Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

anyone already in the EU want to work at a sports analytics startup in Barcelona? backend, frontend, data science/ML. senior and junior. we're doing cool poo poo, especially if you're into football

effort posts in the effort forums but just PM me if you want to hear more. no silly pre-screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

this account is protected right now which is annoying because I really want the back story here

seems to be based on this book

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

qhat posted:

My gf works in a hospital and it's all unionised, and being someone who just joined recently she is not eligible to take the holidays she wants if someone with greater tenure wants that date, so she basically never gets Christmas off etc. And her pay is also heavily tied to her tenure regardless of how hard she works.

My wife has worked in 4 non-union hospitals and they all were like this :shrug:. Also illegally forcing her to work lunch breaks and other nonsense.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

hiring sucks. someone help me out by being a good candidate. we are a sports analytics startup in Barcelona looking to hire several developers (basically doubling in size). unfortunately we cannot do visa sponsorship but if you are allowed to work in the EU, PM me.

skills we need are data science and various backend/devops/cloud stuff like setting up databases, web services, streaming video, etc, but we will also be opening front-end positions in the fall so feel free to get in touch for that too if you're feeling proactive. anyways if you have some combination of skills we need we can tailor a position for you. hell, maybe you can even choose your title (no ninja bullshit)

small team, greenfield project, Barcelona, football. lmk if you want to know more

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

:negative: yep, there's the rub. we're pre-revenue so we have a hard time even competing with the local market (although we are trying to stay in line with our offers)

40 - 50 is the range we're shooting for. max we can afford is 60K total comp in case there's someone we want at all costs.

so much for getting the candidate to give a number first

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

yeah I guess the thing we can't do is the work permit not the visa
http://spainguru.es/residency-options/
and I guess technically you can arrive without the permit, it doesn't really work out that way given the timeframes involved

I'm a US citizen myself. As co-founder of the company, with a PhD in a relevant field, it took us 8 months and several tries to get my work permit approved.

It sucks but we can't be confident we'd be successful and we don't have that kind of time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

Do you actually need a data scientist or do you really need a data engineer who can put together some analytics? You'll get fairly different candidates despite how close the roles seem.

Well, there is some element of research in that we are experimenting with our methods, implementing algorithms from papers, etc. But I would say data science is a skill we need (among others skills) more than Data Scientist is a role we need. If we hire someone who can develop new analyses but their code sucks and they need to hand it off to someone else to make it testable, etc. for production, then that would be a Not Good outcome.