Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

Looking for some advice. I'm leaving my job at a "startup" (post-ipo) voluntarily to get those figgies, on good terms. Last day is Friday, and I have an exit interview scheduled with HR where one of the agenda items is that they want me to sign this PIIA inventions assignment document before I leave.

I've signed everything they've put in front of me while I've worked there, which really just amounted to the typical new hire stuff around the time I was hired. I guess they must have forgotten this one (I came in along with a dozen others during an acquisition so it was a bit hectic and disorganized).

Anyway I have no intention of signing something for the sole benefit of covering HR's rear end, obviously, especially because it's a nebulous document that might interfere with my new job.

Just wondering if i have some obligation to do so? My last day is March 1, and by the time of my meeting I should have my final paycheck with the necessary deductions for my health coverage to last thru the month, so I don't think they can hold that over me.

So can I ask them for money? Can I ask to keep the computer they gave me? Should I just tell them to gently caress off? Should i be nice and just sign it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

The only reason I thought of asking for money is that it might be in the the same vein as a severance... you give me money, in return I sign whatever you want. but maybe it's an unrealistic idea

e: I don't think I have any inventions -- I do have a lot of open source work for the company, but it's all under their own org so I don't think it would matter

Fish Ladder Theory fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 27, 2019

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

Looking for some advice. I'm leaving my job at a "startup" (post-ipo) voluntarily to get those figgies, on good terms. Last day is Friday, and I have an exit interview scheduled with HR where one of the agenda items is that they want me to sign this PIIA inventions assignment document before I leave.
[...]

just to follow up on this, during the meeting HR was very nice and asked whether I wanted to sign it??? and I said no, and they said they understood. So i didn't get to demand money, but I guess I got a happy ending. huh.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

Phraggah posted:

Thanks for the thoughts you two.

Still looking for further advice or a magic set of words on how to shift the "we need to talk about compensation now or we aren't moving forward" shtick to me getting them to make an offer first

California is great for this.

them: "we need a number to move forward"
you: "what's the range for the position?"
them, forced to answer BY LAW: "x to y"
you: the high end of that is a great starting point

works every time