Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

qhat posted:

Cold calling recruiters don't have any lucrative jobs anyway. And its sometimes okay to tell the third party recruiter because your motivation to get paid as much as possible aligns with their motivation to get the highest possible commission.

Thats not their motivation though. Its to spend the least amount of time on you so they can make it up in volume. if they can fill three roles or your one at 15% more which do you think they want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Had a full day interview today where there were zero whiteboard questions. So glad to be out of the IC rat race. 5 hour long sessions and no markers.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

i've at least briefly used blame and found it helpful; i'm just leery about any workflow that includes a force push so I've never tried

I think a lot of people objected to never force push. Not never implement a workflow that includes a force push. At least that’s my take on it. Sometimes you need to force push. Knowing when is key.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ADINSX posted:

For some reason I think putting GPA is stupid, but Latin honors are cool and make you look smart. I don't know why that is, probably because its in Latin, so if you wanna manipulate idiots like me that might be worth a try.

quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I hate getting to the spot of talking comp. went through 7 separate loops between on site and blue jeans across 3 continents for a Sr leadership role. Then when talking comp and not wanting to anchor we talk around it awhile and going back and forth finally talk obliquely about w2 with salary/bonus/RSUs knowing I’m talking to a private company.

what they don’t know is while the number I’m looking for is 20% over last year, last year was the end of a 4 year golden handcuff from a company buying my startup.

Hope it doesn’t scare them off cuz it sounds like an awesome job and for the time they put into me they sound really interested.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ADINSX posted:

Nice. Are you working for AWS or some other division of Amazon.

I was gonna make a big writeup about it on my first day, since it isn't real until you get that badge, but I'll also be working for Amazon, AWS specifically.

Depending on where they are you can take the link or I guess the sounders train in if you're really far from the city (edit: I need to read better, 15 miles probably makes sense to take the sounders train? I know some people that use it but I've never done it personally). I live south of downtown as well and plan on taking the link

I'm in the process of the AWS loop now so would love to hear more. I put together a list of every question they ever asked for a Sr. Software Development Manager and plan to have at least 2 examples/ancedotes for each but not sure how much more I can prepare.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ADINSX posted:

Sure, I actually found the loop really reasonable, if a little drawn out (due to their size I guess).

If you haven't done your writing sample yet (they might not make you do one) I've heard they like it in the "STAR" format, something they're big on: Situation, Task, Action, Response... its basically how you'd write something like this anyway: Background information, my specific task, what did I do, what was the result. I actually discovered the acronym after submitting my sample and realized I had done just that without knowing it had a name. I've heard they're big on "I" vs "we" there when discussing stuff like this, which is kinda counter to my nature, but they want to know what you did specifically, and that you didn't just kinda ride the coat-tails of your team.

For the in person, they REALLY love their 14 values. Something they proudly admit, and provide with the interview prep material. I actually bought a kindle book called Interviewing with Amazon or something that explained the values in more detail, and gave some example questions to expect that are centered around them. The 14 values make up the majority of the soft skills interview, and provide kind of a jumping off point for you to explain what you've worked on, etc. They'll ask lots of clarifying questions so make sure any anecdote you bring up you know lots of background information about. To prepare for this I wrote down a lot of my career highlights and just spent some time thinking about them (who asked for what, who was involved, what exactly was the outcome, what were the problems, etc)

There will be some code white boarding, but it was actually pretty reasonable, and no one assumed the "I'm the test giver you are the student" attitude, which was a huge plus. Everyone I talked to seemed nice, interested in their work, and down to earth, but maybe I just got lucky with the team.

