Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

trick question
No modern es6 developer would ever rely on type coercion like that. Every set of linting rules is going to suggest the sane === operator instead of ==
Of course if the interviewer REALLY wants you to remember the type coercion rules, that’s a mark against them.

Every language without hard breaks in backward compatibility is going to have a dirty basement, some times sometimes it’s non-generic collection libraries, sometimes it’s keywords that made sense in a bygone era of desktop development. You aren’t faced with it in day to day work in most languages but this is the language of the web

But if we are breaking backwards compatibility in languages -
Python 2! Celebrating ten years of depreciation and and also wide deployment! :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Valeyard posted:

yeah, i would already be locked in. I have heard some horror stories on amazon but I am not sure how willing (in comparison) other places are to sponsor visas

MS has a galaxy of desi body shops like WiPro and HCL and Tara but to your employer you really are just warm meat.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

The Management posted:

large percentage of contractors is a huge red flag
my experience as a contractor with large american telecom relying on contractors* meant a constant drain on institutional knowledge, so every task took twice as long to do as figuring out how every little soap service was supposed to work and sets of requirements went unknown until somebody screamed a week after launch.
Anybody who’d been there a year was effectively senior.
Funny thing, the company had put some sort of effort into making it a ‘fun’ place to work, ‘hip’ designed office, game consoles in the break room ... except it was a launch era Xbox 360 that had red ringer but was never replaced.

* many of them living out of a suitcase, sleeping in a bathtub and sending every last dime home. Whatta world. What a world.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

The Management posted:

99% or recruiters have no clue what they’re hiring for and just do a database search for keywords. so put all the right keywords in.

:banjo: :”Well, Mr Recruiter, I’d describe myself as a real go getter and a team player!”

:v: :”Great! We were looking for someone with experience in Go and Team Foundation Services!”

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Peeny Cheez posted:

Because 99 times out of 100 the test has absolutely nothing to do with the requirements of the job, already has an established solution, or is just loving dumb.

Example of the last: given a list of phone numbers and call durations, sum them up and bill at 3 cents a second under five minutes and at 2.5 cents a second, rounded up to the next minute for calls over five minutes. The number with the longest duration is not billed. Should multiple numbers have the same duration, then the lowest number is not billed.

also, do it in one pass through the data set, here’s your filthy whiteboard and dried out expo marker, gently caress you and good luck

your next interview will be tødor and jignesh who will ask you to name a serious bug you fixed in a job from three years ago, and respond with “Well that was dumb, your QA department sucks.”

also this interview isn’t for any specific team, this is the end of a final stage interview and they’ll do a cattle call and the managers will just take their picks

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 8, 2018

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

qhat posted:

. I might drop an application in anyway because whatever though.

because, whatever. :cheeky:

Currently contracting for a place. A sibling team is looking to hire me on fulltime, the job description for the role I’m being recommended for is a kind of analytics tooling engineer while I’m more web and services.
Something I’d never consider, the job description reads like someone doing SEO.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

scrutinize the job posting, visit the company’s site, see what other jobs they have, see if they’re located in different sites,

as a dev I work with QA often enough and misread specs lead to bad bug reports (nothing like an offshore QA team running a misconfigured build and dropping a hundred bugs onto Jira) so, eh,
“Explain a time you worked with an engineer on a difficult problem.”

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Pollyanna posted:

that is true, though i feel the need to work with software engineers over just an "it department" - i'm not entirely sure why, i think it has to do with growth. maybe im misunderstanding/wrong

no yeah that is an issue.

Large retailer in town (think of them as Sears or JC Penney) has a combination of stores and an online presence that drives 40% of income not to mention in-store purchases.

Previously the site was run by a combination of old timer FTEs and a horde of people from bodyshop firms that are there to be a bunch of clocksuckers who will turn a minute long process into days (environment variables managed via sql, need a sql script to modify that environment variable, need sign off on that script, need scripts for several lower and upper environments, need sign off on those scripts, no pushing to prod outside of a monthly release window ).
All hosted on prem. Everything from search to rendering is mashed into a single monolithic probably process.
Only after buy-in from the CTOs could they hire on people to melt this crazy iceberg, move rendering off to a collection of independent micro services, move off to Azure and pick a decent JS front end rendering technology and not have frontend devs require a copy of Visual Studio on their systems.

