Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cda

by Hand Knit

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i have found my meditation practice quite helpful in this regard

i still have all kinds of unwanted and intrusive thoughts but its easier to just open the hand of thought and let them go

at least it feels like it maybe im just getting old and boring :shrug:

The thing about intrusive thoughts isn't just that they intrude, it's that they linger, and meditation is good at helping them just pass through. Like, the problem isn't thinking "I need to keep my fingers balled into a fist so the car door doesn't crush them" for a second. it's thinking it for 30 minutes. With meditation you can learn to be like "ok, nice thought, way to go, buddy. Anyway, time to move along so the next thought can come in."

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cda posted:

The thing about intrusive thoughts isn't just that they intrude, it's that they linger, and meditation is good at helping them just pass through. Like, the problem isn't thinking "I need to keep my fingers balled into a fist so the car door doesn't crush them" for a second. it's thinking it for 30 minutes. With meditation you can learn to be like "ok, nice thought, way to go, buddy. Anyway, time to move along so the next thought can come in."

sometimes.

sometimes meditation can make rumination worse for me. it's a double edged sword. one of the best things i've learned with meditation isn't clearing the thoughts, it's exploring the why of the thought, and then being able to dissect it and then let it go. but only sometimes it works.

BCR

Maybe I should put my hand in that blender and turn it on?

Peg Sliderskew
Step away from the blender, son.

No, not to the top of the basement stairs!

Courtesy of Manifisto

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BCR posted:

no but clearly you're missing out on the urge to dip your hand into the kettle full of boiling water over and over, even though you know that is a terrible loving idea and would hurt you very badly, but you still want to do it with like, every fiber of your being, and if you don't do it you might somehow be convinced that you caused something terrible to happen to people who are in no way connected to you at all! hahahaha i love intrusive thoughts, they're the best.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

BCR posted:

(in this same vein)

Wow. This is a priceless and beautiful painting, here in this art museum. I wonder what it feels like.

Maybe if I touch it, I can enter its world.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

BoldFrankensteinMir

I locked the front door.

I definitely locked the front door.

I'm already 3 blocks from home and if I turn around I'll have to run to catch the bus, I locked the front door.

I locked the front door I locked the front door, I can just put it out of my mind at work until I get home, I locked the front door I LOCKED THE FRONT...

*Sigh*

*Turns around, runs home, checks locked front door, runs to bus-stop, barely catches bus*

I turned off the oven...

Sig by Heather Papps

Koishi Komeiji

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I locked the front door.

I definitely locked the front door.

I'm already 3 blocks from home and if I turn around I'll have to run to catch the bus, I locked the front door.

I locked the front door I locked the front door, I can just put it out of my mind at work until I get home, I locked the front door I LOCKED THE FRONT...

*Sigh*

*Turns around, runs home, checks locked front door, runs to bus-stop, barely catches bus*

I turned off the oven...

I used to have this problem but I figured out a little trick. Every time you lock the door do something weird like snap your fingers three times or think about a cow bursting out of a giant raisin. So when your driving away you'll be like did I lock the door? Oh yeah I did because I remember reciting pi to 10 decimals out loud while my neighbor watched. The only hard part is coming up with increasingly weird things since if you keep doing the same thing over and over you start going " Did I sing the theme song to Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers" over and over again as you drive away.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I used to have this problem but I figured out a little trick. Every time you lock the door do something weird like snap your fingers three times or think about a cow bursting out of a giant raisin. So when your driving away you'll be like did I lock the door? Oh yeah I did because I remember reciting pi to 10 decimals out loud while my neighbor watched. The only hard part is coming up with increasingly weird things since if you keep doing the same thing over and over you start going " Did I sing the theme song to Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers" over and over again as you drive away.

That's pretty much exactly what I do now, only I have a new alphabet letter I have to think of a three-sylable word for. Yesterday's was Albatross, so today it's Blackberry. Yes I locked the front door.

But why would you care about turning around and double-checking if you have a car? Just blame "traffic" and you can be 45 minutes late to everything.

Sig by Heather Papps

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Me, in the bathroom posted:

Is the War over?
No, the Empire stands united. The war continues.

take the moon

by sebmojo
even when im not feeling particularly suicidal i still get the urge to jump in front of subway cars or hop off bridges

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

spectres of autism posted:

even when im not feeling particularly suicidal i still get the urge to jump in front of subway cars or hop off bridges

What you want is excitement

BoldFrankensteinMir

The bird is not worth it friend, too much trouble for almost no meat and you never really catch it. Keep your feet on the cliff.

Sig by Heather Papps

kalel

...Huh.

