Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Let us not forget Darth Pagenaud

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/891030328508153856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

thisLambo posted:

If there (ever) was a bump day , it'd be great if Sage was bumped. By [insert hilarious driver choice here]

Tristan Gommendy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/cosworth-seeking-engine-partner-for-indycar-1005719/

Kinda surprised Cosworth wouldn't be able to enter ICS on their own.

Why does it surprise you. The last time Cosworth was completely independent in Indycar they got blown out by the manufacturers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Why does it surprise you. The last time Cosworth was completely independent in Indycar they got blown out by the manufacturers.

When in the world was that?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

"It looks like we're going to be at a minimum of 34 cars, maybe 35 or 36, which is brilliant for the Speedway," Schmidt added.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147465-schmidt-90-percent-on-third-indy-500-entry

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

New bump day procedure: Only qualify 32 cars, then have the remaining drivers race USAC midgets at IRP to determine the final entrant.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

When in the world was that?

87-91. In 1992 the Ford badging (and money) returned and they were basically instantly competitive. If they entered now it might be the Lotus-Judd MK II.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

87-91. In 1992 the Ford badging (and money) returned and they were basically instantly competitive. If they entered now it might be the Lotus-Judd MK II.

It's 2018.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
If there are 34-36 cars qualifying, they'll have to move Pole Day back to Saturday and Bump Day to Sunday. It wouldn't work the way it has been the last few years.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

It's 2018.

You need money to win. Manufacturer money. It would be nice if I was wrong but...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

You need money to win. Manufacturer money. It would be nice if I was wrong but...

It's not a particularly expensive series or complicated engine formula. It may well be that Cosworth still can't afford it, but it's literally the exact opposite situation from the late 80s.

Anyway, McLaren should buy Cosworth.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Problem with any race affiliated group that stops racing for a long period is all the dudes who really want to go racing (and can command racing-level salaries) leave, and brain-drain takes over. I'm not convinced Cosworth could come in and compete right away anymore, their last pro level project I'm aware of is the Nissan LMP1 in 2015.

Cosworth, prove me wrong in 2020 bitches.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm, uh, genuinely surprised Cosworth is even still a thing. I was really surprised to see their name on that IndyCar onboard.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm, uh, genuinely surprised Cosworth is even still a thing. I was really surprised to see their name on that IndyCar onboard.

Thats Cosworth electronics, previously known as Pi Research. They are one of the biggest players in racing wire harnesses, data aq, all that stuff.

The powertrain side of Cosworth is different.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Life Comes at you Fast.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the best ending

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That car looks like a cartoon character that totally expected this ending.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

That car looks like a cartoon character that totally expected this ending.

something straight out of the Flinstones - *squawk* "It's a living"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh come on every NASCAR champ in that race crashed. Now crashing in the 500 that will be something of note.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/192458938582?roken=cUgayN&soutkn=XoyqG5

quote:

It's a package deal of 2 stickers for $25 to help my friend Robin Miller cover the mounting medical bills during his fight against bone marrow cancer. Payment goes directly to Robin's bank via PayPal. The more stickers you buy, the more medical invoices we make disappear.

Drawn by the great Roger Warrick, Robin's dear pal and occasional nemesis A.J. Foyt serves up a warmly deceptive smile while pressing the button on an air strike using some of his favorite tools of destruction--a laptop, a hammer, a steak, and a rocket carrying one of his classic criticisms.

"That's for certain sure," another of Super Tex's catch phrases, brings it home.

The 4-inch square sticker is durable which, considering the abuse Miller gives most of his friends and fans, seems fitting.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
drat, that sucks, I had no idea about Robin Miller. $25 is unfortunately a drop in the ocean when it comes to leukemia treatment, my dad is easily well north of $600k in medical bills so far with his treatments and hospital stays. Thankfully he has good insurance and hasn’t had to pay a dime.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It took 250 grand to cut out my wife’s tumored thyroid. We also have good insurance, so we payed a fraction.

What I’m saying is, seize the means of production.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147551-continental-expresses-interest-in-indycar

would rather keep firestone, UNLESS WE GET A TIRE WAR BABY

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

would rather keep firestone, UNLESS WE GET A TIRE WAR BABY

The war ended a long time ago. All hail King Firestone

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Conti had all sorts of trouble at Daytona 24 this year though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not keen on a tire war.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm not keen on a tire war.