Organizationally it’s still the IT department. The cousin teams to the site who work on the POS systems for the stores deploy a ten year old version of the old rendering tech. They’re not pushed to do any better. The contractors only get their marching orders from their managers who are looking at retirement and haven’t cracked a book in years.

Anyway, some of these places could be adopters of React and Node in 2014 and be on AWS Lambda pre-announcement, or they could be held hostage by a greybeard and his big black tower of COBOL

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

eh, do you wanna go into management?
if you were, would you get appropriate coaching and support from your directors, etc?

trading off individual contributor vs management is a big move

moving to management means moving to senior management when those guys move elsewhere, and lateral moves to other companies for management roles is also easier.

on the other hand I’ve left two companies over lousy managers (though I’m hardly blameless) so, no pressure :nsacloud:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Gazpacho posted:

experience is the currency of the job market. if you don't wave your experience around, what else have you got?

:maga:
but srusly tho

MS has their recognized community leads program called MVPs,
monocqc would probably be that for the Erlang world if they had such a thing
Major contributors for commonly used OSS projects also have that recognition.

but that’s like 0.01% of devs

hobbesmaster posted:

in regards to presenting - it’s truly amazing how terrible most engineers are at it

low hanging fruit, as far as differentiation from the crowd

I should be presenting poo poo at meetups :frogbon:

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 20, 2018

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Pendragon posted:

company does whiteboarding with generic programming problems:
"bad company, you shouldn't do toy problems"

ugh. last interview was a toy problem where in the end they were wanting to evaluate code organization and how I broke apart problems and code organization

And like a dumbass whose brain shutdown the second he picked up the Expo marker, I wrote it all in a single function.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

quote:

to get 1 offer, you need on the order of 2-5 onsites,
it even takes a few times to get the story out as far as rattling stuff out like it’s a standup performance.

had a recent interview where a manager intentionally misunderstood a few descriptions I gave for one of my last companies architectures in an attempt to fluster me.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

KoRMaK posted:

oh god dammit. loving katas. who does katas when they are already a 6 year senior/lead?? katas seem like poo poo new developers do to sharpen their skills.

yes, man. loving katas like you’d been flipping pancakes, decided to do this software thing one day ginned up your entire resume + experience on the spot.
Optimally they’re supposed to be technical freebie questions and they’re looking for ‘your approach and style’ - of course if the interviewer sees a dozen of these and gets impatient when you get wrapped around the axle coming up with a solution, it’s just a wash.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Flaming June posted:

nothing kills my interest faster than a complicated timed code exercise in a language i said i don't have much experience in, with no option to change it, and no one on the other end to complain to

Or working in languages like java or C# whose workflows more or less depend on IDE support, so now you’re fighting compiler errors instead of fighting their test suite and the clock is ticking and in the case of Amazon it’s all just pass-fail and It’ll be 3/4ths of a year before they let you reapply and :byodame: AAAAAAAAAAAAA

I wish I was some sort of self-promoting known conference speaker / writer and don’t have to walk through the same doors as the Top Coder studying recent-grads.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

getting written off in an interview because I couldn’t remember what SOLID was despite this being a javascript heavy role and they learned coding in the 90’s when OO was hot stuff and never bothered to examine that some of this AbstractFactoryFactory poo poo is isn’t workable :argh:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

ThePeavstenator posted:

Out of curiosity I took a look at open positions at Twitch. Are Amazon subsidiaries pretty independent or are they all just Amazon with a different logo on the building?

I see purple twitch hoodies around town worn by people too old to ever have anything to do with twitch, so I think they like to maintain their separate identity from The Mothership.

Any large business is gets run like separate small businesses, so Whole Foods, Amazon Restaurants, Amazon Prime Now, Amazon Fresh are effectively competitors.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

I've had other coworkers just "be asked to leave" in a few weeks due to one or other stack ranking exercises despite being a fine employee. I guess it's not a layoff?

Current status:

I was a consultant to a company that did project work for various companies in the area, and they'd had me assigned to a position at Famous Brand Media Co that was renewed quarterly, after twenty months and two rounds of layoffs among the FTEs* they didn't bring me back at the end of December.
So, the consulting firm had me on the bench for a month while they tried to drum up other work - which is nice, fully paid bench is Golden but that's definitely a money burn.
February, I'm funemployed, been in the process since first week of January. It was only in the last three weeks when I really went all out on the process.

