Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there is zero difference between good and bad things. you imbecile. you loving moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I mean, again, Java itself isn't so much as inherently good as populated by grownups who have some actual sense of responsibility. Google Guava notwithstanding (it's good but it does make the odd breaking change here and there so you do have to keep up with it). Otherwise, Maven doesn't support more than one version of any given transitive dependency in any given project and in practice this is virtually never a problem which speaks to the maturity of the people in the Java ecosystem.

Compare it to the JavaScript ecosystem: it's not just that JS is an awful language (even though a lot of the worst stuff has been brought under control with new language revisions and type checkers and suchlike) it's the fact that it attracts the worst kinds of thoroughly punchable dickheads.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm a "generalist" in that i can do embedded stuff, native code on linux and win32, i can write a thing that responds to http requests in a bunch of different languages, i can do an sql, and i can also design then single handedly implement and then maintain a system that integrates all of these things that doesn't catch fire at least some of the time, because i've had to do just that (minus the win32 part)

but idk much about distributed systems though other than the cap theorem is a thing, also i think docker and suchlike things are garbage poo poo for idiots. so that probably doesn't make me very hireable.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

quarter mil a year what the gently caress teach me your ways

quarter mil household income

that is to say two adults making an average of 125k between them

which cis autodrag pointed out by mentioning her spouse a few posts later

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
this is at least the second time, in this very thread, that i've seen, that you do not actually read a post but rush to engage with it

and you're wondering why you're having difficulty finding a good job

i'm not saying this to be an rear end in a top hat to you, i'm saying this because you need a bit of tough love in this regard

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
is it better to start with k8s and deploy something that is literally used to manage google's millions of servers when you have 1 server and 0 users or do you migrate to it painfully later on

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*walking past long-term unemployed homeless person* MY MAN, HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD WORD ABOUT VANGUARD ETFS????

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm going to lol and lol when docker inc goes under and takes the central docker repository with it and the entire loving internet breaks

though i guess the likeliest outcome is that github somehow takes that repository over

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

job postings are an adverse selection problem just like job candidates -- the worst jobs go unfilled the longest

• a dude who wants to pay someone $10/hour to work on wordpress is gonna have an opening for a looooooong time.

• windows shops are universally horrible. every single one of them. in every way. low pay, bad management, insipid livestock for coworkers

edit: additionally, if you don't live in a "hot" area for software, most of the software jobs are gonna be pretty horrible. that's normal. don't get too depressed about it. there are probably good jobs hiding, you just gotta be persistent.

dragon enthusiast posted:

ofc when I throw a bunch of resumes the first hiring manager that wants a phone screen is the one for the job I least want

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
luv 2 pay my rent w/culture

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well, if you have a seemingly-simple query that's taking forever to run then you're gonna end up looking at a query plan to figure out (a) what the root cause is and (b) what to do about the root cause

and you're going to need to understand how those types of join work in order to do something about it

lol if you think you're ever going to have a DBA who will actually help you with this sort of thing as opposed to impeding poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hmm i dunno man our capex budget is pretty lean this quarter, you'll have to escalate that to the coo

*shovels another $750,000 into the AWS money furnace*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean you probably shouldn't be posting interview questions verbatim either tbh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
instantiate whatever .net calls a priority queue and chances are its implementation will be a heap.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:unsmith:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
javascript, php, or loaded gun?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

updated legacy python code to Powershell

me too op i updated a legacy italian sub to a lump of stool yesterday afternoon

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
let's all get together and make a yospos startup

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
under capitalism we are all owned

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
really looking forward to my upcoming stretch of funemployment but i know exactly how this poo poo is going to go down

expectation: "i'm free! ok now that i have all of the free hours in the day i'm going to exercise so much and i'm going to learn and i'm going to try that side project i've been putting off and..."
reality: *waking up at noon* "ugh i'm so bored"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
something i've never seen written down anywhere is the general idea that you should split your classes into two broad categories: classes that represent data, and classes that transfer or transform that data. and don't mix the two in one class

so you'd have, say, a bunch of classes for an xml dom, and then a bunch of classes for parsing and serializing them.
or you'd have a bunch of data transfer objects and a bunch of repositories that load and save them.

what you shouldn't have is dom nodes that know how to serialize/deserialize themselves or database entity objects with .save() methods on them

one benefit of this is that it then becomes easy to make the data model objects immutable. also you don't have weird implicit dependencies everywhere.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why would you inflict steve yegge on innocent people like us

what crimes have we committed to deserve that

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Waroduce posted:

OH you can't move on the number? Give me PTO, work from home days, buy me companion tickets, buy me a weekend in a hotel, I need a gadget / cell phone allowance etc.

PTO is good

WFH may or may not be compatible with your psychology (it isn't compatible with mine, I can't be productive) so may or may not be worth something to you. That being said, it's definitely nice if you have kids.

weekend in a hotel... what?

gadget/cell phone allowance... what? stop adding more useless poo poo to landfills. cell phone plus plan is like maybe $100/mo tops, that's not an order of magnitude that has any business going near a comp negotiation

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Space Whale posted:

Apparently my mindset of always anticipating poo poo going pear shaped and picking things apart to test them, and then always testing the whole regression, is a very marketable skill. And my constant triage in life is good for looking at what can blow up in a big system.

