Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedZone
Dec 6, 2005

I'm currently looking to move to NYC in the next few months. I know it varies by company but what is a good offer for someone who has about 9 years of professional experience as a C++ and C# dev? I know the right answer to give recruiters for my expectations is "competitive" or "depends on the responsibilities" or whatever other evasive phrases I can think of, but if they come back to me with a number I want to know that I'm not getting hosed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedZone
Dec 6, 2005

qhat posted:

What are you pulling right now as a dev with that experience?

110K salary in a reasonable cost of living area (~1300/mo rent).

RedZone
Dec 6, 2005

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

Looking for some advice. I'm leaving my job at a "startup" (post-ipo) voluntarily to get those figgies, on good terms. Last day is Friday, and I have an exit interview scheduled with HR where one of the agenda items is that they want me to sign this PIIA inventions assignment document before I leave.

I've signed everything they've put in front of me while I've worked there, which really just amounted to the typical new hire stuff around the time I was hired. I guess they must have forgotten this one (I came in along with a dozen others during an acquisition so it was a bit hectic and disorganized).

Anyway I have no intention of signing something for the sole benefit of covering HR's rear end, obviously, especially because it's a nebulous document that might interfere with my new job.

Just wondering if i have some obligation to do so? My last day is March 1, and by the time of my meeting I should have my final paycheck with the necessary deductions for my health coverage to last thru the month, so I don't think they can hold that over me.

So can I ask them for money? Can I ask to keep the computer they gave me? Should I just tell them to gently caress off? Should i be nice and just sign it?

If you don't sign it, what are they going to do, fire you? They don't have any leverage in this situation so you can just tell them to gently caress off. I had a similar situation where an employer that I was leaving wanted me to sign some document saying I wouldn't recruit people from them for at least a year after I left. I had no intention of doing it, but I still didn't want to sign away my "rights" in exchange for nothing. You can try to leverage them to get some compensation, but I've never tried that or known someone who did. If you feel like it's going to burn a bridge and the industry is small where you live then maybe sign it, only if it doesn't interfere with your new/future jobs. Up to you really... but you're under no obligation to do them this favor unless you feel like it.

RedZone
Dec 6, 2005

raminasi posted:

onsite in 15m, feels like I’m walking to my grave

why do I care so much about this

I think the best lesson that I learned from interviewing at a bunch of places over my career is to not take it personally. I've passed interviews and gotten good offers, but I also have trail of embarrassing failures as well. If you're not a good fit then it's for the best, or its your unlucky day and the interviewer asked you the one question you didn't know. Move on and continue playing the numbers game.