Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
last month a recruiter asked for my transcripts on the first contact. Meaning she wanted me to send them back in e-mail. I last attended in 2005 & said I don't generally provide transcripts at that stage in the process. then over the holidays I forgot all about it

this week i got an e-mail that she'd scheduled me for a morning interview. didn't check my availablity on the day or nothing.

I wrote back to the effect of "idgaf, and by the way that's not a very productive way to do things"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MononcQc posted:

im the student padding their first industry resume with things like "plays guitar", "did unrelated activity x" in highschool, or drops refs to "real passion to teamwork"
I'm the bro startup lead who's impressed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qhat posted:

Lol at good grades taking the same amount of work as a full time job
the difference is you get to choose the schedule

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

lol at being afraid of professors.
tbh autodrag i don't see how this poast or the ones leading to it support the reading that you are assuming

I am inclined to screen candidates for a relevant college degree, and find that autodidacts can be as arrogant as anyone, but programming is not legally constituted in the US as a profession and the quality of education varies muchly. There are schools that hand CS degrees to kids who can scarcely join two strings together.

as for professors you better believe there are some who will lay down the law if they believe the future of their field depends on it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

cheque_some posted:

internal transfers suck because you always end up still getting called for help from your previous group
lol "Take It Up With My Manager"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
like geez i learned that one back when i was bagging groceries

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
startup investors promote open sores because it serves their interests on both sides of the startup life cycle

- every startup can build on the existing tech commons and not spend the money to duplicate it
- when a startup fails (as most do) it can leave behind any new general-purpose tech that it built for the next ones

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"I hear you're looking to sell a house"
"That's right"
"So could you tell me what you paid for it?"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
how big an organization? information gets lost sometimes. send them the job description and tell them where you found it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

99% or recruiters have no clue what they’re hiring for and just do a database search for keywords. so put all the right keywords in.
do you have experience in
- APIs
- idea for algorithms

please indicate number of years and all relevant projects

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

basically all good recruiters work freelance because that's where t he big bucks are. corporate recruiters are the bottom of the pack ones that cant cut it solo
freelance recruiters are tremendous idiots

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
for anyone other than an embedded/OS dev the correct answer to "how do you implement a linked list" is
"I don't"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you're writing C or C++ and don't use a suitable list library that your framework provides then you're masturbating on company time

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
cool anecdote. wow!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
If recruiters cared particularly about finding qualified candidates they'd press their clients/employers for realistic criteria vs. "must have 5 years same-version experience in every tech we use"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

q re: networking with people. a PM i worked with at a previous company now works at one that looks cool, and i have no idea how to ask "hey, you guys got openings?" in a way that isn't crass. how do people do this?
"what areas in the company are growing?"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
or if it's a small company without areas, "are you looking for any ______" (your leet skills here). this isn't crass, it's constructive

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i dont mean to discourage someone from advancing their career but if you rate your skills at "hacking one-off shell scripts to collect data" that does fall quite short of what's needed to build an application of any kind

rather than charging the gates with that kind of experience, you're gonna have to build some kind of small demo applications on your platform of choice and have them ready to demonstrate so that people can judge your aptitude

and if your platform of choice is the web, i don't say this often, but PHP would probably be your safest bet

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

jesus gently caress no that's a ban

use python if you can't think of anything else but there is no good reason to ever inflict yet another shitphpile onto the world
a novice who admittedly struggles with programming, writing their first web apps, will produce shitpiles regardless. at least with PHP they can do it quickly

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 17, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oh to be young again and believe that better languages/libraries make better programmers

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
a few months ago I received an algorithm from one of the data crunchers that i was supposed to reimplement in product, and although the keywords were python i could swear it was a QBASIC program

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

https://eev.ee/blog/2012/07/28/quick-doesnt-mean-dirty/ discussion of this exact use case

good tools are easy to use correctly and hard to use incorrectly. you can gently caress up in python by all means but it takes an active effort, as opposed to php where it's something that just naturally happens if you don't watch out for all of the pitfalls that originated from the fact that it was designed by a monkey
you're severely underestimating the "active effort" that went into making that blog post, i.e. knowing about particular libraries, how to obtain them, what they are designed to do. note in particular where he lists some very easy (but crude) options for deployment and then opts for something harder

