Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Making a strongholder.

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Albrecht Donnerfeldt, Mercenary Captain

"I am not a man to bandy words. Hear me now, and know I speak the truth.
I am Albrecht Donnerfeldt, and here, I am lord.
I am no noble, and do not reach further than I can grasp, but should someone slight you, stay your hand.
If someone wrongs you, come to me, and I will see it made right.
If you bring harm to my people, you will find a shallow grave.
I've ruled here for three years now, abd in that time my fief has doubled in size, the number of my people tripled.
When they find a lord who can be trusted not to sacrifice them to some heathen god, to not strip them to their very bones, that is a rare thing in these parts.
There are still problems, of course. I was never taught ruling or such, and so I remain a practical man, fond of practical solutions.
I am fonder of the blade than the whip you see.
Still, I do wish you a pleasant stay."

quote:

Name: Albrecht Donnerfeldt

Look: Light-skinned, distinctive clothing, stern face, commanding eyes, massive body

Stats:
Cool+1, Hard+2, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird-2

Moves:

Leadership: when you have to order your war-band to advance, regroup, hold
position, hold discipline, or put their damned backs into it, roll+hard. On a hit, they
do it. In battle, this means that they’re fighting in ranks (cf). On a 10+, they snap to:
take +1forward. On a miss, they do it, but you’ll hear about it from them later.

Wealth: When your stronghold is secure and your rule unchallenged, at the
beginning of the session, roll+hard. On a 10+, you have plenty at hand and available
for the needs of the session. On a 7-9, you have plenty, but choose 1 want. On a miss,
or if your stronghold is compromised or your rule contested, your hold is in want. The
precise values of your plenty and want depend upon the details of your stronghold.

Stronghold:
Your subjects are many, 100–150 souls (plenty: 2 keep, want: hunger, disease).
It’s protected by simple ditches, fences, and low fieldstone walls (one advantage for defenders)
It musters and regularly drills around 50 warriors, and it has an armory of mixed and makeshift weapons and simple armor (2 harm, 1 armor, drilled against surprise)
Your stronghold defends a coastal landing (plenty: +1 keep, want: raiders).
Your subjects include skilled tradespeople (plenty: +1 keep, want: idleness)
Your stables keep mounts for 8 warriors, plus pack animals; horses (fast+1, strong+1, hungry+1, temperamental)

Your subjects are uncivilized and rude in their habits (want: disease).
Your war-band is a pack of bloody hyenas (want: savagery)

Equipment:
Dagger (deadly: in quarters)
Sword (deadly: in the yard).
Mail coat, helmet, boots (2 armor).
Clothing suitable to your look (ragged military).

History
Xíe, Who Walks Again +2
"Drowned" Tikorn +3
Pentaviso +1
Siroko, the Seventh Thunder +1

1. Do you remember how you died? If so, what happened? If not, what do you imagine happened to you?
There was a siege. We, The Eisenfaust were under contract with a duke, out for the lands of another duke. Neither of them are worth remembering.
We were leading the final assault when we were betrayed, and attacked from both sides.
We died fighting, and I truly hope the bastard cursed himself after the toll we took.
Personally I took a lance right through the sternum. A good charge, for all it helped him.
I saw my second put a crossbow bolt through him before the darkness came.

2. Do you remember where you were before? If so, what was it like? If not, how are you faring with being in a dark and strange place with no memory of what came before?
It was a grand empire once, forged in blood and flame. It lasted barely a hundred years, before blood and flame brought it low again.
That was thirty years ago, and I had been campaigning ever since.
Every man able to scrape some coin together began calling himself a noble, no matter blood nor deed, and leading raids against each other.
Good coin to be made, if you've got the stomach for it.
Anyone with sense had left long ago. I supposed I loved the land, in my own way.
Planned on settling down eventually, but so it goes.

3. Where do you call home now, if anywhere?
We found a ruined keep, my new companions and I, by the coast of a war-plagued land.
Broken Tooth, we've come to call it, because of how it juts unevenly towards the bay.
We were beginning to become too many to easily travel by then, burdened by a train of refugees, and so we settled down, and haven't left.
It was not what we were expecting, but so far it has worked, with only rare intrusions from the east and north by raiders and brigands.
It's only a matter of time, though, before the loccal "Lords" take notice and start demanding things.
I'm not sure what will happen then.
We have all had enough of being pushed around.

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 19, 2018

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Posted the rest.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

quiggy posted:

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

Some time ago, a man brought a woman before you with an interesting charge. They had come from the same realm, and in the past life had been married to another, but when he died and came here, he found that she had married another. He wished to see her found guilty of adultery. What were their names, in whose favor did you rule, and what punishment did you hand down if any?

His name was Huckert Rudeheart, dead the spring before he came to my settlement.
His former wife, Falche, had joined us sometime the year before.
He wanted to continue the marriage, she and her new husband disagreed.
After one hell of a row they came to me for arbitration, and this is how I put it.
"How many people live here?
As of now, 170 people. Of them, more than half were somewhere else before they died.
How many of them left someone behind? A wife, a husband?
Should I judge them all for leaving them behind and starting a new life, in favour of someone they might never see again? An oath sworn on the other side of death?
If so, should we also count true oaths of fealty, or business?
It might feel lika a betrayal, but those vows, Huckert, were they unto death, or beyond?
Should either of you die again, and once more wake up someplace else, must you both then hold out a vain hope that you will be reunted once more, no matter the chance?
Did you not bury her, Huckert, and speak the words of passing?
That life died with her, and then with you.
I judge in favour of Falche and Kurim al Chevro.
No blood will be spilt, nor gold demanded over this matter, let it be known."

It took me quite a while to think that one through, but I think it struck home.
Could have been a dangerous percedent that, old hatreds and loyalties flaring up more than they already do.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Albrecht Donnefeldt the Strongholder

Which of you have been with me since before?
In this circumstance, it would probably mean before we settled down.

Have any of you ever betrayed or stolen from me?

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 18, 2018

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Albrecht

Captain Foo posted:

Pentaviso, the Nightshade
Which one of you is my friend?

More or less, anyway.
You've certainly livened up the place from time to time, and that's rare enough here.
You've got a place by the hearth when you want it. After all, a happy populus is one not spoiling for a fight.

LogicNinja posted:

Xíe, Who Walks Again, the Child of Battle
Which of you can I trust?

I'd say me, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?
Either way, you've always done right by me, and I won't forget that.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Siroko, the Seventh Thunder, the Sword Master
Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me?

We stood together against a mad sorceror and his band of frothing barbarians.
I don't know who he was or what he was after, but if you had not been there, many of my band would not be here now.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Captain Foo posted:

Pentaviso
Albrecht, what about me has got your eye today?

The way you watch people.
I can tell who is a fighter or a coward, who will stand and who will run, who to press and who to placate.
But I suspect you see so much more.
(Highlight Sharp)

Tikorn, if you can tear yourself from whatever you're wasting your time with, a stat?

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Hey, sorry for the absence, making a post now.

Got real busy for a while, but it's cleared up.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Hey, I've been away from any pc for like a week and just got back.
I'm writing up something to post when I've slept.

Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Hi guys, sorry about the silence.

I hit a pretty major depressive slump right before I dropped out, and I just kind of dropped everything.
Getting better, but you know...

Sorry about any delay I caused, and good luck with the game!

• Locked thread