Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

i've always worn a suit in nyc interviews unless specifically noted not to by the recruiter. these were primarily banks and fintech firms. the only one who requested me not to was amazon and even then I wore slacks, tucked in dress shirt, and nice shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

qhat posted:

Reviewing co-op applications today. One guy stated outright in his cover letter "once you see my grades I know you'll want to meet me". So I check his grades and see some F's and immediately throw the resume in the garbage lol.
anyone who openly invites looking at his grades knowing there are F's on the report is obviously hilarious and probably deserved a sit down.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

only ever respond to in-house recruiters at firms you'd actually like to work for. delete everything else.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Valeyard posted:

"tell me about a time you hosed up"
it's amazon, right?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

prior to the ucf/auburn bowl game, i had a recruiter pitch me a "bet" on the game. if ucf won i'd get a bowl game t-shirt; if auburn won i'd have to listen to his recruiter spiel for a half hour. i accepted. ucf won; i didn't get a t-shirt.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

my experience with holding equity in small non-public companies is that large companies wanting to hire you will completely discount the existence of that equity when forming a competing offer. as they should.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

companies are universally terrible, especially in finance. work for figgies instead which finance has a lot of.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

the types of employers who do ask previous salary are a) not worth working for anyways and b) probably not going to be discouraged from continuing to ask when there's only a minuscule chance they'll face any monetary damages from doing so in the event they're ever actually reported.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

because we're decent at our jobs right?
lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

congrats! also, you dont need to explain poo poo other than that you're leaving in 2 weeks. cross that hypothetical bridge when you get to it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

"Feedback with all 3 interviewers was excellent but this is a timing thing and we're going to move forward with someone further along in the process. How about this other semi-related position instead?"

Interviewing is trash.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Raluek posted:

this seems like a good sign that people there actually take PTO
or they had hired a train wreck for the position back in May and are now cutting their losses.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

got an offer :toot: already at dece 6 figgies in nyc. this is +15% plus another 10-15% annual bonus on top. it's a solid offer for the position, not great. there's little doubt that it's much less of a shitshow organization than current employer.

only problem, it's in boston. that fills me with massive anxiety. i have until next week to decide if we're moving.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

even cool areas like somerville or cambridge or brookline aren't as good as the better areas of brooklyn or jc/hoboken. rentals in the seaport district are just as stupidly expensive ($3-4k/month) as manhattan without the unlimited job market to justify it. there are lots boston-ites there. there are drawbacks.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bloody posted:

the city of boston: its good
the people of boston: watch out!
privileged white dude with a wife and a 9 month old. i'm pretty much the city's target demo minus the jets fandom.

leaning accept with major reservations about uprooting. i'd need to find another neighborhood with a heavy SAHM stroller crowd to ensure spousal happiness.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

well sure, that seems like an obvious choice to me if you like money. london gigs dont pay (compared to the us).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

a friend of mine developed a pretty severe depression as a stay at home mom because all the other women in her neighborhood were russian gangster wives who wore gold lamé gym clothes all the time and they didnt like to hang out with the nerdy asian lady
sounds about right. mine has had a pretty severe depression because her poo poo fashion career could barely cover the costs of new york daycare, hence the sahm. add cliquishness of the mommy crowd and I get it. it sucks.

i told the boston offer to extend my deadline past this weekend so the wife and I can ride up and hang out in lesser neighborhoods than our own to see how we like them. they didn't blink and told me to take my time so that's a decent sign.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not gonna be any easier in boston
probably not. i signed the boston offer letter though. still need to find a neighborhood that doesn't suck and i'm not dropping notice until the background check comes back, which it should soon.

looking in cambridge, somerville, east boston, and charlestown right now.

meatpotato posted:

q to those of you who sought out a new job recently: how long / how many applications before you got a call back?
since mid May:
21 applications or referrals (2 in-house recruiters)
9 no responses
6 outright rejection form letters
6 phone screens
3 multi-stage interview processes (technical, webex, on-site, etc)
1 offer

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bloody posted:

where is the office
seaport district

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sure we’re coming from Hoboken and the idea would be to try to keep the lifestyle of a walkable, stroller friendly town with ample restaurants and day-drinking to minimize any regret and culture shock. pickings are slim yo. or pickings less than 4k for a 2B anyways.