Agreed. It does nothing good for the racing, the series, the teams, or the fans. If there's going to be a war, do it the same way they did the brake test. Blind test them, pick a winner, everyone gets that.

With that said, while nobody in the series wants to publicly badmouth their only tire supplier, I don't think all of the teams are actually happy with the tires they have, especially from a QC perspective.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 21, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147556-mark-miles-interview-part-2-indycar-sponsorship-new-engine-partners

Marshall did a two-parter interview with Miles. There is nothing earth shattering or unexpected, but it does sound like they are optimistic for just about all the unknowns that will be addressed this year. Title sponsor, TV deal, and new engine builders. On the engine builder specifically:

quote:

"It's all talk until we have the result, but people are taking the calls," he said. "There were at least half a dozen international calls after [the] Sonoma [season finale in September] and to this point. A couple of those are still ongoing sort of developmental conversations, so that's encouraging, and that doesn't include domestic manufacturers, where there's some activity, so we remain optimistic.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

MP posted:

"We're looking at a bunch of different opportunities, but don't have anything we can discuss at this time," Continental Tire marketing director Travis Roffler told RACER.

Just more rumor mill masquerading as news that MP is famous for. At least you guys find it enjoyable and I guess it qualifies as coverage of the sport we all love :iiam:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Just more rumor mill masquerading as news that MP is famous for. At least you guys find it enjoyable and I guess it qualifies as coverage of the sport we all love :iiam:

so here's the thing that I don't get. if somebody was going to pass along rumors as fact in this way, wouldn't they also be lovely about breaking every bit of news regardless of NDAs as well? Of course MP doesn't have the gumshoe reporter college degree and background, more a retired racer turned writer, but he's broken enough stories that are ahead of everyone else and accurate that it has to be more than the usual fluttering of rumors.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

hell yeah i find it enjoyable

Continental being interested in IndyCar isn't really a surprise, they publicly bid on the IndyCar tire deal before in the brief window where Firestone walked out of negotiations. I don't think it really counts as rumor mill if its true and nobody denies it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

It's the same kind of news as Cosworth coming out and saying they're ready and willing to make Indycar engines. Well, of course they are. We hear the same from them every two or three years. Doesn't mean it's not news when they formally come out and say it (again).

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Ten years ago.

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/65277/champ-car-and-irl-confirm-merger

I'd say we've come a long way.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Agreed.

Though Mark Plourde would disagree.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxe2EUYCyDc

new cars are looking wiggly (and also looking fantastic) at sebring

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxe2EUYCyDc

Holy hell the new cars look awesome and lmao I feel so bad for the drivers going over all those bumps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

This is extremely my poo poo.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I like the noises the Chevy engine makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I guess I'll add everyone's favorite driver to the list of confirmed Indy 500 Entries :smith:

quote:

Karam, the 22-year-old driver from Nazareth, Pennsylvania, will enter his fifth Indy 500 and fourth with the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing team. Karam won the "Hard Charger Award" as rookie competitor in the 2015 Indy 500 and put on a sensational drive from 23rd to fourth in 2016 before retiring from the event on Lap 94 in DRR machinery. Karam won the Indy Lights championship in 2013.

Karam will take the No. 24 DRR Dallara Indy car to the IMS oval for the first time on Tuesday, May 15, when practice rounds open on the famed oval. Qualifying for the 102nd running of the Indy 500 is set for Saturday, May 19, and Sunday, May 20. The start for this year's Indianapolis 500-Mile Race is scheduled for 12:15 p.m. ET Sunday, May 27.

I guess there's a teleconference tomorrow morning with Karam and Dennis Reinbold. But this part of the email was pretty interesting

The Dreyer and Reinbold family has an impressive legacy at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway dating back to the 1920s with legendary car builder Floyd "Pop" Dreyer. Dreyer's grandson, Dennis Reinbold, has served as a car owner in the Indy 500 since 1999 and has recorded four top-10 finishes including a best of fourth in 2012.