually walk you out if you give notice and you’re going to another BigTech company? I don’t see why they would but I feel like I’ve heard of it happening

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

gave notice to my manager, who was not sure whether it was policy to be walked out, so I’ve kinda just been sitting here for a couple of hours waiting to see what happens

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

DuckConference posted:

gave notice to my manager, who was not sure whether it was policy to be walked out, so I’ve kinda just been sitting here for a couple of hours waiting to see what happens

update: today is my last day (maybe probably?)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what's wrong with that

an amazon recruiter once scheduled a call with me on a saturday morning

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

If you are pressed to sign, or threatened with termination, then you may sign it, but include the words “under duress”. (The shorthand “u.d.” will not suffice.) What this means is that, since you were threatened with summary termination, you were not free to decline the PIP, and therefore your signature is meaningless.

This kind of sounds like some freeman of the land type stuff.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

After spending over a month just hanging out due to waiting for the law firm to process my visa, the paperwork is finally done and I start at newjob on Monday!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

The default answer for job related qs here should be, "start looking for new job", in the same way the default answer to an r/relationships question should be "dump the motherfucking rear end in a top hat"

If it's come to asking randoes on the internet, it's already hosed

also because people generally have an overly strong motivation to avoid risk and change which means saying "change things a lot" is often good advice (except for a select few who need to do a whole lot less of it)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

my apple recruiter was fine? also I heard from them a few weeks after blindly throwing resumes at apple's job postings

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

the thing you should be pressing is the "search jobs" button on linkedin

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

a lot of job interviewing is about testing your ability to follow dumb unspoken rules of corporate culture, and there are good reasons for that

prep harder next time

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tak posted:

small company in a small city in the Canadian prairies

oh my god

like I was going to complain about the derail but Jesus Christ I sincerely hope you can escape from camrose or canora or whatever lovecroftian horror of a little town you're trapped in before it eats you alive

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

65 degrees and foggy forever is not 90th percentile weather considering it’s a clone of Seattle most of the time.

there are >200 days per year where 65F and foggy would be a major upgrade (for Vancouver anyway, I assume Seattle is basically the same thing)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Scionix posted:

oh geez I got a google interview

what do i do im basically retarded

just practice bullshit problems from the internet

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

did they not send you a shitload of interview prep?

yeah the interview prep isn’t like a trick or something, but also it kind of comes down to what the favorite (not banned) questions of your interviewers end up being

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i've worked at a small tech company on windows, a big tech company on macOS, and big tech company on linux, and always had full rights on my workstation

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is that Tesla? I did something similar for Tesla, as I recall it was a mix of simple quick questions (what will this line of code do) and a couple of more involved questions (write some code to do a thing)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is london like vancouver in being a preferred vacation destination and wealth parking place for money launderers?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Kind Friend posted:

remote contractor

this seems like a bad time to become a variable expense

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

there is no such thing as ethical employment under capitalism?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

My Google interview process never had my education come up, possibly because I don't have any (no CS degree or classes).

Google trusts their interview process enough that there are quite a few "no degree but some industry or open source experience" people getting through it. As cumbersome as it is, it's at least not blind to people like me.

i think the ivy league bias was more of a thing around 2005-2010, it doesn't seem to still be a big limiter these days

but yeah seeing attendance at an ivy league school would definitely be a red flag for me on a resume. you're trying to hire a competent person to do a job, not provide a sinecure for the kids of old money.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

the contract is sealed, new employment secured. time to inform my boss that I’m getting the gently caress out of here, but he’s out for Canadian thanksgiving so I will have to wait an extra day to do it. my boss is in canada. my new boss is in Texas, lol.

Congrats! Are you out of BigTech now?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

TN has some educational requirements that might be difficult to meet as a non-traditional.

TN and H1-B are both going to be difficult without a university degree that somewhat corresponds to the job title. although people bullshit a lot for "management consulting" and such TNs so it might still be an option. L-1 requires you to be working for the company outside of the US for at least one year, and they need to then decide they want to transfer you to the US bad enough to deal with all the crap.

if none of those work, you could also marry an american.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

you make it sound like being slightly further from the tech baubel is a bad thing

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the 20% is things like objc or c/c++ where you cant just cant use java/c# or they are too impractical (embedded) and then its fine

rust might actually start to take some of the c++ market, it feels like we've hit a moment where some large c++ projects are starting to basically give up on ever properly preventing memory safety bugs with c++. rust is the least hosed alternative.

EDIT: i would like to sincerely apologize for accidentally sniping with an opinion on programming languages

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

you disgust me

We take this issue very seriously. We broke your trust, and we're going to do better moving forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

ok so 200 (conservatively, maybe you have a higher bonus) plus equity that's probably worth a lot but might not be and is taxed differently from ordinary income.

motherfuckers declare total comp like it's best case time and space. y'all should know better.

RSUs are taxed just like regular income if you sell them the day they vest. If you hold them after they vest any change in value after the vesting just follows the normal capital gains rules.

EDIT: To clarify, the following scenarios all have you paying the same amount of tax:

1. Your boss hands you a $10k stack of cash as a bonus, and for some reason you decide to buy the company stock with it. Then you sell it a month later.
2. $10k of RSUs vest, you hold on to them, then sell them a month later
3. $10k of RSUs vest, you sell them, change you mind and buy $10k of company stock at the same price on the same day, and sell it a month later

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 13, 2021