Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
writing tests first is cool and good iff the new behavior is clearly specified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
any place that bounces you for merely using nested loops on their toy interview problem probably did you a favor

that being said, i wanna golf the thing

code:
Seq.groupBy abs
>> Seq.where (snd >> Seq.distinct >> Seq.length ((=) 2))
>> Seq.map fst
doesn’t give you zeroes back (not sure if that’s a requirement) and idk about performance because all the work is in library code but gently caress janitoring my own data structures until i know i need to

raminasi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 14, 2018

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my friend got fired today and i feel bad for her

i think it will end up a blessing in disguise because she was unhappy at the place but a big part of the reason she hadn't quit was that she didn't want to feel like she failed and welp

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

meatpotato posted:

drinking at work sounds like it would take all the enjoyment out of drinking imo

one time we called it on a mid friday afternoon and my coworker made some bombass dark & stormys but it probably wouldn't be fun as a repeated thing

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ciaphas posted:

not yet, idk what makes a reputable recruiter vs one who's just going to add to my ever growing list of reasons to take a hammer to first my phone, then my head

every good third-party recruiter will volunteer the company they're trying to place for and will only apply you for positions you're qualified for (this last one seems obvious but plenty of recruiters are, in fact, that bad)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Diva Cupcake posted:

that's not business-speak; that's transparently rear end in a top hat-speak.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

jesus WEP posted:

:redflag:?

“Open Vacation Policy – Get the job done, enjoy your time off”

some places actually mean this, apparently. just make sure at the on-site that you ask everyone you talk to about the last vacation they took and be prepared to bail if a majority of them don’t have good answers.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
isn’t Brazil about to elect a hitler, maybe you should be looking internationally

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I really like my current job and I was hoping they’d be able to give me enough of a raise to get me from “insultingly underpaid” to “within sniffing distance of market” but alas it appears to not be so and I’m gonna have to choose between continuing to be insulted and going back into the hellworld of job hunting

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KoRMaK posted:

I did use recursion! it revealed itself to me as the solution around the 20 minute mark after I wrapped my head around all the dumb cases that roman numerals have. It's actually just one dumb rule, applied over and over!

Yea when the recruiter said I wasn't tdd enough my head exploded. It also makes me wonder what daily life is like there, and is there a huge gap in my programming knowledge and there are places that do the crazy tdd-masterrace sort of programming that I will just never even get a glimpse of? Basically the feedback sounded like bullshit but also triggered my impostor syndrome

Or maybe the rejection was just bullshit i have no idea!

roman numerals tdd is a known kata so they probably had some specific solution in mind

they did you a favor

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CPColin posted:

Reminder that in California, potential employers are no longer even allowed to ask about your prior salary! I bet that one is still filtering through HR handbooks.

nyc too now

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Zaxxon posted:

Any of y'all ever end up working at a place that made you do one of those "personality and aptitude" tests? like the CCAT? Every one of them I've seen has ended up being a bunch of weirdos.

my current job. my boss used it to hire for low ego and it appears to have worked out quite well but i can’t really recommend anyone else roll those dice.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my boss told me today in a surprise 1-on-1 that the bonus pool he's getting to work with is stupid small and that the only way i'm going to get what i deserve is to find a new job (not in those exact words but that was the sentiment)

so now i plan to wfh more often and use the time for job searching lol

interviewing is garbage but so is not getting paid what you could be!!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is a good boss and it's a shame you're gonna have to leave him behind

yeah I’ll miss him

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am really shocked at how much pushback i am getting on the general thesis of "computer touchers have it good"

"computer touchers generally have it good" and "no computer toucher should ever have any reason to struggle" are not the same claims

also cobra exists but it ain't cheap

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

white collar workers are much, much better protected against a sequence of unlucky breaks than average americans

yes

this is not the same as “immune”

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Corla Plankun posted:

dont do this unless you work in a country where your company would extend you the same kindness

my company actually did this to the last guy on my team to leave. two months notice before firing him.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
hahaha oh my god even internal recruiters are still recruiters

a two years ago I got rejected from this company because I couldn’t enumerate substrings in 45 minutes over the phone or whatever, and last week I get a cold email:

their recruiter posted:

Hey raminasi,
I'm reaching out because I am working directly with the CTO of Oscar Health to grow their Engineering department from 100 to 200 in the next year.

Unsure how familiar you are with Oscar, but we are solving one of the biggest problems facing America today - the cost of healthcare.