I wonder if I'll ever hear anyone's last words, and what they might be.

...I wonder what my last words will be.

...Oh god, I'm gonna die some day.

Fuuuuck....

not ready

This would happen to me too. I wouldn’t really be depressed or anything but I’d constantly think about jumping in front of cars or jumping off buildings. I ended up getting on meds and I rarely think about suicide now. Meds and therapy really worked for me.

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

the french call this l'appel du vide~

its a crazy sensation and i had that once i was on a highrise looking down, and i was kinda weak kneed because i didnt want to accidently lean or get anywhere near the railing if i tripped somehow but there was a pull almost

i get bored a lot so my intrusive thoughts lately are "hey remember that dumb thing you did in school a decade ago? well here it is and im gonna slo mo it for you at every possible angl-AAAH!"

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

With meditation you can learn to be like "ok, nice thought, way to go, buddy. Anyway, time to move along so the next thought can come in."

unironic steven universe plug (spoilers fyi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHg50mdODFM

AverySpecialfriend fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 27, 2018

----------------

Peanut Butler

Lastgirl posted:

i get bored a lot so my intrusive thoughts lately are "hey remember that dumb thing you did in school a decade ago? well here it is and im gonna slo mo it for you at every possible angl-AAAH!"

yes these

mine tend to be like 'hey remember that woman you were in love with [4-15] years ago? you sure hosed that up buddy and heres how'

and what is most insidious about this is that dismissing those thoughts involves a negative thought, 'dude you are 35 years old why the gently caress are you worried about that get over that high school bullshit', which leads to just feeling self-berated for immaturity

meditation is nice for this usually! I need to get in the habit of doing it indoors, though, since right now I'm waiting for that random day when I can go outside and its not 0-10 degrees F outside

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
Yesterday I was diagnosed with having OCD and having associated delusions. The past few months have been really bad for me in regards to my intrusive thoughts. I've been super afraid of going to prison for a lot of reasons that really don't make sense. Then I went through a 5 day period where I was convinced that people weren't really real and I wasn't either. It made my life and the universe really bleak, because I felt like I could never connect with another human again and would be lonely forever.I was also way too afraid to tell my therapist or anyone else, because I thought if I told them what I was thinking they would believe it too and then they would start thinking the way I was.

I was prescribed anti-psychotics yesterday, which is a really weird feeling. I've known for awhile that my anxiety is based on delusions, but having a doctor tell it to me and say I need anti-psychotics is kind of surreal.

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 28, 2018

not ready

Gross Dude posted:

Yesterday I was diagnosed with having OCD and having associated delusions. The past few months have been really bad for me in regards to my intrusive thoughts. I've been super afraid of going to prison for a lot of reasons that really don't make sense. Then I went through a 5 day period where I was convinced that people weren't really real and I wasn't either. It made my life and the universe really bleak, because I felt like I could never connect with another human again and would be lonely forever.I was also way too afraid to tell my therapist or anyone else, because I thought if I told them what I was thinking they would believe it too and then they would start thinking the way I was.

I was prescribed anti-psychotics yesterday, which is a really weird feeling. I've known for awhile that my anxiety is based on delusions, but having a doctor tell it to me and say I need anti-psychotics is kind of surreal.

I was diagnosed bipolar 1 that includes hallucinations and delusions. I would have intense visual, audio, and olfactory hallucinations. I was also diagnosed with social phobia. I was barely able to leave the house or hold a job.

I was put on a cocktail of antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, and anxiety meds. It’s actually really worked for me but it took several months to adjust to the medicine.

I hope the medicine and therapy works to improve your quality of life.

Robot Made of Meat

Meds can definitely help, but finding the right combo can be incredibly frustrating. Glad you found some that work!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

not ready

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Meds can definitely help, but finding the right combo can be incredibly frustrating. Glad you found some that work!

It took me nearly two years to find the right combo and dosage. It’s a long and frustrating process. There were multiple times I wanted to just say fuggit and stop taking them. There are a lot of times that I have to remind myself of why I got on them in the first place. Meds make life endurable for me but they aren’t a cure all and are far from perfect.

Robot Made of Meat

not ready posted:

It took me nearly two years to find the right combo and dosage. It’s a long and frustrating process. There were multiple times I wanted to just say fuggit and stop taking them. There are a lot of times that I have to remind myself of why I got on them in the first place. Meds make life endurable for me but they aren’t a cure all and are far from perfect.

I'm glad you hung in there. Nothing's perfect, but some things make life better.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

just open the hand of thought and let them go

i really like this phrase, thank you friend

• Locked thread