Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any experience with new developers undercutting on salaries? I work for a company currently that was just hiring for a react developer, had quite a few applicants with 4, 5, and 10+ years experience who were asking for 150 and up but they hired some kid who has not had a coding job before because he said he'd do it for 50.

Is this a common thing among companies or is my company just completely poo poo-brained? (This kid is going to break things lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pie Colony posted:

also i hope there was a technical interview involved beyond "what's the lowest you're willing to work for"

lol, they basically have a "code up a fizzbuzz" and if you do, you are considered "passed"

that's about it.

this is a company where every couple weeks someone posts to the tech channel on slack "Hey my admin account doesn't appear to be working, who should i put a ticket in with" and there's no answer for about 3 hours and then "@poorfucker has left the channel"

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 2, 2019

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

lol massive red flag

yeah it's why i've been starting the process to get out of here - not least the fact that i'm a react dev and they have me working on php stuff 90% of the time

literally hiring a guy who will break so much poo poo that i have to fix in addition to my current job that is not in my job description

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

KidDynamite posted:

waiting to get contacted for an offer is the worst. i know my references have replied to the reference checks. i was patient because of the holiday. now time is crawling. also starting a big project at work and i don't even want to start it.

I feel you completely. My friend at the other company has reassured me with the ever so lovely "Oh the HR department has no idea what they're doing and is regularly in chaos so if they don't get in touch it could be just because they lost track of it."

Going to have to reach out and check in if I don't hear back by Wednesday.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
What's a good salary for a react developer with 5 years experience in Boston d'you think

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
React is just their base requirement, I can't think of any job in the industry that just does React, it's part of a whole front end engineer deal. They pressed hard for me to give them a number, so I just said 150 to give them something to haggle me down on, but since they just said "okay" I'm wondering if they don't understand negotiation from that point or if they're waiting for some kid to tell them 40 and for them to say "Hot poo poo you're hired" and they're thinking I'm too expensive or something.

edit: For Boston I'm definitely not working for less than six figures, I'd entertain 90k for something in Louisville/Iowa or something I guess.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 8, 2019

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah the job I'm interviewing for now made me take an IQ test, then conversation with HR, then next step is supposed to be a 1hr codepen exercise with their department head, then a take home if I get past that. It's a little fuckin out there.

And I did work in Louisville, it's a great city and I wish more companies would try to locate in quieter, midwestern cities; but they decided to pack me up and move me to Miami and when I got here the pay increase/title change never materialised. I asked about an increase and they said "yes yes you definitely deserve one, but we can't do that until October so you just have to wait." Fuuuuuuuuuck that. I should have said "okay, pay increase and title change and then I move to Miami, not before."

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Yeah apparently for my position they only go for over-130 IQ people... which is definitely loving weird. They didn't tell me how I did either, lol.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

qirex posted:

I'd guess this company bought an online survey for tens of thousands of dollars from a workforce optimization consulting firm because the hiring managers kept loving up or the ceo took a 10 question online "iq test" 15 years ago and scored 150

Oh definitely, you could tell it was some "online IQ test" thing wrapped with some corporate-speak.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Captain Foo posted:

holy poo poo don't work there even if you get an offer

haha ah poo poo yeah I didn't even really think about what this means for the current staff - they're all going to be mensa weirdos aren't they

fuuuuuuck me, yeah let's look someplace else

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is relocation just impossible these days? My company moved me to Florida and I just loving hate it here, but even with 12 years experience as a full stack I get to the phone interview and the conversation is just about how ridiculous it is to expect me to move. I'm not even getting to the tech interview these days because they don't want to move me. I've got to start lowering my price or explicitly saying I'm not expecting them to cover the move. I just can't take living in this fuckhole of a state anymore.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Not a Children posted:

This seems really weird to me, in my experience HR practically clacks its heels when you say you're open to relocation. Maybe let the issue sit until you're at the offer stage?

That's been my experience before too. When I worked in Kentucky and San Diego, I got relocation offers. It's only ever since I've gotten to Florida. I literally replaced the part of my resume that shows my current location with Current Location | Available to Relocate.

But I feel like maybe it's because I'm applying to jobs in New England - the talent pool that's closer has to be pretty robust.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

usually its only possible with larger companies. Does your current company have other offices to which they could move you?

That was the problem in the first place, ha. My current company has moved me 3 times in the past 8 years. I'm kind of the guy they send to a place to whip a lagging project into shape and meet deadlines (not that you'd know it from looking at my salary). Now that I'm older I just want to settle down, but I don't want to settle down here.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

dragon enthusiast posted:

time to renegotiate your compensation package.

