Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Hades the Hocus

I remember the old world. I remember things as they were, without the rose-tinted lenses that blind others' eyes. I remember the world of injustice and famine and pestilence. I remember the starving and the enslaved figthing one another for scraps of dead body to feast upon. I remember the golden empire and the towers and the aristocracy grown obese, their lips dripping with the fat of their serfs. I was once a high priest, a magician, a courtier and a vizier. I saw how the royalty lived. I smelled the death and loathing on them. I went out into the world and gathered those who were downtrodden and we began our holy war against the exploiters.

1. Do you remember how you died? If so, what happened? If not, what do you imagine happened to you?
I was captured and burnt in the courtyard before the royal palace. The nobles jeered and teased me as the flames licked at my flesh, and I held from screaming for so long. When I could not keep tight-lipped a second longer, I screamed and bellowed that the days of kings and queens were over. That the days of the many were to come. That soon, the sun would rise on a just world, a world of chaos and kindness.

2. Do you remember where you were before? If so, what was it like? If not, how are you faring with being in a dark and strange place with no memory of what came before?
I was in a place of golden spires and bone towers. The sands were golden and the sky was rose. The men wore long black robes fringed with crimson. The women wore gowns of white silk. The serfs wore rags and tattood themselves with animal blood when they were grown too sick of drinking it in place of real food.

3. Where do you call home now, if anywhere?
Hadestown is a place, and a group, and a state of mind. It is a deep, dark underground place, trickling with energy from the maelstrom. Hadestown in the place, where Hadestown gather. They shed their weak, false shells and devolve into their true forms.

pre:
Look: Concealed gender, dark skin, tattered vestments, masked face, burning eyes, lanky body 

Stats:
Cool+0, Hard+1, Hot-1, Sharp+1, Weird+2

Moves: 

Fortunes: fortune, plenty, and want all depend upon your followers. At the beginning
of the session, roll+fortune. On a 10+, your followers have plenty. On a 7-9, they have
plenty, but choose 1 want. On a miss, they are in want. If their plenty lists keep, like 1
keep or 2 keep, that’s your personal share, to spend for your lifestyle or for what you
will.

Frenzy: when you speak the truth to a mob, roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9,
hold 1. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to make the mob:
• Bring people forward and deliver them to you.
• Bring forward all their precious things.
• Unite and fight for you as a war-band (size appropriate, 2 harm, 0 armor).
• Fall into an orgy of uninhibited emotion: coupling, lamenting, fighting, sharing,
celebrating, as you choose.
• Go quietly back to their lives.
On a miss, the mob turns on you.

Charismatic: when you try to manipulate someone, roll+weird instead of roll+hot.

Hadestown
Around 20 followers, loyal to you but not fanatical.  
(fortune +1, plenty: 2 keep, augury. Want: hunger, savagery).
Your cult
When you travel, they congregate in their own communities.

Your followers are devoted to you (plenty: +1 keep, and want: hunger instead of
want: desertion).
 Your followers, in ceremony, can reach into the world’s psychic maelstrom
(plenty: augury)
 Your followers are decadent, perverse, and violent (want: savagery).

Equipment:
Dagger (deadly: infighting)
Coin worth 4
Clothing suitable to your look (bone mask and tattered robes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

quiggy posted:

Hades
You come from a land of spires and towers, yet now cloister yourself with your followers deep below the earth. Why did you choose such a different place to make your home in this land, and how do you feed the mouths of the twenty or so souls that live in this subterranean place with you?

Towers and spires reach into the sky so that warlords and tyrants may look down upon the hellish kingdoms they have spawned. We burrow into the earth like the bones of the dead, for we are no better than those that came before us. Hadestown is a dark, wet, damp place. The mud is a womb from where our ideas are born and the longer that my acolytes spend in Hadestown, the more they regret the time they must spend out in the world above in the light.

As for feeding them, most of them feed themselves. They are members of the community and do as others do. They carve their lives in the land above and toil with all others. They are farmers and doctors and metal workers. Then by night they slink to Hadestown and revel with the rest of us. They are secretive and sneaky and hide in plain sight. Those who cannot afford to feed themselves in these bad times are fed by those few who have moments of excess. We are a community. We care for our own.

• Locked thread