Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

IDK why you guys have such a loving chip on your shoulder jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

"wow this guy who obviously doesn't follow car racing at all reading this pr piece for his boss says it's kind of exciting??? gently caress u b1tch :bahgawd:"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm sure Wickens wished he was a baseball player instead right now

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Chill out dude I'd much rather post my sarcastic comments here than on Twitter :colbert:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

whenever i manually unblock a wirth post, i regret it

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/12WillPower/status/1042801648278618113

and

https://twitter.com/AlUnserJr/status/1042802876156989441

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

whenever i manually unblock a wirth post, i regret it

same but everyone in S-A-S

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

He's a coward for not kissing it

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

He's a coward for not double birding it

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
On a serious note, why doesn't the Borg-Warner bust have WillPo flipping the double birds, that could easily be added to it

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

WindyMan posted:

On a serious note, why doesn't the Borg-Warner bust have WillPo flipping the double birds, that could easily be added to it

an old person in Indiana just clutched their chest

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

How about 3 cars for Carlin, and restarting his Lights team?

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/carlin-prepares-for-three-indycars-in-2019-revives-lights-team-/3180577/

e: I wonder if this is Jones' landing spot.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 20, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

How about 3 cars for Carlin, and restarting his Lights team?

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/carlin-prepares-for-three-indycars-in-2019-revives-lights-team-/3180577/

e: I wonder if this is Jones' landing spot.

It’s hypothesized right in the story, and Jones drove for Carlin in Lights previously too. Would make sense. Carlin also suggests it could be an oval/road split between two drivers (which I’m guessing has more to do with potential budgets than one driver having more oval experience than others).

Neither Max Chilton or Charlie Murphy really got going this year, which is likely a combination of young engineering team and the new aero kits. Hoping they solidify, as another team with 2-3 cars routinely is great for the series.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

It’s hypothesized right in the story

i mean sure if you actually *psh* READ things

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

i mean sure if you actually *psh* READ things

It's a David Malsher article so it's actually filled with a little thing known as quality journalism and worth the read

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/robertwickens/status/1043220962458644481

I can't tell what's going on here, is he actually moving his legs on his own? What's with the "electrodes" hashtag?

wicka fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 21, 2018

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I can't tell what's going on here, is he actually moving his legs on his own? What's with the "electrodes" hashtag?

I think the machine is using electrical impulses to the legs to make them move to prevent atrophy.

Either way that's the most :unsmith: thing I've seen in a long time

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, thats a setup commonly used for paraplegics. Doesn't mean he is paralyzed, but still. Good to see hes got neck movement and stuff too.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
With the extent of his injuries I'm really curious now what IndyCar meant by Wickens directly assisting with his own extraction from the car.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Directly telling them hes pretty hosed.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-teams-eyeing-out-of-work-f1-talents/3181208/

quote:

On the subject of whether Robert Wickens' huge Pocono accident had affected how Europeans perceived the dangers of IndyCar, Coyne replied: "It's affected all of us, hasn't it? I mean, people understand about laying it all on the line for the Indy 500 and everything that comes with it. But racing in front of 12,000 people at 220mph at some of these other tracks, it's fair to ask what we're doing, why we're doing it."

:stonklol:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
That was one of the things pointed out when Wheldon was killed. I think there were 17,000 people at the track and the event was pumped for months in advance. It just made his death feel extra senseless.

e: I mean not that dying at Indy infront of 300k people would be any better, but I get Coyne's statement

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The last Milwaukee race had like 30k people iirc...

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Because a real racer doesn't do it for the crowds and admonishment. He does it for the race itself. To go wheel-to-wheel and come out on top. It's not about crowd sizes or where the race happens-- when you're competitive then al lthat matters is besting your rival in honourable combat.

Dale Cyone is just a loving MAGA chud who needs to get banned and his poo poo rear end team shut the gently caress down for bringing the entire sport into disrepute by giving a ride to fellow MAGA Ferrucci.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Because a real racer doesn't do it for the crowds and admonishment. He does it for the race itself. To go wheel-to-wheel and come out on top. It's not about crowd sizes or where the race happens-- when you're competitive then al lthat matters is besting your rival in honourable combat.

Dale Cyone is just a loving MAGA chud who needs to get banned and his poo poo rear end team shut the gently caress down for bringing the entire sport into disrepute by giving a ride to fellow MAGA Ferrucci.

Sir this is a Taco Bell drive-through

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Ferrucci isn't even close to the worst loving guy Coyne has given a ride to lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wow 12,000 people? That's like 2 f1 races!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tfw racing is honourable combat

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Ferrucci isn't even close to the worst loving guy Coyne has given a ride to lol

Ferrucci is a terrible human being, though.

Otherwise I agree. This is a guy who employed Dennis Vitolo repeatedly. Dennis Vitolo was so bad he got parked for “handling” in Toronto.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Being a lovely driver isnt the same thing as being a lovely human

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CactusWeasle posted:

Basticle fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 23, 2018

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Grand Prix race winner and saver of childrens lives, Pastor Maldonado

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pastor was a good lad and lost his ride for unclear reasons (racism???)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CactusWeasle posted:

Most (all?) of the owners are maga chuds and most of the drivers are maga chuds, so probably a bad line in the sand.

Except for JR, he coo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Most (all?) of the owners are maga chuds and most of the drivers are maga chuds, so probably a bad line in the sand.

Except for JR, he coo.

Surely not Dixon

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Let's not go sticking our noses into the individual politics of racing personalities, how bout? Racing is what I watch to avoid the lovely garbage that is American politics

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Let's not go sticking our noses into the individual politics of racing personalities, how bout? Racing is what I watch to avoid the lovely garbage that is American politics

Just read this and shut up https://deadspin.com/the-new-yorker-looks-to-a-stupid-man-to-answer-an-even-1829120337

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Cygni posted:

Except for JR, he coo.

I follow very few drivers on twitter because I don't want their likes showing up my page and exposing this fact. (I should really just quit using twitter but I'm almost there anyway)

Except for JR, he coo.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Not cool enough to win the 2011 Indy 500, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Not cool enough to win the 2011 Indy 500, though.

He redistributed the win