Very nice. That tracks with a lot I've heard about already only not what the writing sample would be about. If you can find the name or link to the book I wouldn't mind reading it over the weekend.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I got the hiring manager screen for a sr. Software development manager role at amazon (L7) tomorrow. Given the figgies involved I’m freaking a bit that messing up will be a serious detriment. What can I do to prepare? I looked at every question asked on Glassdoor and have a few broad projects to address them. I read the book linked earlier when I asked. I’ve spent the last few days watching g webinars on the product. But I still feel unprepared. EHLP

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FamDav posted:

one weird tip to having a great commute into SLU: take public transit

Doesn't that involve just walking for the last mile?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

qirex posted:

I'm literally a professional designer and my resume is 100% text [but I can see this power level 9000 crap catching on]

also marital status and citizenship are things companies are banned by law from asking you :psyduck:

So just volunteer them if you got the answer they want anyway right? :)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

raminasi posted:

at my current place we start making fun of you beforehand at about the 4 page mark

I once received a resume that was 34 pages long. Not a European style CV, a Resume.

It was such a clusterfuck that I looked at the whole drat thing. It averaged 1 line per 3 weeks the guy worked at a job.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I got to file for unemployment yesterday!

Now I get 3 more screens (2 phone one in person) today, an amazon on site on Thurs and then nothing for another week. I hate how ritualized the process is at this point...
Submit resume.
Schedule call with recruiter.
Recruiter calls sells job
Schedule call with hiring manager
Hiring Manager screen
Recruiter passes you off to on site coordinator
<long rear end wait for no reason>
On Site Coordinator asks when you're available
Schedule on site for a week or two out.

Same drat bullshit all the loving time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ADINSX posted:

I had an interviewer ask if a role was "exciting enough" for me during an interview, after I had explained several times how interested I was, what the gently caress do you want from me dude, to shout it from the roof tops? I need a job rear end in a top hat

If there's a steady pay check in it I'll find anything "exciting enough"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

So how do I word it to other places that hey I've had an on-site I think might lead to an offer please hurry your poo poo up without sounding like a pompous rear end in a top hat? I don't want to make decisions like move across the country in a vacuum .

Also what are real opinions on being in LA for tech specifically mobile? Will I be screwed if for whatever reasons things don't work out?

I'd pretty much word it like that. "I have an offer on the table but I'm interested in what you may come back with. I need to provide a response by X so if there's interest I need an answer from you by X-2."

LA itself? I only know of a few game studios out there doing mobile related things but there's probably much more. If you append it to be Santa Monica or Irvine (bitch commutes) there's a lot of things that way mobile and otherwise.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

grumble. was supposed to hear back on hiring committee decision at a FAANG and 20’mins before the recruiter moves it to Monday.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

gently caress. Second on-site with a place that didn't lead to an offer. Two more on-sites this week but was hoping to play offers against each other now just hoping to see an offer.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Currently 0/3 for on-site to offer conversion. Getting a bit disgruntled. If I get a phone screen I can leverage it to an on-site but then it fizzles out. I got a plane ride tomorrow for an on-site I'm not interested in but I guess it's more practice.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

as someone who worked at oracle that must be extremely dependent on which department you work for because everyone i knew was laughably underpaid

Oracle Cloud seems to basically be trying to clone Amazon from comp to leadership principal interviews.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Had what could only be described as an 'adversarial' interview yesterday. Rather than a conversation interviewer needling in a raising tone looking for specific 'right' answers. Really sucks because A) He's the VP. B) Every other session went great. But even if offered I don't think i'd want to work under someone like that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Not a Children posted:

The only correct response to an adversarial interview is to call them on their bullshit and/or walk out

If this is how they treat a stranger they're ostensibly trying to impress, how do you think they'll treat you once you're in the fold?

Agreed. I should have but it was the last of 5 sessions and the other 4 went really well. I can't even say it was good practice.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Phraggah posted:

Was referred to Google and was rejected before even taking to a recruiter. Rip

heh. I feel something like that is happening to me. recruiting coordinator claims to have been reaching out to the directors EA for the past 10 days to get a call scheduled and nothing so far.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So here's a question... How would you value intangibles like opportunities for fitness? I'm looking at two places both are going to be a 40-50 minute commute away. I got a kid and normally leave for work when they leave for school, and get home between 6:30 - 7:30 with a bedtime of 8:00p. So there's no real opportunity to go to a gym except during the lunch break at work. One place is going to come in lower than the other but has an on site fitness center that I could do cardio and light lifting at. If the work is both interesting, the tech is interesting, and the stability is interesting, and the only two differences are total compensation and access to fitness facilities. How would I assign a value to it?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Following up the two parts that seem to be asked a lot:

1) Moving isn't really an option. I got a good price on a 1/3rd acre new construction in a Seattle Suburb. Paid ~700k it's worth ~ 1.2 now. It's also got a really large play set in the backyard that's not movable. I've done 40-60 min commutes for the past 7 years and that's not much of an issue for me. And that's why commute is so long, Seattle suburb where you can get new construction to downtown take awhile...
2) Last job (Also 40-60 min commute as mentioned above.) Had a fitness center. I used it almost every business day for the 4 years we were in that building. Prior to that (and when the kid was too young to notice.) I'd just go to a real gym most mornings before going to the office. Now that the kid is in school and more regimented on wake up / go to bed time is where things are difficult.

I guess I'll just need to assign a dollar value somehow to it and compare the comps. Who knows maybe the one I expect to be lower will surprise me, but I don't think it will. Or maybe the one I think is going to ghost to me will get back to me since that is better than either of the two, closer, even higher comp, gym across the street.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Why not use the extra money from higher paying job to build up a home gym? If you're going to sleep at 8pm you probably get up at 4am. That's plenty of time to get a work out in.

Second time it's suggested and it's probably the best choice. Also the kid goes to sleep at 8. I'm up far later.

Thanks for being a sounding wall people. Now just to see the numbers come in hopefully today.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Yay finally got an offer!

Booo it's a poo poo TC package that having no RSUs or PSUs is like 100k less than what I was making at my last place. Don't think I'm going to negotiate my way out of this one. But I'm using it to light a fire under the rear end of the Unicorn that I've been talking to since loving 3/20.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What's some good ways to approach a negotiation on salary?

I got one of the two offers I was looking for and it's got good base, but only 'ok' bonus (15%) and no options/RSUs. My last place that I was laid off from was a bit lower base but 40% bonus and some RSUs each year. In the 5 years I never got less than 100% bonus payout so we're talking a TC difference of like 25% I don't think I ever had to negotiate that much. The plus side is they want me really badly, and they're only my fallback if the other offer doesn't come through next week.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xarn posted:

Expected overtime is the "I loving quit" line for me. I am willing to do some overtime if everything is hosed, but I expect compensation in return AND that it will not happen often.

What the gently caress is wrong with america?

It's been hmm 19 years at this point but I still remember a Director calling an all staff meeting and announcing, "Saturday is no longer an optional workday."

We were on a hard contractual deadline and made it, it wasn't fun, but the stock did buy my first house in SV. Would I do it now or quit? I don't know. If it was a steady state thing, yes for sure. But...
1) I'd expect it to be better communicated than that. I'm 19 years later and still using that as a demonstration of how not to do it.
2) It'd need to have that clear exit criteria and that reward for doing it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xarn posted:

So, do you think the Director made more, or less than you did?
And do you think he worked more, or less than you did?

More to both, but I'm not arguing any of that. My entire point was go in with your eyes open and gently caress open crunch.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hell I'm about to do this today for first day of work. Be there at 9, Waze says it'll take 25 to 45 minutes, better leave at 8!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

how!!'s first post was a long winded tale about showing up at a new job as a junior dev, looking at the code base for a couple hours, and coming back to declare that the only possible path forward was a ground-up rewrite. the question was "how do i make them see my obvious brilliance?"

up next in the oldie thread, on the current re-reg, how!! came in with this glorious post describing a 3 hour workday where his 'boss' would write tickets, he would close them out in ~15 minutes each, until the boss got bored. the question wasn't "how do i keep myself sharp in this weak sauce environment", it was "how can i get these hours at my next place". warnings about the tech atrophy went unheeded.

now, 7 years into a programming career, how!! swooped into the oldie thread to whinge about "oversaturation," which he then goes on to define as "a company refusing to hire talent for any reason outside of sheer technical competency" and makes clear that he is unwilling to whiteboard, take-home, or even wag the dog on basic behavioral questions

how!! is a 1-year-10-times developer and a bottomless pit into which any and all advice can be aimed without consequence. dunk on him at your leisure, don't pretend that it's for anyone but the peanut gallery

Don't forget the original... nbv4

Which led to this thing of beauty...

