Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

dioxazine posted:

i think you're generally right. the well of recruiters trying to hire seems to have largely dried up. on the other hand, the number of recruiting companies seems to have exploded in count

job postings are pretty much spam these days

it's really bad to the point that i've been using a recruiting company to cut through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
fizz balls

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

One weird trick to get recruiters to leave you alone: trying to find PM work in tech from a non tech background

:smith:

i'm not looking for PM work but i do have a tech background (though not tech education)

lemme just say... i completely feel you lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

trying to redeem all my soft skills but they may as well be chuck e cheese tickets

yeah seriously, i feel like having a bunch of experience in the industry, learned knowledge, demonstrated knowledge, etc. ... just isn't enough. it's a soul crushing feeling

i really just started applying in earnest over the weekend, but i put in 24 25 applications so far and only got a bite on one

and it's in albany :smithicide:

admittedly it's a bit early to say i'm screwed for sure but having anxiety already isn't helping lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also i really, really don't wanna use linkedin but i guess i might not have much choice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

why don't you want to use linkedin?

in short, it's social media, which i generally avoid like the plague

i understand most places are using that as basically the recruiting platform though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah I really don't want to put a public profile out there either.

yeah that's part of it too. i try to keep my work and personal lives very separate and ever since i had even heard of the concept it was very off-putting

Asleep Style posted:

add former coworkers, put your resume in your profile, and never ever look at the home feed

i guess i can try this. not today though i've done enough job search related poo poo and it's driving me nuts lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

not saying its right, but ive known a couple recruiters who think its weird/sus/a red flag if you dont have a linkedin.

lol of course they do, the site basically does their job for them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Maybe they never shipped anything.

this is probably it imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

fizzbin is a card game

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

I'm at 0 for 20 right now (1 rejection, the rest non responses), most not in tech though, but in direct healthcare. all that's been in the last two weeks

:yossame:

i'm more 28 non-responses, three maybes, and one hard no. it's been about 10 days

:sigh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i figure i might just have to cool it a bit actually, a lot of the things i've applied for (mostly in media, some tech, some business) say 1-2 weeks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I am in the same boat man, it sucks so bad.

it really does, it's ridiculously demoralizing

i've also noticed that remote positions are kind of a rarity now, probably 85% of the listings i've seen were pretty old and the newer ones don't pay as well as ones that are hybrid or fully in-office

it's some serious bullshit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

I feel like businesses successfully salary arbitraged all the remote jobs offshore or to the middle of the country and just have recruiters going after people in Ohio or wherev

i literally did just now get screened for a remote job in cleveland

turns out it was actually hybrid so i noped out

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you can commute between cleveland and nyc

i've know people whove done it.

usually you go the other way tho

lol there's no way i'm commuting to ohio three times a week

if it were new jersey or something, or maybe even connecticut or pennsylvania: fine. not ohio

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean, if i were younger or didn't have a hosed up back i probably would have said yes

they were offering basically the same salary as a local position though, it's not worth it imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

could easily tack on an extra two hours from just getting out of NYC/nj traffic or snowstorms on i80

lol that's true too, even commuting to jersey city from here takes an hour on a good day

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

i'm just lookin at distance, i assume traffic is equivalent

330 vs 430 I think? i'm just surprised, i thought itd be farther.

i mean, i don't have a car even, i'd have to either buy one or fly. trains actually take less time most of the time

jersey city is about an hour by car during rush hour and it's 3.7 mi, the PATH train cuts that in half

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Amtrak is fantastic between NYC and DC, OK between Boston and NYC, and the scenic route everywhere else.

i did the accela from boston <-> nyc a few times, and when it wasn't delayed that was like 3.5 hours. thats probably doable but like hobbesmaster said not to ohio

flying was better though. back then a flight was like $50 one-way on jetblue, which was cheaper than amtrak, it was less than an hour and i live by 3 international airports. it was pretty painless all things considered