Oscar is doing things that have never been done in healthcare before as we are very tech/data focused and are able to attract some of the best engineers in the country because of this. Both our VP of Engineering and CTO have Google backgrounds, and you will not find a healthcare company in the world with as many talented engineers as Oscar.

We have received over $1.3B in funding to date - our most recent round in August raised $375m and we are just getting started.

Up for a call?

Nikki

Embedded Technical Recruiter

Oscar Health: 295 Lafayette Street, 6th Floor New York, NY 10012

my bored rear end posted:

Nikki,

Unfortunately, I'm closer to a Middling Software Engineer, with a stretch to Somewhat Decent Software Engineer on my good days. (Think more AltaVista than Google.) Do you have any positions open for that?

raminasi

lol posted:

Hey Cody,

Thanks for the response. Are you able to send over a copy of your resume?

I'll see if there's alignment with your skills and our team from that.

Best,
Nikki Baroff
i’m tempted to write up a fake “mediocre software engineer” resume and see what happens

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CPColin posted:

I feel like a question, trick or not, that can be flat-out gotten wrong can still be a good question if the interviewer uses it as a starting point, as opposed to just checking the "WRONG" box and moving on.

Like, if the candidate says a 100MB file takes only only second to download over a 100Mb connection, the interviewer could say, "Sorry, the question is a little tricky. I said 100 mega[i]byte[/b] and 100 mega[i]bit[/b]," that accounts for the candidate just mishearing or having a brain fart. If the candidate got it "right" and answered, "Eight seconds!" then the interviewer could ask what sort of factors could cause the download to take longer, to see if the person knows that the Internet is not a Big Truck. (All this is assuming that this stuff is relevant to the role.)

Basically, any time an interviewer just lets the candidate be wrong is bullshit, because development is collaborative and it's good to figure out if you can collaborate well with the person you're interviewing.

i have always found this harder to put into practice than i'd expected, it's definitely a skill to practice. like in this example i'm imagining a candidate flat-out saying "i don't know" and shrugging. is it better to move on or try to feed them something to prompt them? and if so, what?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
bad candidates actually made me feel worse about my difficulty with tech screens because I couldn’t help but think that companies were lumping me in with the worst of what I’d seen

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CPColin posted:

I had an opportunity turn into a rejection when one of my references spooked my prospective boss and I was unable to talk them through their concerns. My reference felt so guilty about it, they asked never to be used as my reference again, lol.

lol what’d they say

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a background check would be 100% useless if it could be evaded by changing your name, and 99% useless if it could be evaded by changing your sex

perhaps obviously no one involved has any incentive whatsoever to care about your privacy

my reading was that jbt's objection was to the background check company revealing her deadname to the hiring company, not knowing it themselves

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ShadowHawk posted:

you can give two units every week or two.

uh

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qhat posted:

Just got the follow up, I did really well and judging from Glassdoor and the grade they told me they're hiring for, I'm looking at a minimum +30% pay with 10-15% yearly bonus and sign-on bonus and drastically improved PTO. I've got a final call with their senior director arranged. I've arrived.

not until you get your security badge

i ain't tryin' to hate but zero hour withdrawals happen

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
is there any good reason that

recruiter posted:

They are looking for a senior engineer to join their team in NY who can help them both provide oversight to their more junior engineers but most importantly somebody who can work directly with the CEO to help bounce around ideas and run R&D projects that will help drive the evolution of the firm.

would require

recruiter posted:

Given the nature of the role the CEO has asked us to be discrete in our search until we've validated that candidates are a good fit, at which point we'd be more than happy to share full details of the firm.

or is it just recruiter bullshit? normally I’d just assume the latter but the job and firm description sounded so good I want to get some outside opinions before I (politely) tell the recruiter to go gently caress herself

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Boiled Water posted:

is the CEO literally the devil? The company is probably terrible; steals babies, digs up landscapes for coal, is huawei or possibly the bank that crashed the economy last time.

recruiter posted:

My client is an award-winning, well funded Tech company with offices in NY and London who have built an inference engine which is currently live with a number of Tier 1 Financial Service firms operating in the regulatory & compliance space but have plans this year to extend its use into other domains like autonomous vehicles / drones etc..

financial regulation/compliance is actually a thing that attracted me; I find finance technically interesting but annoying traders is way more appealing than helping them make money

but “if you google them you won’t want to work with them” is an obvious thing I should have thought of, yeah

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Penisface posted:

my current company burned me so bad so now i do not believe a single loving company pitch anymore