Boston proper on the north or west end seem like options.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

i got a resume from a guy who decided that prefacing his name with "super" was a good idea. as in "super dan flemming". he did not get an interview.

people are weird.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

his linkedin was just his normal full name. he specifically added it to his resume.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

exactly. you might have killed that interview and the hiring process is totally out of that manager’s hands. keep at it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

qhat posted:

Greatest accomplishment is code for "a recent project you found difficult and solved a lot of problems".
i tried that answer approach during my amazon on-site and the dude was like really, that's your greatest accomplishment?

basically f amazon though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

so I accepted that Boston position with a projected start date of Oct 1 and I’m still interviewing in Manhattan. 1 screen and an in-person scheduled. also I haven’t notified current employer yet. not sure if I’m doing this right.

I’d probably feel bad if I changed my mind but here we are. :suicide:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I had a SpaceX internal recruiter reach out and I was like I’m totally unqualified for this position and there’s no way I’m moving to California but I’ll 100% take your call anyways.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bloody posted:

what about the Seattle area
spoke with them yesterday and this one requires relo to hawthorne. manager of sec ops position.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

still woulda been nice not to gently caress up, but i hosed up so catastrophically that i dont really mind.
like, did you accidentally start talking about goat loving or something? how could it be that bad?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

I think I got a job :toot:

congrats. getting new jobs is both cool and good.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

definitely a dubious claim by myself 5 minutes ago

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

new gig is a loving lonely existence. line manager is in London. direct report is in Munich and the systems engineers are in Delhi. throw on top of that an open floor sit anywhere you want policy and there’s basically no reason to be in the office. I could have stayed in New York.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Turnquiet posted:

someone help me levelset with reality here

ive been a fortune 100+ guy my whole career.
your usage of level set was the tip-off.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Family Photo posted:

what excuses have you used to take time off for in-person interviews?
always blame a pediatrician appointment if you can.

i ran into a situation where company wanted me to do a video webex with an interviewer in munich later that day. i had already took pto the day before so taking another was off the table.

found out about breather.com and rented office space in New York for an hour for about $60. took a late lunch. got job. anyways I recommend breather if you’re in a bind for work day video interviews.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pendragon posted:

exact phrase was "set your expectations properly" which is pretty good business-speak.
that's not business-speak; that's transparently rear end in a top hat-speak.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

this is probably my nyc fintech leaking but i see nothing wrong with wearing slacks and a tucked in button-down to the office.

we're allowed to wear jeans at the new boston gig and just about zero people actually do.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

meatpotato posted:

oh gently caress holy poo poo pissss
another big company is going to give me an offer Monday

I’m really stoked but I’m getting stressed, a week isn’t a lot of time to decide all this stuff, esp. considering i could be relocating to a new city

pull the trigger. experience new things. get figgies.

congrats.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://qz.com/1427621/companies-are-on-the-hook-if-their-hiring-algorithms-are-biased/

quote:

after an audit of the algorithm, the resume screening company found that the algorithm found two factors to be most indicative of job performance: their name was jared, and whether they played high school lacrosse. girouard’s client did not use the tool.
seems p accurate to me

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

two jobs ago we had multiple (2-3) people over the course of 6 months quit within the first week as a result of senior leadership selling the company and roles as something they weren't. the rest of us employees smiled and secretly acknowledged that they were the lucky ones since that was a trash organization. godspeed hit-and-runners

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

that sounds like most companies in the world. just say yes to the phone screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

unlimited vacation is a scam. minimum should be 15 days, 20 preferable.