That Turkey Story posted:

I work as a programmer coding software for an automatic sewing machine that runs entirely on cow manure to be used primarily by wives of cattle farmers (not even kidding). Despite how it sounds, we somehow have a steady stream of consumers and the software itself is surprisingly complicated -- the machine manages all different kinds of needles and threads, switching between them via a simple interface and it alerts the user when spools are running low, etc. It's not exactly the most fun work I've done, but it's unique and it pays well.

Anyway, the code-base is absolutely garbage and it makes heavy use of factories for creating any and all objects. What's even worse is that the coding standard here for factories is to use all single letter identifiers that consist of the first letter of the word that they represent. The exception to this rule is that if you want to represent something that is two or more words long, you use the first letter of each of those words (I.E. the generic factory for creating objects that represent "Needles" is a global object simply called "n" and the factory that produces objects that represent "Tatting Needles" is called "tn" ). Furthermore, we have a strict versioning convention where you append "v#" to any new factory name that is a revised version of another factory where # is the version number). For instance, at some point early on in development before I got here, the type for representing upholstery needle's was totally revamped and a new type was created -- rather than reuse the same factory name, the old one still exists, but if you want the new type, you have to use the "unv2" factory, where "unv2" stands for upholstery needle version 2. Couple this with the fact that there are pretty much no comments and you get impossible to read code that you have to analyze to figure out what it's supposed to be doing.

Case in point, we have different factories for threading needles that work with different internal types based on whether the machine is running on cow manure or bull manure or a combination, so there is a factory "nc" for "no cow" if it is trying to thread a needle when running strictly on bull manure, "cb" if it is trying to thread a needle while running on cow and/or bull manure, and "nb" if it is trying to thread a needle while running on just cow manure. What's worse is, these factories are constantly being revised so seeing an expression like "cbv3()" for "cow and bull version 3" is way too common.

To make a long story short, one afternoon back in 2002 I was making updates to the threading functionality and when I tested my changes on the actual machine, everything seemed to work fine except that whenever I went to work with strictly bull manure, all the spools were getting covered in feces! I looked back at my code but because it was a long day I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I just started a new version of the "no bull" code and increased the version count to 5.

Everything works fine now if you use the latest factory, but to this day, nbv4 produces nothing but lovely threads.

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 13, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

School of How posted:

There is no such custom. In my experience, the custom is "gently caress you, find another place to work, you get no severance"

But we already know all about your experience. I’ve been in an industry for 20 years now. I’ve had 3 plant closures with WARN act support and no other layoffs or firings. The last was the 60 day earn requirement, 6 weeks severance and 5 weeks vacation time. it happened in feb and I wouldn’t have missed a paycheck till last week. Oh and they paid out my 40% yearly bonus in April despite the fact no one had been at the office in 2 months.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The counterpoint to that is that a niche industry or a single market is going to be made up of the same individuals. after the closure in feb I mentioned I was asked to come interview for my current role by one of my directs. one of the other directors is a former peer from a different firm. I’m working on getting another lead to jump here that I’ve worked with 3 times in the past over 15 years. when people talk about networking, that’s part of it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

last time I seriously heard flex tried was Cisco trying to Dog food it over some new product that would let you port your work number to wherever you happened to be that moment

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

barkbell posted:

stuck on a reference check with no communication for a week. how long does this poo poo normally take. im sick of interviewing and want to start working

that reference check is code for another candidate in the pipeline that they want to compare you against.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

could be even better, like our take-homes. all candidates are required to do them but they're just discarded as best i can tell. there's no way for interviewers to see them.

if it makes you feel better my new places is a polar opposite. 2-4 reviewers per test depending on role, automated test suite run, and detailed notes made on design choices with follow up questions on to why decisions were made. then new requirements and live coding during a screen share with the team who did the review. (As in your solution as written is opened and see how you change the architecture to new requirements. ). I’m pretty impressed by it honestly.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

If you ever wanted to know How?? you shouldn't handle phone screens, have I got the thread for you...