1. we won the "most promising startup" award in some ycombinator circle jerk
2. we have 2 years of runway if we stick to paying way below market rate salaries
3. we have a PO box in london, and basically a desk in some startup nerd hub
4. we built some piece of poo poo keras/tensoflow thing we sold to some buzzword addicted boss, but it's not working too well so now we are pivoting to selling our crap to idiots who believe in self driving cars

the recruiter is being "discrete" because they probably know the moment you look this place up on glassdoor they're going to get ghosted faster than a robocaller, and the only way to get butts in interview seats is playing this bullshit hide and seek game

one more warning sign is that the CEO is looking for what seems to be a team lead. questions: who was the team that built their current product? what happened to the team lead? where are all the senior engineers? it seems there's two ways this can play out - the CEO is actually the team lead/senior engineer who built the current thing and now wants someone to take over. fair enough, but seems like a position with a lot of interpersonal issues built right in, because for some reason they are expecting an outsider to take over instead of someone in the team who is already familiar with all the stuff in the company. the second scenario is that the previous team lead bailed and again there is nobody on the team who can or will replace them. either way this position better come with good-great figgies because you probably will need to be a master diplomat in addition to your technical skills.

:tipshat:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Boiled Water posted:

i did

and probably outed myself as not american

most Americans confuse them

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

JawnV6 posted:

so y'all are saying that NYC companies absolutely refuse to match what CA enshrined in law? still don't understand the attitude some folks cop when they're getting clowned like that

i work at a relatively stodgy nyc fintech firm and i only signed away ownership of stuff i build that has to do with work, so whatever’s going on isn’t universal

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
jesus christ dinging you for not using poo poo new in core 2.1, that's absurd.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i'm applying for a java shop where you have to do their little test in java (or c++???) and my only java experience is two units back in undergrad ten years ago

hopefully my c# translates well enough and they aren't too picky about the language itself. i'm gonna try to use streams, wish me luck

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cold on a Cob posted:

i really, really wish it was easy to mock extension methods

yah this is basically my only problem with them

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i get so depressed reading about you people throwing around your $300k comp packages

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

AWWNAW posted:

if it makes you feel any better I’ve been getting paid to write software for 20 years and my first job paid like 30k. I didn’t break 100k until 6 years ago

that does, actually. i have 10 years of experience with the tech but 8 of that has been in academia so maybe i can blame that.

i’m a white man in nyc fintech though, so no improvements possible on that front.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

big scary monsters posted:

yeah, i went into research with my eyes open that it'd be years before i caught up with even graduate salaries in the private world.

i guess i just didn’t, even though, like, duh. what’s frustrating is that i’ve jumped to industry and none of that experience seems to count at all

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaggar posted:

if your research wasn't pure comp sci or if it was totally unrelated like if you were doing research in healthcare statistics that would be something that would definitely help you going into a job developing healthcare analytics software.

mine was totally unrelated...but the industry it’d get me in pays like poo poo as well :v:

big scary monsters posted:

academic research has its advantages though, i moved to industry for a bit and decided it wasn't for me. a funded researcher has the kind of freedom that you only get otherwise if you're C-level or self-employed: you can basically set your own goals, your own hours, even your own colleagues to an extent. as long as you keep bringing in that sweet grant money and publishing on a regular basis nobody is going to tell you you're wrong. plus usually generous holiday as well as universities closing days, a couple conference junkets a year maybe

if that's worth zero job security for like a decade minimum and a hefty pay cut is a decision you have to make yourself i guess

yep this is exactly right. i just decided it wasn’t quite worth it for me.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
just did some some job application homework

“you’ll have 90 minutes, but it shouldn’t take you more than 30!”

20 minutes for the single-threaded version, 10 more for a safely concurrent version, 30 more yet for a safely concurrent version that passed their “is your concurrent version actually faster” test. and to get there I had to ignore all their hints about using synchronized and instead use a concurrent collection and an atomic. hope it’s right, or else I’ll look like a jackass! I might look like one anyway!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
well you can’t really “negotiate” right? but you can ask.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
just got a perfunctory rejection because my solution to their hackerrank toy problem, despite passing their test suite and not being batshit crazy (as far as i could tell), was somehow incorrect? who knows, they didn't give a reason!

i'd forgotten how much i hate this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Gallatin posted:

bullet dodged

i am trying real real hard to tell myself that. i'm in the perfect job hunting space (current job not fantastic but still has some good parts, and pays enough to be comfortable but not the idiot dollars i think i could be pulling down) and it's still demoralizing and terrible