Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

my buddy had the soft interview with google the other day. i think the tech interviews are still to come. he needs sponsorship. what are the chances that google just ghosts him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Those $80/month dues are really gonna cut into my figgies

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

unions would be good for tech but how do your organize in shops with chuds and bitcoin guys?

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

alternatively it's still a hot market and gently caress your employer. if you have a burning desire to get out, youll be okay, gently caress them

alternatively alternatively, quit in your brain, just completely and utterly gently caress off your current job and continue 'showing up' until you have a better offer

I've had two jobs where I probably spent 6 hours a day at work playing dungeon crawl and looking for new jobs. It was terrible and draining in its own way although I got pretty good at the game.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

barkbell posted:

strength in the backend

:mmmhmm:

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i have a third-round interview tomorrow morning that i'm very excited for. apparently i impressed the HR and execs, but i'm more nervous about the tech interview. i don't think it will be much LC poo poo but more along the lines of system design since the position is a 'senior backend engineer'. i can't recommend enough the 'Designing Data-Intensive Applications' book. it's like having the answer key to a test.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I had a great third round interview today. flubbed a few easy questions like dependency injection, but totally nailed some difficult stuff and surprised myself. later when talking about an initial offer, I quoted 175k base to start negotiations and the HR person said “yikes!” lol.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

my boss got covid and offered to explain how it's actually all a scam even though he had to take a week of sick time and still looked miserable on the video chat. I declined to hear him out and it made me feel zero regrets for fleeing the company

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

e: nm

exe cummings fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

This morning my mom forwarded standard recruiter spam clearly meant for me that for some reason was sent to her email. Our email addresses are significantly different to the point that there’s no way they fat-fingered something like [first inital]lastname@yos.pos (plus it’s all sent via automated tooling anyway) :psyduck:

I’m sure there’s a million graph DBs out there with harvested data that have an edge between us labeled “Mother/Son” so I guess some recruiting tool decided that means her email is my email?

when I called the HR people at my new job, their caller ID told them my father’s first name. very weird since my father and I haven’t shared a phone plan since 2008