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20197206 complete with the audio to the phone screens!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

honeymoon is over. there were layoffs on monday. they didn't touch the tech side at all and all the usual this is a one time thing promises came with it. loving sucks.

this was really brutal too as i'm used to huge conglomerate where people were just gone on monday and you got an email. they executed it horribly there were people crying out in the open, an all hands meeting afterwords. even in just 2 months i got to know a lot of folks and am upset for them.

the severence is the best i've heard of 90 days on payroll, 90 days salary after that, and a service that helps you find a job internally(within parent co) or externally.

resume is polished up, do i start applying again or do i just ride the wave? i'm in a pretty unique position as the only iOS dev so I think it's very easy to just jettison me and the iphone app for mobile web, but the highest spending customers are all on the app which is a point in my favor. the cto said something cryptic as hell about making reports on app install base and usage metrics to show some deltas between app updates i'm now making.

i still like what i'm doing and the people i work with daily. so this isn't a crisis, but boy is it eye opening.

interested what the general feeling is about "a bunch of people got laid off" as the answer to the why are you looking so soon question.

Layoffs are never a good sign. But that severence is pretty killer and you just went on a retreat. Maybe find out a bit more about the layoff, was there a pivot and these people weren't needed any more? You said before the job had RSUs, how's the stock doing? We're in Q4, it's really hard to get a job in Q4 because a lot of new heads will open in Q1 and a lot of people take time off so loops are difficult. If you can hold out I would.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

The severance package is set from parent co and they are doing great. RSU are parent co's stock and that is doing great. bonus is based on parent co performance and that is great as well. parent co just doesn't knwo wtf to do with us and we are just shy of profitable. honestly the profits that this company can bring in are a drop in the bucket for parent co. so the fear is parent co sells us more layoffs buyer says gently caress that severance, or they just shut the doors.

I can definitely stick it out until the new year as we're e-commerce and holidays are a thing. So there's time.

Got it. I went through the same thing last job. We got acquired, I got huge figgies in RSU retention, bonus jump to 40% etc... 15 or so months later they cut staff. Some of it was rather stupid but it was mostly focusing on the fact that we were a remote location of a larger company and not a standalone. IE: Do we need in house localization QA? But the parentco never really figured out what to do with us, but good news! It took 4 years almost to the day before they finally closed the door. So you probably got another 2 years easy. (Oh and probably a really good severance package. I wound up with 90 days employment, yearly bonus payout, 16 weeks severance, and 16 weeks COBRA payments for the family (That started after the 90 days), plus PTO pay out.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

MononcQc posted:

They're treating you like a fungible cog in the machine, and this on its own tells a lot. I would personally consider this a "soft-firing" of the kind you've seen in businesses that suddenly go "remote employees have to move or quit."

I'm curious about stories of those soft firings. Like what is the actual case-law / settlements of someone refusing to do so and operating as remote? I assume at some point the company calls it job abandonment, and the person applies for unemployment calling it a dismissal but would love to read about how it actually shakes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

I picture three buckets:
1. companies that are totally hosed (e.g. tourism-adjacent companies) that will block any new hires
2. companies that are not really directly affected but are still a bit skittish, that might still fill existing openings but not publish new openings
3. companies that are still going quite well and whose hiring plans aren’t affected

ultimately any added difficulty of finding a job depends on how companies end up distributed into these three buckets

for example I got hired in the depths of the great recession at a bucket 3 company: they did work for cellular carriers doing network planning, and business was booming due to the LTE rollout at the time

I think there's a huge spectrum between 1 and 2. For instance my company is owned by a company that puts products on retail shelves. Right now those retail stores are shuttered for being non-essential. If they have to pay 2 months rent and utilities without income they're gone. If they're gone the parent company will take a big hit as it tries to find alternative channels. So despite being a tech company and not directly being affected we're well aware of what the future could bring.