...but that poo poo's like $150 today, airline passengers are notoriously shitheaded and i bet the checkpoints take a really long time too

gently caress that lol there's gotta be a job around here somewhere

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

you'd think finding a job in the biggest city in the country would be easier :smithicide:

i'd say it helps knowing i'm not alone but it really doesn't lol :smithicide:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

update: just applied for a hospital pm job that had a "scheduling skills assessment" with questions like "if the project is 12 days behind schedule and the one remaining work package will take 7 days, what day will the project be done?"

also had the biggest salary for some reason

i had to do something like that too for uhh hopefully a different healthcare thing lol, it felt like taking the loving SATs again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

jfc we're applying for the same jobs :bighow:

lol you're probably safe

for me it was a bit of a stretch anyway, i don't have any experience with that kind of thing and apparently bombed the test. i got "proficient" which is one step above "completed" lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

woohoo i have two interviews monday (to be clear not the position theflyingexec was talking about though lol)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

right? if you're doing it cold its a numbers and marketing game. if youre doing it warm its not but you're not

do not stop prospecting until you have signed a job offer.

it could technically be three, i also got screened for a commission-based wall street thing that feels like a scam, but i don't know anything about that kind of position and have literally zero experience doing that kind of thing so i didn't respond yet

but when i saw it i thought "hmm maybe bdid does". it doesn't really seem like something i wanna do though and obviously commission isnt guaranteed

any advice? just let it go?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

again i appreciate the sanity check, and yeah, gently caress those guys

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qsvui posted:

but, but you're burning bridges??? :ohdear:

so does raytheon missile defense. they'll understand

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

making my way through the thread since i am going to be resume building and hopefully interviewing

i've been a technican and worked into a network admin role, and have done for almost half a dozen years. i do everything from customer end tier 1 call-ins to core/edge routing, is it reasonable to claim the full breadth of that stuff even though i don't have ccna/ccnp yet? is the cert worth the figgies increase?

absolutely list it, why not?

i got a ccna in like 2004 and it expired long ago so idk anything about the modern program, but i still list that when appropriate with "(expired)"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, being so polite as to not even state what is out of the question for you is not helpful to recruiters or yourself. i don't think anyone will be very surprised that loving raytheon is out.

lol seriously. if you wanna work for raytheon i guess thats on you. i dont

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the guy mentions it in the thread too but i've found that bingGPT is pretty well guarded against prompt injection kind of stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it really is pretty decent at it. admittedly i didn't try very hard, but immediately obvious ways don't work

the only way i've been able to get it to do anything even similar was by having a somewhat long conversation (it's limited to 15 replies anyway) and then telling it to modify a previous response that was way further up the stack

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i've been seeing listings for recruiter positions and just, lol, no

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

just passed on a sales position this morning actually, i don't think i can do it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

its true im a post ghost

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

getting passed on after interviewing 4+ times at a company over a month+ feels so loving bad I jave never had this ratio of getting interviews to not landing a job in the 15 years of my career

I lnow it's a numbers game but it's way easier to handle rejection at interview 1 than after a month of writing code and architecture for a place on and off

it sucks so much. it's much worse than not getting an interview at all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i would agree but thats like the one part of labor law the us federal government actually cares about unfortunately

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh i'm not unsympathetic, it's something my wife has had to deal with. legally both the employer and employee can get hosed hard though so i understand a hard pass on that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

afaik it's basically an automatic felony once you leave, and even assuming that doesn't cause you trouble you can't come back for 10 years anyway. i'm not really sure what they expect people to do in that scenario

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it depends on what you want to do at art school

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

like if its just a couple of courses at a community college or whatever? sure, you'll probably enjoy it and chances are you'll learn something

undergrad art school is actually difficult. a lot of people think it will be easy and wash out because of this. it's not just drawing, taking pictures, making movies, sculpting, whatever — you have to learn history, styles, artists, critiques, do presentations and galleries, etc. it's a huge pain in the rear end, very expensive and i can't recommend it on a lark

graduate stuff is basically more of the same, just... well, more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah the art students i knew in undergrad spent way more time busting their asses than i ever did for either my CS coursework or my humanities stuff. the art students also did more work than any of the engineering majors i knew

it is seriously a literally unbelievable amount of work, STEM majors have no idea lol