Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Progressive JPEG posted:

But that said their P/E ratio is over 200 at the moment so I wouldn't personally pick equity lol

Overall market is looking at P/E resembling the late 90s, things getting frothy, and a flattening yield curve. Things are going to get really interesting real soon.

As for Netflix specifically, even with a historically optimistic P/E of 20, there's just no way Netflix can grow top-line 10x, even in theory. The crash will be fun and hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

meatpotato posted:

gonna look for a job in june, hope to find one by august

That's a plan for fail. Recruiter activity ramps up hard in mid-December to get people interviewing/hired by Jan 1st and steadily builds through March. After March things fall off rapidly for the rest of the year until next December rolls around.

Your search and interviewing process will take longer than planned as well. Unless you're in some super hot specialty, expect the hunt to take 3-6 months.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

daddy putting him through Harvard so that he had ample opportunity to network with the Right Sorts Of People?

Dongslayer. posted:

fake it till you make it works in college so

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

so what's the 4th/5th/6th biggest markets these days after the usual bay/nyc/seattle? boston? dfw? chicago?

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 19, 2018

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

LA austin boston

(you may not want to count the bay as one, unless you like commuting oakland to san jose)

so what's the hottest takes on austin these days? been hearing the market isn't too hot, at least on the IT side, and i35 is somehow getting worse.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

I swear the old saw about Indian recruiters breathlessly spamming short-term contracts on unreasonable commutes is getting worse. I don't remember the last one I saw of 12+ months and like 95% of them are in Research Triangle or some 3rd tier market in the Northeast Corridor when I'm in Arizona.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

so are suits still a thing east of the mississippi? at least for architect/manager level outside finance?

god i feel old for remembering when it was a navy vs black suit thing.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

qhat posted:

Here's a tip: if you're gonna wear a suit, don't go wearing the cheapest loving three piece you can find in the back corner of Walmart. Get it tailored, spend a lot of money, buy several, and get them cleaned often. I think nerds hate suits vociferously because they always wear the most ill fitting awful suits that do nothing but advertise their own inferiority above all else. Your suit should make you feel and look like a king, not a goddamn peasant

this. want to look pro generally for not much money? get cheap off the rack stuff, then get everything tailored, including random t-shirts. that and get basic dress shoes, e.g. cap toe, learn how to polish them, and take care of them frequently. shoe trees are you friend damnit.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

it was there. twice :shrug:

the weird grammar reflects some search optimization that I had a consultant do 6 years ago and have left mostly intact

mind you in this case I specifically know that the recruiter looked at the bottom of page 2 to see my irrelevant experience there

i got a cc copy some recruiter sent to the internal guys where they bumped up the font size, bolded, and yellow highlighted a bunch of stuff on my resume. it was a crazy mess to look at.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

the pros just ship their RSA token to china

somebody at one of my former employers actually did this by pointing a webcam at his rsa token. big public bank too.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every consulting firm on earth does this

true, but a bit different when it's some rando back office fte doing it in regulated finance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

qhat posted:

Official offer came through, total comp is 37.5% higher than my current role excluding options (which I also get), plus a 10k signing bonus. Can't hand in my notice soon enough.

Get approval for the largest PTO block you can, then submit your resignation while on your last day of PTO.