Yeah that's another reason I'm out. My last increase didn't even cover my increased rent. At our reviews, which take place 3 months after merit increases because of course, I explained that I deserve a raise and they said "well we really want to, but that's a budget thing and we can't do that until October." I said that's bullshit, pressed the issue, but they just referred me to HR and HR said we can't do raises mid-year.

So yeah, they could triple my salary at this point, it doesn't matter. The disrespect has rotted the relationship. I've been half-assing everything I do because they are just not paying for my whole rear end.

It really doesn't help that most of my job is looking for problems in other peoples' code and you see the people getting paid more than you are not really meriting their level of pay. Today I'm looking at a piece of code that is used literally company-wide and what's the first line? var foo = eval(bar). I about poo poo myself.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

HR doesn't matter at all and your boss can get a raise thru if they wanted

Exactly. He's who I started with because I thought we had a professional enough relationship I could just point out the obvious, but he did this goose chase crap. It's about disrespect at this point. 12 years with this place and they're going to try to pull that poo poo with me. Just fuckin sucks and now I feel trapped.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wait, aren't US citizens eligible to work in the EU without a work visa, but they have to get a work/residence permit from the EU country when they get there?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah drat that sucks. I have a friend who comes from the world of sports analytics and speaks a little Catalan who I know is looking for something different, but that work permit thing is probably too messy.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
This isn't so much hiring or recruiting, but I have a friend who works at a little "build websites for local businesses" shop around Columbus Ohio that is about 20 years out of date, i.e. backend entirely written in perl. He recently asked them for a raise and they asked him to bring in his monthly budget.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

FMguru posted:

feel free to quote this threads current title text at him

lol yeah he's been trying to get out for 7 months, but poor bastard is a very loyal guy and didn't really think about "huh maybe saying I worked for 3 years as a perl developer won't be great for my resume in 2019"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

KidDynamite posted:

so my recruiter's boss reached out to me because the recruiter is on pto. she's calling me today at 2pm with "good news" now to make it till then without telling my director(who put me on pip for refusing to work weekends and is onsite from head office) smdftb during the team meeting today.

... suck my dick gently caress this bitch?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
place i'm interviewing at has decided to add an on-site interview halfway across the country which is news to me!

I think they always intended to do an on-site, but they forgot to tell me apparently?

I'm half-thinking I should just give it the ol' Dwight Schrute and be like "Look, you've interviewed 3 guys, 2 of them sucked but you're too nice to tell them no. And then you interviewed me who figured out how your codebase was costing you 100 extra dollars a month just from your codepen example. Do you want to waste time and money flying me out there or are you going to hire me? Hire me, do it now. 3. 2. 1. Hire me. Do it."

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Start ups are a heck of a thing. A new round of phone interviews has been added because the CEO has felt out of the loop on the process. I'm 90% sure I'm their only candidate.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
A company got in touch with me yesterday and I saw that it was contract, but I let them call me anyway and after their spiel I got to pull a "Oh this is contract? Oh I'm sorry, I don't do contract work." on em. There's no insurance, 900 miles away with no relocation cost, the contract is 2(!) months and 32/hr for full stack? Hell loving no what is wrong with you. This was for a senior developer. I was flabbergasted.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Not a Children posted:

holy poo poo, takes balls just to make that phone call

I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking. maybe that they'll strike gold if they just call enough people?

I think that might be it because I got an email at 10:30, I replied at 11 "hey yeah that's a nice area and I have family there so I'll hear you out" and they replied back 5 minutes later with "Is 12 okay?"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a recruiter keeps emailing me at work about a job in ogden, utah

who the gently caress wants to move to ogden, utah

i'm sure ogden is just fine but maybe focus your recruiting efforts on the greater ogden area, yeah?

I just got a recruiter who calls me at work. This is apparently a new thing.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Gettin interview offers out the wazoo all of a sudden - two in Dallas and one remote in Canada - Canadian job is 80k CDN which is paltry as heck buuuuut it's Canada and I will gladly make 30/hr USD to have universal healthcare and be able to live in Sask permanently.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
The trick, for me at least, is to never actually talk about work or skills in any way whatsoever and just talk about Canadian poo poo.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Munkeymon posted:

how 'bout them Leafs, eh?

I actually went in on the CFL, for true Canada Points - and I talked poo poo on how the Argos lost to my Riders. How do you manage to gently caress up against us? We haven't been able to put anything coherent together since Darian left, and then we bitched about how Montréal is going to kill the league because they keep screwing up their ownership issues, how it's time for Atlantic CFL to become a thing, and at the end they were like "so you do grid CSS layouts? Cool cool. Anyway, we'll let you know when we're ready to interview finalists in a few days"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

DrPossum posted:

Hey everyone, you may remember me from a few months ago bitching about my toxic work environment and quitting without a plan just to get away from it. I think I mentioned here that I did quit that way earlier this month which was a huge relief.