:unsmith:

Curiously I think that I might have put bugs in the ear of the interview to use himself even if I'm not hired lol.

https://boyter.org/2016/07/chaos-testing-engineering/ Also "Chaos Engineering" immediately struck me as what I was born for. How do I become a code monkey who makes monkeys?

im the apostrophe's

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Space Whale posted:

So if people think SQL can't scale horizontally (sharding?) and you gotta do stuff in the :cloud: and you need to go NoSQL is this a redflag?

yes. this is resume-driven development.

a competently designed and administrated traditional database cluster can get you surprisingly far, and judicious use of application-level partitioning can get you further still.

your poo poo startup is not amazon or google, you do not need amazon or google-scale solutions for your 100 daily active users.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
good heavens, an entire terabyte you say?

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 27, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that's almost an entire sixteenth of a commodity server's ram

when you've got a working set that can't fit into a single instance's ram then you start thinking about application level sharding

when you're google or facebook or amazon and your business data is a gigantic planet-spanning graph, that's the point at which you bust out the super-heavy weaponry.

i mean don't get me wrong it's pretty cool that you can get (something that resembles) the software that runs these sorts of operations for free to play around with and study, but these systems require a highly knowledgeable and focused operations and engineering organization to effectively manage, and that tribal knowledge will remain tribal knowledge and not become easily taught and disseminated simply because very few companies actually work at that level. given the political effects they are causing, there is an argument that very few companies should work at that level, but that is an entirely different conversation.

long story short anybody who uses warehouse-scale distributed db systems willingly is an idiot, it's what you use when you're so huge that you have no other choice.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also a disclaimer, i don't actually have much practical experience with this stuff so uhh don't use my shitposting to make career-impacting decisions.

still, i don't think it's controversial to state that the tendency of "nosql" databases to turn your operations experience into a living hell is well documented.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am also curious what you consider "beefy." it's 2018: you can order an off-the-shelf x86 server with 384 cores and 48 tb of ram

if you have deep pockets, petabytes of ram and thousands of cores are an option

spending a quarter of a million dollars or more on a beast like that just seems like all sorts of bad idea.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
vast acres of ram are always nice to have but how can you make effective use that many cores tied to a single system bus?

your budget is enviable but also not indicative of anything in one direction or the other. any fool can shovel money into a furnace.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

yeah I don't feel that bad for this one (it was the most interesting company that I was able to get into the hiring process though)

the kick in my mouth is the feeling of inadequacy that this whole fruitless job search is giving me. there are no other job ads to submit anymore, the fact that I got no offers at all for this long is signalling to me that I have no place in programming

the just world fallacy is nonsense in general but double nonsense as far as anything to do with who gets the high paying jobs is concerned

it's frustrating, yes, but for god's sake don't get your self-worth dragged by this ritual supplication bullshit

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"if they really want this job they'll walk around this conference room on all fours barking like a dog when i tell them to"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

burn off that nervous energy by hitting some job boards and sending out more resumes

I mean this is a fine activity even when you are not waiting for an interview result

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this describes every successful business organization in the history of mankind. like this is the very heart of the theory of the firm

if you are willing to formalize most communication, and have most workers off site, you don't need to form a firm at all

if you are willing to put up with endless bullshit and leaving elaborate paper records, there is no reason not to subcontract everything

my company has several skyscrapers in manhattan alone. this is not cheap, and it is not accidental

if i need to find someone, i go find that person

p.s. "communication emissaries" are more commonly known as "managers"

process and formal communication are not free; they're not a tickbox on "we're a big boy company now"

they're expensive, stultifying choices that can make your business into a kafka-esque hellscape where it takes six weeks to communicate the new documents to overseas parties for committee sign-off

there is some correct amount of process in between "none" and "SOX-compliant ISO 9000 implementation of ITIL" but having huge numbers of remote workers and attempting to split software development across multiple contintents is definitely not the sweet spot

when somebody asks you what your favorite flavor of ice cream is do you write several paragraphs of extremely mad text stating that no sane person could possibly disagree with whatever your answer is

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Just say that after careful consideration you have chosen to accept a competing offer and thank them for their time.

They really don't give a poo poo whether or not you totally had the last laugh or not and they're a bunch of assholes so they aren't worth your mental energy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

You know what's worse than NYC? London. It's got all the shittiest things about NYC and Vancouver in one place and like none of the best parts.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

:negative:

ngl i'm beginning to wonder what really lies ahead in life and it don't look rosy.

welcome to the entirety of recorded human history.

we have democratized mass communications now whereas we didn't really have that even ten years ago. this makes it acutely apparent how fuckawful the world actually is for the first time ever, but with it comes the promise of actual systemic change after the last few decades of stagnation. but yeah things have always been bad. people survived somehow even through the worst of it. live goes on.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
but yeah i am so loving glad i got out of the uk you have no idea

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Not that I want to turn this into a freestyle shoelace-tying contest but

https://ghostbin.com/paste/bdzdu

am I missing something here? :confused:

Though speaking of cycles poo poo you'll never ever have to deal with in practice, loving tortoise and hare is something that literally never gets used outside of programming interviews. You end up with a linked list that may or may not be circular and you break out the memory debugger son cuz you really hosed up somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the good thing about working for an established business is being a very small cog in a very large machine
the bad thing about working for an established business is being a very small cog in a very large machine

startups are more likely to give you interesting work, unfortunately you'll get an uneven mix of the good and bad kinds of interesting (spoilers it's mostly the bad kind)