* :aaa:

Honestly I've been halfassing the job search while I was employed and only landed a final stage interview every three months, or so, but I'm burning vacation and sick days just to interview in person. The only way to really do this thing right is to make it a 1 - 9 PM job on top of your 9 to 5 job.

Anyway - offer 100% remote contract to hire 6 months, interview process was just talking, no coding tho.
Interview at Famous Brand Media Co was also just full of softball node.js questions. Dunno. Apparently I suck at this type of interview setup.

Tech: B+ ... React GraphQL DotNetCore Kubernetes on AWS. Great for a services group... Kinda wish I was doing product development like Azure or Qumulo, or work on an up-and-coming language like Go, but oh well.
Team/Manager: A- ... manager seems to really want to do things right, Agile/SCRUM, etc.
Business Area: C ... Healthcare Business IT, dunno. If we ever go to socialized medicine I think this whole business would radically change.
Pay: B for the contract portion, senior Microsoft base pay, but no bonus. Remote definitely means an extra two or more hours I'll have into the day.

Seattle is dense enough that I could sell my car and get by with Bus/Uber/Lyft/ZipCar.

And now to tell all the rest of the recruiters and other places I'm in the process with that I'm no longer available.
We'll see how this turns out - maybe I'm "not a good fit" after two months, maybe this position lasts years.

__

I had a boss threaten me with a pip and didn't provide a way of addressing his vague disappointments, so I could get out of it. I gave my two weeks and he got mad and said he would have anything nice to say about me if I tried to reapply for another position. Management via threat? He left the company five months after I left after being transferred to a different team.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

uncurable mlady posted:

... do you work for a sneaker company?

nothing like getting four calls at the time from Indian recruiting firms for contract roles at Nike - hey wanna relocate to Portland for six months?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Hughlander posted:

Oracle Cloud seems to basically be trying to clone Amazon from comp to leadership principal interviews.

interviewed there last year , they hired a number of my ex-coworkers in Seattle over a layoff I survived.

Spoke with a few older people who were with AWS from the early days, and a number of younger people who really liked their data structure questions.

Same I didn't get it because Great Mother Oracle had unzipped her purse all the way

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

didn’t pass a screening for a role at MS because I’m apparently too much of a schmuck that just churns through jira tickets instead of having a customer focused mindset. apparently the product teams there are just so much better that they can’t make use of my ‘line of business dev’ experience.
This is just the sort of thing to make me freak out about wasting my career, where it doesn’t matter how much I got paid or what projects I was able to get out the door.

raminasi posted:

a third-party recruiter is trying to place me at the company that already employs me, this feels like some kind of milestone

first party recruiter contacted me about a company that I was fired from, about a week after it happened. :downsgun:

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 27, 2019

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

It’s kinda reminded me of a boss I had (who’d also spent a lot of time at MS) during one of our 1:1’s
“Hey, we get the sense that you’re not getting as much work done as your coworkers.”

me: “Can you be more specific? I’m here ten hours a day. I’m working on the jira tickets on the board, same as everybody else.”

“That’s not what I’m talking about.”

me: “We go through the agile methodology, do sprint estimations, set our priorities, write user stories from the PM’s requirements, what else is there?”

“We’ve got higher expectations of you. You figure it out, I’m not here to spoon feed you.”

after another eight months of ups and downs, and me desperately shaking him down for actionable feedback, I resign out of frustration, and I get this at my exit interview,
“If you were passionate about your work, you’d know what to do without being told.”

Assuming the guy wasn’t gaslighting me, it felt like there’s an entirely separate ‘higher’ level of work experience and mindset expected of me that would make me a Director at lesser companies.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 27, 2019

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

bitchtard posted:

I have to stop doing phone interviews for hit and run recruiters and poo poo I don’t care about because I’m getting burnt out and my not give a gently caress is showing.

nothing like talking to a recruiter who just wants to fill out a skills matrix, and
“How many years experience in webpack?”
“How many years experience in Babel?”
“How many years experience in JavaScript?”
“How many years experience in ES6?”
“How many years experience in cloud?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the same reason they get off on drilling candidates on obscure trivia

they're rear end in a top hat :spergin:s who shouldn't be anywhere near the hiring process

Got asked about Covariance and Contravariance in C# at a MS interview

Wanted to say
1. This interview also covered typescript and SQL
2. You shouldn’t be leaning that heavily on OOP concepts in the first place.
3. You just read an article, didn’t you?