Just got a deec six figgie offer in a non figgieland locale. :)

gently caress you lovely former boss and gently caress interviewing for a few years hopefully

This post made me really happy and I wish for everyone in this thread to get this happy of an ending.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rex-Goliath posted:

company has me interviewing two potential consultant-managers out here so i guess i’ll post my trip report for the other side of the equation. first guy had technical chops out to wazoo but had almost zero customer-facing experience or any consulting experience to speak of. he’s probably gonna be rejected which sucks because he was real bright but seriously why the gently caress did this recruiter submit him for this position? dude was clearly out of his element.

:/

I've been that dude a couple times - recruiters straight up lie to you about what the job is because they hope by some miracle that it'll work out I think?

I'm like "yeah i'm a frontend expert and my mid-level backend experience is nodejs or python" and I get to the interview where they say "Okay so it says here you're proficient in Java are you on Java 7 or 8 right now"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hey I got an offer from a company! They want me to start in 'a week or two'. Additionally, the job is halfway across the country, lololololol.

You guys... know I currently work at a company I have to give notice at right? I'm not a vagrant with just a bindle to sling over my shoulder and now I can just hitchhike across the country to get there.

How long is acceptable to allow for a hire to move 1300 miles across the country?

At least now have something concrete to give to the other company that's been in the hiring process with me for 5 weeks now (I am literally the only person they're interviewing and are now scheduling interviews with my references) to say "you have to pull the trigger dude because I cannot say no to this company willing to pay me more but they will move on if I don't answer by Thursday"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Management posted:

if they want you there that soon they better be paying for a moving service that will pack and transport all of your stuff, renting you temporary housing, and providing a service that will help you find a more permanent place to move.

That's my same thought - I'm pushing back and saying what's my relocation stipend

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this has to be some kind of startup run by 20-something twerps

no big boy company is going to expect you to cross the country in a week

like... what if you have a house, and kids, and obligations?

Bingo!

The good news is since it's not a big ol' company, they're approachable, and I have scheduled a call to explain to them how reality works. They are just falling apart right now without a react developer to fix their last bad hire and they want to demo a new product by mid-September. I should tell them, hey, you can put me on the payroll now and I'll clone your repos remotely and look at them disapprovingly if you want.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

JawnV6 posted:

*shakes head, tosses resume in bin* bad Culture Fit

should've known there was a problem when this guy interviewed me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PYIH4dnL3I

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

do you typically get told how many stages there are up front or is it usually drip-fed such that you only know about the next stage?

ive never been through more than 2 stages of interview + an online test so this is kinda foreign to me

I once flew across the country for a whiteboarding session, they loved it, and as they drove me to the airport, they let me know that they will be in touch for the 'next steps'.

I'm thinking okay next step is let's talk hiring. Next step was a takehome test lololol.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
$('#restaurantAdminInput').on('input', function(){
this.setState({notificationDivText:'Eat My poo poo'})
});

There, just finished your takehome for you, trying to help out goons every chance I get.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

barkbell posted:

i've done it before and would like to do it again

As the coasts get hotter and more ecologically hosed up, I legit think tech people are going to start looking at smaller midwestern cities like Omaha and Des Moines - DM in particular is growing pretty quickly yet doing a very good job of keeping things walkable/sustainable. Would love to see them start investing in light rail though. And high speed rail to connect to Omaha and Minneapolis.... a man can dream.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pryor on Fire posted:

Have a backup plan, even if you're really at your job nobody is going to hire you as a developer past 40 or so.

The look of disappointment and shock when you first jump on a video call for an interview with some 24 year old is real. It gets so loving tiresome after a few months.

Yeah, ageism is supposed to not be a thing, but seriously that is why I am working very hard at saving enough that I can maybe just go back to operating a crane from 40 to 50 and retire.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Growing up there, I don't feel it as that bad - but after living in California for 5 years, I can see how people feel that way. To me, the midwest is really only unbearable for about 2 weeks in August.

However, after having lived in Florida for a year, I'm done forever complaining about humidity. This place is not going to be fit for human habitation in ten years, the wet bulb temp is going to be reaching 50c for months at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I was very lucky in the job I just accepted. They asked me for a number, I decided "we're at the end of this process, let's put my number out there" and they came back the next week with an extra 15k on top because the CEO decided to stop asking for a number and make salaries data-driven to eliminate unconscious biases when hiring women.

I'm just sitting there thinking "poo poo I was expecting them to negotiate me down"