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

If you voluntarily start a PHP project and put that in your resume you will run into far more prejudice than if you use any other language, even a parody one.
the question's moot according to jimmy carters update but lmao if you believe PHP projects would detract from, rather than enhance a resume with no prior app dev experience

also in general join us some time in the real pro world where much worse solutions than PHP (and worse misuse of good solutions) exist, are even not hard to find

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there is no purpose in asking about work life balance in an interview because you will never get a straight answer and ultimately establishing the balance is your responsibility

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaman Linavi posted:

when i interviewed at epic several years ago i brought it up and the guy said something like "yeah we sometimes do like around maybe... 60 hours a week but you know just look at this place!!"
and what did you see

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

the panacea posted:

Can someone help me decipher if this is good or bad:

"We see ourselves as a start-up, but with all the advantages of being embedded in a large corporation with all its associated benefits."
this could mean that upper management is light-handed but you'd never know without asking how the group is like a startup

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
this week i'll probably get an offer from a company that would allow me to leave the sinking ship i'm at now, otoh i really want some downtime (spent my last substantial "vacation" looking for a job) and there's other goals that this job wouldn't allow me to realize and gee whiz i'm getting old

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

meatpotato posted:

ask them for a start date beginning sometime after you’ve left your current job. if you’re in the US remember that if you leave at the beginning of the month your health insurance is still good for the entire month.
i don't particularly want to work at this company though, interesting as the work may be it's not in line with my technical direction

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Valeyard posted:

My technical direction is cold hard cash from the highest bidder
ymmv but i've found that leads to being hired again and again to do what you've already done and then be shut out when those technologies become unfashionable

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

is it disingenuous to market myself as 2 years of rails exp if I haven’t touched it in over a year?

cause I’m paranoid of people asking me obscure rails trivia as a screening/technical q
answer truthfully and let fate take its course

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
experience is the currency of the job market. if you don't wave your experience around, what else have you got?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no that is not appropriate for an initial contact. by definition layoffs are not subject to being refilled, your concern is not being hired into a downsized team but rather having a dependency on one

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
in an on-site interview you can ask what parts of the company were affected by the layoffs, and whether they include teams that the hiring team has to interact with regularly

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's unusual for bosses to be eager to fire people they have just hired. typical situations include

1. you're hired a probation basis. this would typically be structured as a contract-to-hire so the boss bears no risk in letting you go
2. you make yourself a hazard to the company (e.g. start a fire, hit someone, steal equipment, use an ethnic slur)
2. the boss is just a jerk, which hopefully you would be able to tell in the interview

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

doesnt explain my last place then :( except for probably the third. this also doesnt make sense due to at will employment but i dont know much about that
The second 2 is the at-will employment case

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Lol if your resume isn't in latex
its me, i'm the black person in the alley

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

how tf do you graduate with a cs degree and be literally unable to program? did i accidentally go to a good school or something?
You don't indicate a country, but CS colleges in the US choose whether to seek accreditation. Lots of them don't and then they have a choice of what to teach and how to teach it, sometimes influenced by whatever companies sponsor the program or the narrow interests of the faculty

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Accreditation is a vague word that carries varying levels of significance:

Regional accreditation is important. National accreditation usually means a for-profit school. ABET accreditation is pretty pointless for CS but exists
For those fortunate schools that are already top ranked abet accreditation is pointless, for the rest it serves to check the school from defining CS education however suits it. My opinion on this is informed by my undergrad experience where the curriculum reflected the pet interests of senior faculty (numerical comp and formal methods) and was terribly weak in everything else, where the professors promised to teach things they didn't actually bother to (I got a degree in something else)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Progressive JPEG posted:

marketing genius: selling a product which does not exist, solely to determine if there is a market for it
there's a right way to do this, which is not the way that your typical SV venture does it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Consider that pissing away the years in a job using the same moldy tech doesn't help your employability either

e: specifically, waiting for the "right opportunity" to come along that just happens to be convenient to interview for while holding your current job. recruiters would gladly throw me at dozens of interviews for positions i don't really want until i get sacked for low attendance

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 14, 2018